Medical ID?

• Anonymous
      August 28, 2006 at 2:29 pm

Someone suggested to me that I get a medical ID that says something about having GBS, anyone else have one of these? Just curious if there is a good reason to get one. Also, on the Neurontin it says to have a medical ID if taking that, and am again wondering if that is necessary of if that is just on there so people with epilepsy have ID on them.

Thanks for any feedback.

• Anonymous
      August 28, 2006 at 2:57 pm

Hi,

As far as neurontin, when used for seizures, it has to be with you at all times, and if having one on the streets, the med boys can identfy what drug to administer, or what not to, in case that happens. They all know what a siezure looks like per say, just not what kind and what’s the right med to bring it under control. Hence the bracelets. For us, as a pain med, you can stop right now, and the only thing you’ll experiance, over days, is increasing pain agin. Hence, no need for a bracelet. As far as GBS itself, once the treatment haults progression, or basically kills it, you no longer suffer from GBS the disease as if its active in some way, but the residuals left behind. So, what’s there to treat by just having a bracelet that said you had it? Now, bracelets with those bar codes that can have your medical records on them, might not be a bad idea, just to speed up the time in an ER while they track them down, but on the street, they will determine what they observe the problem to be, try to treat that and stabilize, then off you go to the ER.

• Anonymous
      August 28, 2006 at 3:21 pm

Thanks for the quick post. I had a feeling there was really no reason to have ID for taking Neurontin. GBS has been halted and the paralysis I had has gone away, still have many of the other symptoms like the numbness, pain, issues with balancing, lack of reflexes, inability to feel hot/cold, etc which is the reason someone suggested I have some type of Med ID. They had said that because I had impaired motor skills, lack of balance and reflexes they thought I should have a medical ID. But since it sounds like that is not the case I wont worry about it. I have enough attention drawn to me by my crutches or wheelchair the way it is I dont need to add a medical bracelt into the mix if not necessary (plus I’m all about saving money these days as the medical bills come in 🙂 ).

• Anonymous
      August 28, 2006 at 3:46 pm

After I broke my neck, I got a medical ID to help me get through airport security due to all of the metal built into my spine. I wonder if a similar ID regarding Neurontin would be of use for frequent travelers if questioned in airports? Just a thought.

• Anonymous
      August 28, 2006 at 4:37 pm

Hi agin,

All prescriptions require a person to carry those meds in the prescription bottle they came in. That identfies that med to the person and is all you need. Just ask Rush Limbaugh.

• Anonymous
      August 29, 2006 at 12:51 am

My thought is: I would rather wear a bracelet stating GBS residuals than to be treated for some other diagnosis that doesn’t exist. Residuals can mimic so many other things. . .

• Anonymous
      August 29, 2006 at 6:33 am

A number of us are on blood thinners and that should be on a bracelet.

I always wore a bracelet because of my asthma meds and, the one time I could not talk when I arrived in e.r., nobody checked the bracelet or called Medicalert.

Regards,
      Marge