Man made materials inside the body

• Anonymous
      August 12, 2008 at 11:34 pm

I have been thinking back to some past cidp flare ups I have had over the years.
      There have probably been 4 minor outpatient procedures I have had in an effort to stay on top of things as I slowly wear out. One particular procedure, the doctor installed a mesh patch to help close a hernia repair. Since then I have moderate numbness in that area.
      A Previous knee repair has left me numb also. I always had attributed the knee numbness to the severe swelling that had accompanied the trauma. I am rethinking this now that the last surgery for lumbar microdiscectomy triggered a huge relapse with numbness that climbed as high as mid thigh before recently retreating.

I had a nice size lypoma removed from the lower back area 12 years ago, that caused severe leg aching that disappeared 4 months later until these more recent flare ups I have had over the last 2 years.

Laser PRK caused eye inflammation more than normal.

Septoplasty did not cause any issue I can remember.

With the possibility of the body rejecting anything artificial, you have to wonder. If I get the tiniest splinter in my finger, it blows up like right quick.

[B]Does anyone who has artificial material within their body (Plates, screws, patches joint replacement or even repetative surgery) had any correlation to the onset of their CIDP symptoms?[/B] If so I am interested in the type of symptoms and how severe it may have become for you. Any other related thoughts would be appreciated. Still looking for my cause. May never find it. Thanks-Tim

I am beginning to think me and surgery do not go well at all.

• Anonymous
      August 13, 2008 at 1:15 am

Tim,

Surgery can cause GBS onset or flare ups and recurring GBS, the same is true for CIDP – many patients have had this happen to them. Have you heard a news ‘snippet’ recently that claimed that all the drinks and food we eat from plastic bottles and bags are causing all sorts of health problems over a period of time (specially in our children)? I wonder how true it is, and why the story almost dissapeared immediately :rolleyes:? The same with the problems teflon causes …….. If this these things cause problems just by staying in contact with our food and drink, imagine how much worse it must be once inserted or used to operate in someone’s body, specially those with autoimmune illnesses.

• Anonymous
      August 13, 2008 at 4:07 am

Hiya.

I’ve had two biopsies done in the past eighteen months, and except for having dissolvable stitches not dissolve but instead work their ways up and ulcerate the scars, I haven’t had any problems. 😮 But then I have a more progressive form of CIDP along with a couple of other autoimmune disorders, and have been on a slow downward spiral for two or three years.

Deb
      London

• Anonymous
      August 13, 2008 at 6:56 am

Hey Tim,

I’m feeling WAY too lazy to retype this but here is a thread from the Adult-GBS forum regarding surgery and onset or worsening of symptoms…

[url]http://www.gbs-cidp.org/forums/showthread.php?p=63336#post63336[/url]

I know I’m not having surgery again unless I’m desperate!

Julie

• Anonymous
      August 13, 2008 at 8:16 am

Ohh yes! Right after my third child I had my tubes tied. They used metal clips instead of the old procedure they used to do. I kept telling the doctors that I felt like my body was trying to reject the clips and wanted them removed. But my insurance company refused doing a reversal and the cost back then I could not afford. I had major problems after that procedure. It later landed me to have a total hysterectomy. Kind of funny but after they got removed I noticed an improvement. So it is quite possible. My mother had cataract surgery and now has implants in both eyes. She now has to take steroid drops on a constant basis because her blood vessels get inflammed in the eye causing pain. So rejection with auto immune diseases I believe can happen!

• Anonymous
      August 13, 2008 at 9:14 am

Interesting, thanks,

I reported all my past surgery to all my diagnosing doctors but never specifically asked about the mesh patch. I wonder if they would even think to realize when you state you had a hernia fixed that something unnatural is in there. They may believe though that I doesn’t matter at this point, you can’t go in and remove it, it is bound within the fiber of the muscle tissue once healed. You certainly can’t go in and undo any joint replacement, thats for sure. Many people do wind up with screws from bone fracture, I have heard of having them removed in some cases.

Once the body accepts the material, you have to wonder, has It made the CIDP more supceptable or sensitive to the other triggers. Flu shots, surgery, anesthesia, virus, bacteria infection etc.

I do have two outstanding things, a torn meniscus, and minor stenosis in the C levels. I am with Julie, I won’t do a thing about it until I am absolutely hurting and there is no other option.

• Anonymous
      August 13, 2008 at 9:23 am

I had Lumber Spinal Stenosis on my spine with 3 disk from a car accident. Had to have surgery on my spine and the surgery was a success. But 3 weeks after the surgery I had the massive attack on my nervous system. When it comes to that spine and the nerves around the spine. Let’s just say because of what just happened to me, I will never have spine surgery again!

