molecular mimcry

• Anonymous
      March 10, 2010 at 10:58 am

[I]Somehow, this struck me … and I find it somewhat disturbing … not because melanoma was subject — well, maybe because it was. It is cancer. And my cancer and CIDP appeared at about the same general time frame.

Anyway … for what it’s worth:[/I]

“Molecular mimicry in chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy and melanoma

“From the Laboratory of Molecular and Cellular Neurobiology (Drs. Weiss and Quarles) and the Neuromuscular Diseases Section (Drs. Luciano, Semino-Mora, and Dalakas), National Institutes of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD.

“Polyclonal immunoglobulin M antibodies to the monosialoganglioside GM2, sulfoglucuronyl glycolipids, and sulfatide were detected by thin-layer chromatography and enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay in the serum of a patient with melanoma and chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy. [U]Both the patient’s serum and polyclonal antibodies against GM2 reacted strongly with a biopsy of melanomatous tissue from the patient, suggesting a process of molecular mimicry[/U].”

• March 10, 2010 at 2:13 pm

Hi Rocky,
      I have read that all imune diseases if not controlled lead to cancer because of the inflamatory response in the body. This explains the molecular reasoning for it. Some abstracts suggested that the inflamatory process triggers the growth of cancer scells already present in all of us. Thanks for the info.

• Anonymous
      March 10, 2010 at 6:51 pm

Rocky,

The research I’ve done into causes of Peripheral Neuropathy of any sort all say that one known cause is the presence of undiagnosed carcinoma’s, melanoma’s, and lymphoma’s.

Carcinoma and melanoma are often thought of as “skin” cancers, when, in fact, they can, and do, present “inside” your body as frequently as they do “externally”. So, it all makes sense to me.

Elmo

• Anonymous
      March 10, 2010 at 9:00 pm

[QUOTE=Elmo]Rocky,

The research I’ve done into causes of Peripheral Neuropathy of any sort all say that one known cause is the presence of undiagnosed carcinoma’s, melanoma’s, and lymphoma’s.

Carcinoma and melanoma are often thought of as “skin” cancers, when, in fact, they can, and do, present “inside” your body as frequently as they do “externally”. So, it all makes sense to me.

Elmo[/QUOTE]

[I]Hi, Elmo … yes, my conclusion as well. Skin cancers come in many forms, squamous being not such a problem, but basal cell and melanoma being the nastiest.

I know “they” have connected breast, lung and ovarian cancer to CIPD.

I’ve wondered which came first … my breast CA or the CIDP. I am pretty firmly convinced that the tinest beginning of the breast CA stoked the fires of my immune system … and away I went. ( with apologies to Jackie Gleason ). Had I not been due for a bi-annual mammogram, I shudder to think where I’d be now … with either the CA or CIPD … or both.[/I]

• Anonymous
      March 12, 2010 at 7:18 pm

Meaning cancer or CIDP?
      In your case IF your CIDP preceeded the detection of cancers, it’s likely but not always a ‘paraneoplastic’ neuropathy. Doesn’t change treatment approaches tho.
      In my own case, it’s likely but never to be proven as key cancer testing prior to my diagnosis of CIDP were not done. And the BC showed up less than 2 years after the CIDP onset. And before CIDP diagnosis. I’ve copies of 98% of all the tests to show that aspect. Not to mention the odds of it happening? They are so very, very small.
      [url]http://www.pnseuronet.org/[url] Is a great site about a heap of research that’s been done and is still being done in this quarter. This is the pertinent research about Paraneoplastic neuropathies that mite be relevant. [url]http://www.pnseuronet.org/waht.php[url]. I find it interesting that Europe is doing a lot of research to put things in perspective.
      As I stated before? The odds against it are enormous and usually difficult to prove.
      Did you have any chemo or rads for the cancer[s] before numbness onset or did the numbness preced the cancer diagnoses? Either way, hard to assess. as cancers can incubate for about 5-7 years before being detected. Treatments are still the same. I truly wish it were different, and I know how you feel [sort of?] Hope and good things!

• Anonymous
      March 12, 2010 at 8:23 pm

Personally, I think we’re (those of us here) genetically predisposed to auto-immune disorders, and once the snowball starts rolling….watch out!

That said, I’ve known SO MANY people that had cancer of one form or another, and afterwards started having various other conditions…RA, Neuropathies, etc.

Hard to put the bullet back in the chamber, once the trigger’s been pulled.

