Medicare Part D

• Anonymous
      June 12, 2006 at 2:26 am

Some of our members are using Medicare Part D. Will you share positive/negative experiences with the rest of us.

Regards,
      Marge

• Anonymous
      June 19, 2006 at 11:21 am

Hi Marge,

I am with Anthem Senior. They have a drug plan that is about the best I’ve seen. I get most drugs for $25 a 3 month supply.

I do know someone who is in the low income catagory. She filled out a short form and is now getting most of hers for no cost.

• Anonymous
      June 23, 2006 at 9:49 pm

[COLOR=red]Medicare D is ok so far …[/COLOR]

• Anonymous
      June 30, 2006 at 10:38 pm

Hi Marge,

As of the end of June I have reached the, as It has been called, the Grand Canyon of Medicare Part D.

I will know the next prescription to find out if I have to pay full price or what.

So far it has saved me quite a lot of m,oney. Time will tell.

Judy

• July 5, 2006 at 11:56 am

I signed up in December of 2005 with coverage beginning on January 1, 2006 with Humana. I used the Medciare.gov tool to choose the best plan for me based on the medications I take and the pharmacy I prefer. Before Part D, I was eligible to receive many of my medications free from the manufacturers. Unfortunately, I receive just a pinch too much from Social Security to qualify for their premium reimbursement program. But, Part D is worth the premium each month for the peace of mind it offers me knowing I have a way to get the medications I require.

• Anonymous
      July 11, 2006 at 2:20 pm

Hi everyone,

After 2+ months of discussion–including a letter to the CEO of my former employer which finally stirred action by the company–Medicare, and AARP United Health Care, I finally have been enrolled in Part D. (Loud cheering from everyone who listened to my outbursts!)

Has anyone hit the donut hole yet?

Regards,
      Marge

P.S. My comments about the intelligence level of government employees will have to wait until I learn tact.

• July 11, 2006 at 7:07 pm

I chose a plan that had no gap and no deductible. The premium is a pinch higher each month but it’s worth every cent to not have to contend with paying big prescription bills for a period of time.

As for the government employees you have to look forward to dealing with, prepare for every person who is a brick shy of a full load. My last encounter with Medicare had me on the phone for 3 1/2 hours (yes, hours) with NO resolution. Wanna know the burning question I was asking? :confused: Ready? Seated? What dollar amounts went towards my 2006 deductible? She couldn’t figure it out but was very nice about it. She kept saying, “I’m sorry this is taking so long. I’m sorry I can’t figure this out.” I asked if there was someone else that could help me and was told that ALL the supervisors had left for the day. Yea, right. This all started because they applied too much towards my deductible. To date—still not resolved but at least I got their attention and my call got logged into the computer. Best wishes!! 😀

Take care,

• Anonymous
      July 29, 2006 at 9:46 pm

Well, I waited till the pharmaceutical companies told me NO MORE FREE STUFF…….

I signed up with AARP, qualified for free premiums, and all of my scripts only cost me $2.00 a piece.

The only thing I don’t like is trying to get a drug approved on the formulary so I don’t have to pay full price. It is a pain in the butt because you have to get your primary doctor to write a letter as to why you need this medication and so on and so forth. You would think something as simple as Xanax would already be listed.

I am not really sure what happens when I hit that magic # but I guess I will cross that bridge when they build it.

Angela

• Anonymous
      July 30, 2006 at 5:30 pm

From today’s NY Times:

July 30, 2006
      Medicare Beneficiaries Confused and Angry Over Gap in Drug Coverage
      By ROBERT PEAR

WASHINGTON, July 29 — Tens of thousands of Medicare beneficiaries who signed up for prescription drug coverage are paying monthly premiums, but Medicare is not paying any of their drug costs because they have reached a gap in their coverage.

The gap, the notorious “doughnut hole,” is upsetting many beneficiaries, and it has become a potent symbol as politicians debate the merits of the new program.

Federal officials and outside experts say that 3 million to 3.5 million people may fall into the gap this year, about half the number predicted. While lawmakers and lobbyists were well aware of the problem, it is attracting fresh attention because many beneficiaries are just now discovering it.