• Anonymous
      August 13, 2008 at 10:13 am

Tim, certainly some interesting questions you have posed here. I had major surgery about 15 years ago and can’t recall anything unusual happening at the time. I did get another round of chronic hives, but that was about it. My residual symptoms really came to a head about 4-5 years ago, and I haven’t been able to tie them to anything in particular, although I would sure like to.

I have been really wondering what part stress in our life contributes to our symptoms. Certainly potential surgery and/or illness can cause us stress. Stress is now being connected to almost every thing including cancer. Any thoughts?

• Anonymous
      August 13, 2008 at 1:02 pm

Yeah,

We probably will never be able to attribute what makes us worse or better on any one particular thing. Each person trying to figure it out on their own is probably just part of what we must go through to come to terms with the whole thing and at the end of day, it won’t make too much a difference on things, but, Ya have to try. All the accumulated thoughts we each acquire does assist in individual personal management with the doctors though and does provide an overall better feel for things.

With all the talk of Cellcept on several threads, from what I am gathering from everyone, it is like a anti-rejection type med. With that said, that is where I am coming up with the implanted materials thing. I do understand the cellcept is more for like organs and implanted living things though. Just my simple mathmatics’ at work.
      I am a big believer that stress plays a big role in health. Being properly rested has got to be a key. Some people sleep 4-5 hours and feel great, Not me. I need 8-9, always have. I used to be the first one to crash as a little kid on the sleepouts.
      You wonder, if under severe stress, are you really get the rest when you are sleeping? When I come back from business trips say like 3-4 days away, I really don’t unwind and get back to normal sleeping pattern for like 2 to 3 nights. So if alot of travel happens with me, I get really run down. Not to mention the work pressure and stress associated with the job.
      Nice to share the thoughts with you all. Thanks

• Anonymous
      August 13, 2008 at 5:31 pm

This is an excellent question! Remember, if “it” didn’t come with your “born body” then it is foreign. Usually “foreign” will cause inflammation but the medical community has learned how to deal with that ~ usually some form of steroid until the body accepts it. Sometimes the body encapsulates “it” with scar tissue (like an oyster does 😀 ) to lessen the irritation. It’s amazing what our bodies are good at adapting to. Then again, what do we really know about long-term issues??

• Anonymous
      August 13, 2008 at 5:45 pm

A really good thread Tim, and it raises a new concern with me about having a port put in–with Ali’s comment, as I read it, I looked at the plastic bottle of water I am drinking, and I think yea, the ports are titanium or plastic, what I have researched so far and either way, I am concerned about the rejection factor, increased cidp symptoms(am overwhelmed with what I have), and the possibility of infection due to 8 years of being on immunosuppressants. Bring these concerns up with my doctors and they just look at me…..agree with all of you on the stress and thought about you and your traveling Tim that you have stress coming at you from every angle! Take care OK?
      Emma

• Anonymous
      August 13, 2008 at 6:41 pm

I’ve always been under the impression that our body does not react to certain metals, like titanium and gold. I don’t know why this should be so, must be because of the atomic structure.

I’m concerned about what you, Linda, said about your mother’s cataract surgery. I did not think about them implanting anything. I also have cataracts which continue to get worse. Eventually I will need an operation.

• Anonymous
      August 13, 2008 at 8:24 pm

Norb-just called my sil and she just had cataracts removed-they were done two weeks apart. She got versed iv to relax her and then eye drops to numb the eye. An incision was made, then ultrasound to soften the cataract and it was then removed, and the lens implant was put in. She said she was awake the whole time as she had to focus on a light at different angles for whatever the surgeon was doing. Regarding the drops, there are three-a steroid, antibiotic and ? third one-takes all three 4 X d for one week, then done with the antibiotic after i week and continue the other two and decrease freq. to 3 X day for a week, then 2 X day, then 1 X day, then all done with the drops. Will only have to wear glasses for close up. And was able to drive the day after surgery. Hope this helps-you probably know some, but I thought I’d ask her all about it to give you an idea.
      Emma

• Anonymous
      August 13, 2008 at 8:39 pm

Thanks Emma, that was good information, never heard all the detail. My biggest concern is my immune system being compromised at this time until the B cells kick in again. I hope I can last until that happens.

