Medical Marijuana disaster

• Anonymous
      April 16, 2014 at 11:03 pm

Hi, a few weeks ago I tried medical marijuana for the first time to deal with nerve pain. It was a disaster. Within minutes the pain shot up from a pain level 3 to an unbearable 8 that lasted for hours. I had to take 3 doses of hydrocodone 2 hours apart to get the pain down.

I have CIDP associated with antiMAG IgM for 13 years, now complete numbness in feet and lower leg, in a wheelchair for six years. 2 years ago it started affecting the autonomous nerve system with chronic pain. It is in my rectum, usually a 2 or 3, sometimes up to an 8, trigger unknown. CIDP has never caused any pain before. The suspected location is the levator ani nerve. It also caused the bladder to stop working completely requiring a catheter.

Recently I started on Lyrica. I don’t know for sure yet if it is helping.

I used two different hybrid marijuana strains in a vaporizer. I tried it 4 times to make sure it was the marijuana. It had the same result.

Did anyone have the same experience? Any suggestions.

• April 17, 2014 at 12:22 am

Thank you for having the courage to try this treatment and share the results with the rest of us!

No doubt others suffering from CIDP pain have thought about experimenting with this drug. I don’t think everyone would have the same responses, but caution and coordination with a doctor seems to be in order for those interested in trying.

I hope the Lyrica works well for you and lowers your pain. Please keep us updated.

PS – Did you happen read the posts about pain centers here: http://www.gbs-cidp.org/topic/what-else-is-there-other-than-physio

• Anonymous
      April 17, 2014 at 1:27 am

thanks Jim, I did go to a pain center my primary internal medicine doc recommended. I got a lot of good information about nutrition and effect on inflammation but walked away with a prescription for Lyrica. The doc called my experience with marijuana a paradoxical reaction. My primary who gave me the required legally required authorization had no useful comment. Dispensary where I bought the marijuana just sent me this answer.

Hi Norb,

That is very unusual, and I have not heard of those issues before. The two strains you mentioned are supposed to be strong pain relievers. Marijuana does have a strong effect on the nervous system, and that could be causing the painful reaction.

I’m not really sure what to suggest, however I would check with the doctor that gave you your medical authorization. They might be able to offer suggestions.

Sorry we couldn’t be more helpful.

• December 8, 2014 at 6:58 pm

Buying Marijuana off the street is a very unpredictable experience with strength and type. Typically, the indica strain, is used for neuropathy and other pain. Where the sativa is used for nausea and appetite. The 2 strains have a very large difference in the cannabinoids present. The one for pain is not as likely to cause as much euphoria as the sativa variety. In fact the one cannabinoid used for epilepsy is devoid of euphoric side effects. The only way to be sure you’d be getting the correct variety of marijuana is an approved dispensary, where the staff can be EXTREMELY helpful in guiding you to the correct form and variety that would help the condition you have a prescription for. Otherwise, you are just taking your chances with what you get and if it is really marijuana or “spice” or the synthetic versions that may or may not be legal in your state. Only buying from a regulated dispensary can you be sure to be getting what you really need and may, or may not work.