The original estimates assumed that people would sign up for drug coverage in January, but many waited until April or May. They will file fewer claims than expected and are therefore less likely to reach the gap in coverage this year.

Poor people eligible for Medicare and Medicaid have no gap in the benefit. In addition, many retirees found that employer-sponsored health plans provided better drug benefits than Medicare, so they stayed in those plans, which rarely have a gap in coverage.

Beneficiaries often learn about the doughnut hole when they try to refill prescriptions. They may be asked to pay $75 to $125 or more for a drug they had been receiving for a co-payment of $20 to $30.

Marcella Crown, 80, of Des Plaines, Ill., near Chicago, takes Lipitor for high cholesterol, Diovan for high blood pressure, Synthroid for thyroid disease, Fosamax for osteoporosis, Nexium for heartburn and several other drugs.

Mrs. Crown signed up in November for a drug plan offered by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois. Her coverage began in January, and she reached the coverage gap in April.

Her husband, David F. Crown, a retired mechanical engineer, said: “Blue Cross is saying that even though she will get no benefit, she must still pay the premiums. That’s outrageous. We have never had insurance policies that gave us no benefit yet required us to pay premiums.”

Melvin A. Kinnison, 65, of Huntington Beach, Calif., a retired deputy sheriff with diabetes and prostate cancer, said: “The drug benefit was fine for a while, until the doughnut hole came around. It was a total surprise. Nobody ever explained it to me.”

Mr. Kinnison said he reached the coverage gap in June. The cost for a month’s supply of Cymbalta, which he takes for diabetic nerve pain, jumped to $104, from $20.

Former Senator Dave Durenberger, a Minnesota Republican who runs a national health policy forum, said, “The doughnut hole could have negative repercussions for Republicans in the November midterm elections.”

Democrats hope that is the case. The coverage gap is “a goofy idea,” said Senator Byron L. Dorgan, Democrat of North Dakota.

Administration officials play down such concerns.

Dr. Mark B. McClellan, administrator of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, said beneficiaries had already saved about $1,500 by the time they reached the coverage gap. Beneficiaries concerned about the gap, Dr. McClellan said, can often reduce their costs by switching to generic drugs and by taking advantage of assistance programs offered by many states and by drug manufacturers. Next year, he said, they can switch to plans that offer some coverage in the gap.

While beneficiaries are generally responsible for all drug costs in the gap, they do have access to discounts negotiated by their plans.

Many beneficiaries, like Mr. and Mrs. Crown, had heard about the coverage gap but did not fully understand how it worked.

Under the standard drug benefit defined by Congress in the 2003 Medicare law, the beneficiary pays a $250 deductible and then 25 percent of drug costs from $251 to $2,250. When total yearly drug costs, paid by the beneficiary and the plan, reach $2,250, the coverage stops, and the beneficiary pays 100 percent of the cost of each prescription, until the person’s out-of-pocket costs reach $3,600. At that point, insurance resumes, and the beneficiary pays about 5 percent of the cost of each drug. The tabulation of costs begins anew each year.

Wen A. Daniels of California Health Advocates, an insurance counseling organization, said she had clients who reached the gap in January or February because they were taking high-cost drugs like Avastin, Gleevec and Iressa for different types of cancer; Pegasys for hepatitis; Betaseron for multiple sclerosis; and Tracleer for a life-threatening lung condition.

UnitedHealth, the largest sponsor of Medicare drug plans, with 4.5 million members, said that 45,000 of them had reached the point where the coverage gap begins.

Jacqueline B. Kosecoff, chief executive of Ovations Pharmacy Solutions, a unit of UnitedHealth, said that 13,000 beneficiaries now had to pay the full cost of their medicines. The other 32,000 receive low-income subsidies that reduce or eliminate their co-payments, Dr. Kosecoff said.

Mrs. Crown fell into the coverage gap much sooner than she had expected. She thought she would not have to pay the full price for drugs until she had spent $2,250 of her own money. In fact, the gap begins when total spending, by the beneficiary and the plan together, totals $2,250.

“I did not understand the rules,” Mrs. Crown said. “When I heard about the doughnut hole, I thought it referred only to the amount that I paid for my prescriptions.”