• Anonymous
      August 13, 2008 at 10:29 pm

In a way sometimes I am afraid to admit my daughter Kelly who is 17 has my immune system or close to it. She resembles me with the weird foot pains and other Issues I racall having as a boy.
      She has been diagnosed with topic dermatitis as a baby. We tried piercing her ears about 5 times with nothing but the best metal and every time her ears blew up and had to come out. Last year we tried again after waiting 6 or 7 years and were sucessful.

Earing and piercings are usually on the extremity of the extremity and I can’t imagine rods and pin deep down into bone etc.

I have had symptoms back at least 12 years that always totally went away.
      Since the mesh patch was placed in, it seems to be last thing before this all started becoming permanent. Nobody will every condone that the patch can do it.

As far as the eye’s go, I premeded with antibiotics for 7 days then after the cut, used optical steroids and when the inflammation arose used liquid anti inflammatory and that cleared it right up. I didn’t notice problems with the legs any worse than normal though.
      I would never do that again, MY eyes where smoking and you could smell the tissue buring as the cornea was being shaved. If pretty much freaked me out.

• Anonymous
      August 14, 2008 at 4:09 am

I have seen several people get cataract surgery with no problems at all. My mom though had problems a month after having boths eyes done. She is now on constant steroid drops for her eyes. She does okay and see’s well but just get’s inflamed nerves. I think I would discuss this with the doctor before having it done. They may have different procedures or precautions for you.
      I think many factors can trigger our immune systems. Stress, fatigue, colds, virus’s and sometimes the chemical preservatives that are in some foods we eat.
      As much as I hate to say it, we live in a world of poisons. Pollution, chemicals on our foods, in our water supples. Even the air we breathe today has poisons. So many factors going on.
      Did you know that one out of every 3 women will develop a certain Rheumatological disease such as Lupus, Scleroderma, Rheumatoid Arthritis etc. That not even mentioning those with the other diseases out there. I read that in an article a while back ago and said I wonder what the other 2 women out of 5 catch.

• Anonymous
      August 15, 2008 at 3:07 pm

I had a total knee replacement in july of 2007, a titaniman metal replacemnt. In Sept 2007 i started having neurological symptoms and by Nov 2007 was dx with CIDP and in a wheelchair parttime and a walker full time.
      For ten months have had various treatments with little success. Recently spent 8 days in the hospital for heart related issues, new sudden onset. Now on oxygen at home.
      Will start evey other week plasmaphresis on Mon. Will get two treatments everyother week, may increase to three, will see how I respond.
      Feeling fairly low at present as I am dependent on husband for all things.
      CAn not drive, cook, or do anything by myslef.
      I do not know if metal knee has anything to do with any of this and neitherdo the MD’s, they just say it is a possibility. I do know my life went from fully functioning, to almost bed bound in les than six weeks and have remained pretty much on that plateu.for the last ten months. So knoW IT CAN GET VERY DISCOURAGING.

• Anonymous
      August 15, 2008 at 5:04 pm

Oh Beth, I am so sorry this has you on a downward cycle. I just wanted to send a huge hug and let you know I will be thinking about you and praying for some resolution to your issues. God Bless.

• Anonymous
      August 15, 2008 at 7:30 pm

I am also sorry to hear about your problems increasing. So did it sound like the doctors were receptive that the knee and possible rejection? or Not sure.

All my problems have been associated with surgeries. Only one put in artificial material permanently into the body. I think now that after time the patch they put in me scarred over and like how the other woman put it, encapsulated it. I hope things do get better.

• Anonymous
      August 15, 2008 at 7:36 pm

I was wondering if the knee or hip replacement surgeries would come into play.
      Any surgery can trigger these conditions. Adding metal into the picture
      is what I was curious about but you never really know.

[QUOTE=TJRPT6]I am also sorry to hear about your problems and how sudden it has all happened. I will add you to my prayer list.

All my problems have been associated with surgeries. Only one put in artificial material permanently into the body. I think now that after time the patch they put in me scarred over and like how the other woman put it, encapsulated it. I hope things do get better for you.[/QUOTE]

• Anonymous
      August 16, 2008 at 1:36 pm

since being diagnosed in the spring of 2006, i have had three picc lines, a temp & perm cannon catheter for PPE, & two cardiac surgeries for tx of SVT. one picc line was only placed during my hospitalization, so it did not get infected nor did the temp PPE catheter (used for 5 tx’s).
      however, two picc lines that i have had placed for my weekly ivig both became infected in a realatively short amt. of time. the first infection became systemic and i felt like death. the cannon catheter for PPE lasted for a month before it had became septic within the line and had to be pulled. so, it seems to me that my body does not like synthetic substances within it. i was very diligent about site care and keeping the site dry.
      i also did not fair well either time after having cardiac ablations. i’m not sure how to explain my bodies response after both ablations, it was anything but normal.
      anyhow, those are my experiences.
      peace,
      flower

• Anonymous
      August 17, 2008 at 12:06 am

Tim,

I have just seen the thread and can respond.