Elmo

• Anonymous
      March 12, 2010 at 9:35 pm

I believe it can at times be called an ‘immune cascade’. Thanks a lot… Once the horse is out of the burning barn and burning itself to boot?
      I have found nearly all sites sort of ‘tippy toe’ around this issue, as it IS hard to prove and the odds are soo much against it? Further, some folks tend to go into panic mode at the thought of cancer. But that number? .1%? is really really small. Maybe with better diagnostic techniques this # mite change in the future. I honestly expect it to.
      I personally would rather face it all head on, knowing that it is a possibility or lilkelihood and thus being better able to deal with ‘consequences’ as they arise down the road.
      I have to say that my testings and diagnosis for CIDP did prepare me for further cancer testings. Lots of them. The more I learned about cancers, the diagnosis was very similar to that of the CIDP diagnosis, that of a process of eliminations…tho aspects and treatments were/are much more invasive than the majority of CIDP tests.
      All I keep hoping for is that that BALL rolling downhill? Doesn’t roll over me and flatten me. Given my osteo status of late? I’d definitely be squashed! :rolleyes: For me? Gee, feels sooo good when I stop hitting my head against the nearest wall! Usually, neither fare well for some unknown reason. Not for the long run.
      IF CIDP and GBS treatments haven’t leaped by bounds of late? At least Cancer treatments have.
      Don’t ever let fear be your master tho? You can get your docs to work for you better if you are honest about any fears, and also about your strengths and ability to persevere. The last two can help you get your docs working FOR you a bit more! Honesty and not a snow job can work wonders for the long term. Just based on my experiences, mind you.
      Just keep faith in YOU! and How you FEEL and what your body is telling you… try to convey that all as accurately and ‘clinically’ as possible to your docs? Go from there forwards. Where else do we have to go? Hope and other good things too!

• Anonymous
      March 13, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Good points, HA. And, honestly, that’s pretty much where I’m at presently. I’ve been given every possible test (except an LP), and the results are “muddy” at best. So, I could continue to go around chasing a diagnosis and obsessing about it all, or I can accept that things probably have to get worse before any changes will occur in my diagnosis.

I’ve not been dealing with all this in the best possible ways, to I’ve made an appointment with a counselor to talk things through. I’m self-reflective enough that I know what’s going on, I just don’t know how to change it. As I told my wife, I’m like a tangled up extension cord…and I can’t untangle myself…I have to have a little help. AND, my constant talking/thinking about this is showing effects on my marriage. I have nothing NEW to talk about, so I talk about the same old stuff, over and over. My wife pointed out the other day that all I seem to talk about anymore is illness or work; both of which are major stressors for me.

So, I’ve decided that a) I’m sick, b) there’s not a whole lot I can do about that right now, c) I need to accept the concensus of several doctors and just treat what I have currently, and d) get on with life. No, I can’t do things I used to, but I can still do other things. Yeah, I hurt a lot, but I’m gonna hurt whether I’m doing something I enjoy or whether I’m sitting having a pity party. I have to set limits for myself…I’ll only work a certain number of hours a day, and then I let it go, and do things that help me relax. My wife also pointed out that I USED to read a lot, or sit and watch TV, actually LAUGH (OUT LOUD, EVEN). She hasn’t seen me do any of those things in a long time. So…I move on.

And, honestly, I don’t know what it matters. Either things will stay the same, and I’ll just have to deal with symptoms as they arise, or I’ll get a diagnosis of CIDP or something similar and HAVE TO DEAL WITH SYMPTOMS AS THEY ARISE. I mean, it’s not like I’m gonna find a “cure”, right? Yeah, if it’s something worse, an early diagnosis would prevent further degradation, but right now, no doctor seems to think it’s “that bad”.

Don’ t take that as “I’m giving up”. I e-mailed Dr. Lewis, and he recommended two doctors locally; they don’t take my insurance, of course, so I have to wait until September to see them, which, if history is any lesson, is how long it will probably take to get an appointment anyway. And, if things continue as they are, there will be more symptoms for them to consider at that point. The last neuro I saw suggested “small-fiber” neuropathy, and said that one of these two is the only one in the state doing skin punches for neuropathy.

So, as things change or arise, I’ll deal with them. But, in the mean time, I have to get on with my life. I’m not going to throw it away obsessing about this, alienating my family, and making myself sick (literally) with worry. I’ll still lurk once in a while, but honestly, I probably won’t be around a lot. Reading these posts isn’t the best way to keep from spending too much time thinking about your illness, ya know? 😉 At least not for me.

I’ll be praying for you all, and will check in periodically. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have a loving wife to attend to… :p

• Anonymous
      March 14, 2010 at 11:45 am

[QUOTE=Elmo]
      So, I’ve decided that a) I’m sick, b) there’s not a whole lot I can do about that right now, c) I need to accept the concensus of several doctors and just treat what I have currently, and d) get on with life. No, I can’t do things I used to, but I can still do other things.

So, as things change or arise, I’ll deal with them. But, in the mean time, I have to get on with my life. I’m not going to throw it away obsessing about this, alienating my family, and making myself sick (literally) with worry.[/QUOTE]

[I]Good for you, Elmo! That is what’s known as a positive attitude. I commend you!!

Hugs,
      Rocky[/I]