Other beneficiaries have underestimated the size of the coverage gap. They incorrectly believed that it would run from $2,250 to $3,600, the figures emphasized in brochures published by the government and insurance companies.

In fact, the coverage gap is twice as large as those numbers would suggest. The $2,250 is a measure of total drug spending. The $3,600 is a measure of out-of-pocket costs; it corresponds to about $5,100 in total drug spending. Under the standard benefit, a consumer is personally responsible for $2,850 of drug spending in the coverage gap — the amount from $2,250 to $5,100.

Most people with Medicare drug coverage, about 90 percent, are in plans that differ from the federal prototype. One insurance plan may have a $20 co-payment for a particular drug, while others charge $30 or $50. People taking the same drugs in different plans will reach the gap at different times and will pay different prices once they are in the gap.

Some plans partly fill the gap by covering low-cost generic drugs. A small number of plans also cover brand-name drugs, but beneficiaries usually must pay higher premiums.

Lawmakers do not defend the coverage gap as sound health policy. Rather, they say, it was a way to limit the cost of the new program while providing some benefits to almost everyone, comprehensive coverage to low-income people and generous catastrophic coverage to people with high drug costs.

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2006 at 4:55 pm

I chose the AARP/United Health Care policy because it covered all my asthma meds, although some of them are not generic. I transferred all my prescriptions to Duane Reade, a nearby in-network provider who deliver. It appears that my out-of-pocket costs will be $149 per month, about $60 more than my employer’s insurance plan. The plan does not pay for Ativan but I use them on a limited basis.

Perhaps I should have posted this on the political thread but the company for which I worked has a prescription plan for retirees which excludes people who have been on long-term disability. Rhetorical question: Why does the administration permit corporations to discriminate against the disabled? I worked for 39 years before I became disabled, 25 years for this company.

Regards,
      Marge

• Anonymous
      August 3, 2006 at 2:33 pm

[QUOTE=marguerite]I chose the AARP/United Health Care policy because it covered all my asthma meds, although some of them are not generic. I transferred all my prescriptions to Duane Reade, a nearby in-network provider who deliver. It appears that my out-of-pocket costs will be $149 per month, about $60 more than my employer’s insurance plan. The plan does not pay for Ativan but I use them on a limited basis.

Perhaps I should have posted this on the political thread but the company for which I worked has a prescription plan for retirees which excludes people who have been on long-term disability. Rhetorical question: Why does the administration permit corporations to discriminate against the disabled? I worked for 39 years before I became disabled, 25 years for this company.

Regards,
      Marge[/QUOTE]
      Unfortunately this occurs all too frequently in our society. Corporations look at the bottom line (profits) and as a result could care less about the disabled. It’s called capitalism. Under the Bush administration things have only gotten worse. This is a private sector problem as well as a public sector issue.

For example, it took my doctor and PT months to get a new wheelchair cushion for me (mine old one was 5 yrs old). My power wheelchair broke down after 8 yrs of service. Medicare kept denying a new chair for me. I was told Medicare could care less if I ever left my apartment again. Medicare even went so far as to say they never received the required paperwork. My neighbor stopped by to see me as they were wondering why I wasn’t out and about. When they found out about my wheelchair, they arranged to have it fixed for me. $2000 is a lot to lay out and I felt terrible about it. They gave me my life back and I will always be grateful to them.

I feel for you. I really do. Unfortunately Corporate America is a cold cruel place.

• Anonymous
      August 6, 2006 at 11:54 am

I’ve done okay with some aspects of corporate America. However, in spite of the federal Disabilities Act, corporations rarely make accommodations for their disabled employees.

My former employer hires borderline retarded men as mailroom staff and as floor messengers…the only requirement is that they can read; they are the most loyal, hardworking people I’ve ever met. But, aside from that very visible, very public relations oriented step, nada.

Regards,
      Marge

• Anonymous
      August 7, 2006 at 6:55 pm

I worked for a large Wall Street law firm that went above and beyond the call of duty when it came to my illness. Granted I was with them for 12 years and I worked for the managing partner. I definitely would not have done as well if I had worked in Corporate America.

• Anonymous
      August 13, 2006 at 9:24 pm

[COLOR=red]I’ve had good luck with Medicare so far, but I fear the future 😮 [/COLOR]