Gall Bladder removal this spring
      Cervical neck fusion screws and plates 2004
      Lumbar laminectomy 2002

Other mionor surgeries, nose opening, sural nerve biopsy, etc.

No problems for me. I did seem to be more numb right after surgery, but I recovered from that quickly.

I have tolerated my surgeries well.

• Anonymous
      August 17, 2008 at 8:51 am

Now I never even thought of the pic lines. I can understand that having those in for more than a day may cause inflammation and then infection.
      I never had one in for more than a day so far. It would probably be the most common amongst all of man made things put in and left in for a period of time.
      At least it eventually comes out and hopefully with no infection. The permanent ports would be a concern if I know I’d get infection easy from the pic lines.

• Anonymous
      August 17, 2008 at 5:39 pm

Flower –

I don’t think your PICC lines became infected because of your body rejecting them. PICC lines are NOTORIOUS for becoming infected. You have to SUPER careful with them. Since your lines were infected in the actual tube that indicates that the infection came from outside the lines…such as when you were being hooked up to your meds or when the line was being flushed. That most often is caused when the cap isn’t cleaned thoroughly. I was told that it is not possible to have an actual in line infection come from within your body.

I was told that if your body was rejecting it then the infection would occur inside the body, most often where the line connects to the vein.

I know all of this because Emily had a Broviac catheter (tube hanging out of her chest) when she was 4. She had it for 5 months when we had a replacement nurse. 4 days after the nurse was there it became infected. They tested the germs & determined the nurse is a carrier. So infection like that can come from just about anywhere no matter how diligent you are with keeping the site clean, etc.

Also, most neurologists don’t want to put their CIDP patients under anesthesia. While your body is at rest the immune system can ramp up & start the attack all over again. That’s probably why you don’t feel well after having surgery. One of Emily’s dr’s wanted to put her under for some exploratory surgery & her neurologist refused to allow it.

I should also add that Emily has been put under anesthesia 8 times since she became ill. 3 of those times she was completely out…the others she was under “twilight”.

Hope that helps some,
      Kelly

• Anonymous
      August 17, 2008 at 6:01 pm

In 1984, I had my tubes tied and they used metal clips because of the new technology. I got sick right after that surgery!
      1990, had a nerve biopsy and messing with my nerve in the leg caused me to be sick! Maybe the metal knife and needle they used! Possible!
      1997 Total Hysterectomy. Metal Staples. Got sick!
      2007 Lumbar Spinal Open Disectomy and metal was used then.
      You want to hear a good one! I have to have B-12 shots using needles and they have metal. Been noticing this but never thought about it until today! Right after the needle. A few hours later, I was feeling like an ER visit! Weird wacky stuff going on! And when I go to get lab work done, I get bad off! One time I got so sick feeling that I had to pull over and just sit a while. Was fine when I went in but after that lab, I got sick!
      I have seen people that can’t wear gold and they have an acid problem with the gold actually turning the gold brown and eating the gold away. Some people can’t wear cheap pierced earrings because it causes their ears to get infected.
      Something that we all have in common here is getting labs and needles! Metal needles at that! Not really sure what kind of metal. It would be strange if we all had some kind of metal allergy. Children getting vaccines and some get severely sick afterwards while others don’t. So parents are blaming the vaccine. But maybe it’s the needle! The metals used for surgeries!
      Ohh I could go on forever hear! But it’s logical! Very logical! That would explain the child getting GBS/CIDP, the Lupus Patient getting CIDP. Maybe it the metal used in the needles. Not the surgeries itself, but the metals being used. Allergy to metals!

• Anonymous
      August 17, 2008 at 6:32 pm

Ali –

I recently read that the problem with plastic water bottles is when they are heated up. Apparently they release a compound chemical that is associated with making people sick…can’t remember the name of the chemical right now though.

The article said the problem arises when the water bottle is left in a hot car & then people drink the water.

I have friends who refuse to use plastic containers to warm their foods up in because of this concern.

