MNGIE neuropathy

• Anonymous
      April 12, 2010 at 11:49 am

[I]This caught my eye because several times here I’ve read of GI problems. [/I]

[COLOR=”Navy”]MNGIE neuropathy: Five cases mimicking chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy

Richard S. Bedlack, MD, PhD 1 *, Tuan Vu, MD 2 3, Simon Hammans, MD, FRCP 4, Steven A. Sparr, MD 5, Bennett Myers, MD 1, Joel Morgenlander, MD 1, Michio Hirano, MD 2

1Division of Neurology, Duke University Medical Center, 932 Morreene Road, Box 3333, Durham, North Carolina 27707, USA

2Department of Neurology, Columbia University, New York, New York, USA

3WellSpan Neurology, York Hospital, York, Pennsylvania, USA

4Wessex Neurological Centre, Southampton General Hospital, Southampton, United Kingdom

5Department of Neurology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York, USA

email: Richard S. Bedlack (Bedla001@mc.duke.edu)

*Correspondence to Richard S. Bedlack, Division of Neurology, Duke University Medical Center, 932 Morreene Road, Box 3333, Durham, North Carolina 27707, USA

Keywords
      demyelination • inflammation • mitochondria • mitochondrial myopathy • peripheral neuropathy • thymidine phosphorylase

Abstract
      We report five patients with mitochondrial neurogastrointestinal encephalomyopathy (MNGIE) who had demyelinating peripheral neuropathy. The MNGIE neuropathy had clinical and electrodiagnostic features typical of acquired, rather than inherited, etiologies. In fact, three patients were actually treated for chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (CIDP). We discuss findings that may help distinguish patients with MNGIE from those with CIDP. [/COLOR]

• Anonymous
      April 12, 2010 at 8:46 pm

Did the neuropathy come first or the infection? Not always an easy call, as much as one would like it to be..
      I DO LOVE THE PHRASE: ‘clinical and electro diagnostic features of “acquired rather than inherited” etiologies’ Why? Because most nearly all research so far has been done on the ‘ineherited’ ones… little on the ‘acquired’ ones.
      Acquired immune diseases for the most part? As Rodney Dangerfield would say? Get no respect! We neither part of the inherited nor childhood disease ‘boxes’, we don’t fit anywhere and yet, here we are?
      I will NOT beat my head against any wall! [Repeat that five to 50 times?] and you will get to live with the inequities. Just don’t let them get to you! Hope and pain free moments…

• Anonymous
      April 13, 2010 at 10:47 am

[QUOTE=homeagain]Did the neuropathy come first or the infection? Not always an easy call, as much as one would like it to be.. …[/QUOTE]

[I]Everything about this CIDP seems a matter of chicken/egg. :confused:

Doesn’t really matter … if we have it, we have it.
      But I’m a bit of an obsessive/compulsive and
      when I get my teeth into something, I start digging.
      May yield no answers, but info that is, at least, new to me.[/I]