Just thought I’d chime in.
      Kelly

• Anonymous
      August 17, 2008 at 8:11 pm

Kelly, what you read was wrong – see the following link.
      [url]http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/cookplastic.asp[/url]

ken

[QUOTE=Emily’s_mom]Ali –

I recently read that the problem with plastic water bottles is when they are heated up. Apparently they release a compound chemical that is associated with making people sick…can’t remember the name of the chemical right now though.

The article said the problem arises when the water bottle is left in a hot car & then people drink the water.

I have friends who refuse to use plastic containers to warm their foods up in because of this concern.

Kelly[/QUOTE]

• Anonymous
      August 17, 2008 at 8:35 pm

Ken –

Hmmm that is interesting. It was all over the news here recently too. The news did an interview with a dr who said that it was a concern.

I know that Canada is taking steps to ban BPA in their baby bottles. I think they might be pushing for glass baby bottles now too.

Here’s a link if you are interested:

[url]http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/19/business/worldbusiness/19plastic.html?ref=Americas[/url]

I’m going to have to research this topic more thoroughly when I have some down time. I have a feeling that it is much debated & there’s probably a TON of interesting articles to read. In other words, it’s going to be alot of fun for me…I LOVE reading stuff like this.

Thanks for the clarification.
      Kelly

• Anonymous
      August 18, 2008 at 6:20 am

Plastic bottles for babies over the years and I wonder how many mother’s have thrown the bottles in the microwave. Wonder if that too would cause problems? Interesting subjects here!

• Anonymous
      August 20, 2008 at 7:40 pm

[QUOTE=Emily’s_mom]Flower –

I don’t think your PICC lines became infected because of your body rejecting them. PICC lines are NOTORIOUS for becoming infected. You have to SUPER careful with them. Since your lines were infected in the actual tube that indicates that the infection came from outside the lines…such as when you were being hooked up to your meds or when the line was being flushed. That most often is caused when the cap isn’t cleaned thoroughly. I was told that it is not possible to have an actual in line infection come from within your body.

I was told that if your body was rejecting it then the infection would occur inside the body, most often where the line connects to the vein.

I know all of this because Emily had a Broviac catheter (tube hanging out of her chest) when she was 4. She had it for 5 months when we had a replacement nurse. 4 days after the nurse was there it became infected. They tested the germs & determined the nurse is a carrier. So infection like that can come from just about anywhere no matter how diligent you are with keeping the site clean, etc.

Also, most neurologists don’t want to put their CIDP patients under anesthesia. While your body is at rest the immune system can ramp up & start the attack all over again. That’s probably why you don’t feel well after having surgery. One of Emily’s dr’s wanted to put her under for some exploratory surgery & her neurologist refused to allow it.

I should also add that Emily has been put under anesthesia 8 times since she became ill. 3 of those times she was completely out…the others she was under “twilight”.

Hope that helps some,
      Kelly[/QUOTE]

All I can do is share my experience, strength, and hope. Take what you want and leave the rest, at least that is all I can do.
      Hope that helps some,
      Flower

• Anonymous
      August 20, 2008 at 11:14 pm

I had an infusaport put in about a year after my GBS diagnoses adn havn’t had any problem. I am having it removed next week. I also had a breast biopsie done and didn’t have any problems. But remember, everyone is different.

• Anonymous
      August 21, 2008 at 12:31 am

Absolutely spot on Kelly. As a retired RN, body rejections are relatively rare. PICC lines indeed require scrupulous cleanliness–very hard to maintain that is why many doctors are reluctant to put them in. Infection risk is extremely high.
      Laurel

[QUOTE=Emily’s_mom]Flower –

Hope that helps some,
      Kelly[/QUOTE]

• Anonymous
      August 21, 2008 at 12:38 am

Yes we have had many newspaper articles recently in Canada about certain carcinogens being released from certain plastics. Health Canada is investigating and is soon to make a decision about whether to ban certain plastics. I know plastic baby bottles have been put on the list for parents to avoid. Recently the city of Vancouver has engaged in discussions about banning all plastic water bottles. But I believe it is one type of plastic that is of major concern. [url]http://www.ewg.org/node/25778[/url]
      Laurel

[QUOTE=Emily’s_mom]Ali –

Kelly[/QUOTE]

• Anonymous
      August 21, 2008 at 7:19 am

No wonder our cancer rates are so high. No telling what chemicals are being used on our stuff today. And I wonder how much stuff the FDA actually does not report too! As far as the plastic goes. Look at Tupperware products and plastic microwave dishes. Many of our frozen foods are served in plastic for microwave cooking. The list with plastic could go on and on! Interesting topic! Very interesting!