Make A Wish

• Anonymous
      April 16, 2007 at 6:15 pm

Has anyone contacted Make A Wish for your child?

I ask because Emily’s nurse told me today that she thinks we should do this. I’ve been hesitant to do this because 1) I always thought that Make A Wish was for kids that could not be cured and 2) I feel like we would be benefiting from her illness & that just doesn’t feel right for me.

The nurse explained to me that Make A Wish is for children with progressive or chronic illnesses too. And that we wouldn’t be benefiting from Emi’s disease, it’s a way to make up for her having it.

So I was just wondering if anyone else has done a Make A Wish & if so what were the steps to doing it.

Thanks
      Kelly

• Anonymous
      April 16, 2007 at 7:39 pm

Hi Kelly ~ having been a “Make-A-Wish” wish granter I can assure you that it is a joy to “give just a little” to a child who has such challenges ๐Ÿ™‚ Each chapter/state has it’s own criteria for granting wishes. There are many “safe guards” in place to assure that the wish is the Child’s and not anyone else. Your doctor would have to give a reference and sometimes a minister can.
      When the program first started it was for terminal kids but now they recognize chronic situations.

Listen to your nurse! Contact the Make-A-Wish foundation and they’ll give you the info. If that is uncomfortable for you, Kelly, then let a friend or your pastor do that.

I joined the volunteer program when I was dealing with huge GBS residuals. My husband supported my efforts and it gave me the greatest joy to be giving to others, especially children. Make that call! Best “wishes” ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      April 16, 2007 at 9:18 pm

Hi!
      A gal I work with has a son who was born with spina bifida. He also had a bout with cancer, but has overcome that. Quite a few years ago he was granted a wish from the “Make-A-Wish” foundation. I think it would be a wonderful thing for Emily! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      April 17, 2007 at 2:48 pm

Thanks Judi & Iowa –

I’ll look into it some more. Emily REALLY wants to go to DisneyWorld. My best friend went with her family last week & Emily asked her how much it costs to go there because she wanted to buy the tickets herself with her savings.

Kelly

• April 17, 2007 at 6:04 pm

Kelly,
      I think that is a great idea!! Contact them today!!!! These brave little angels need all the special attention they can get!!! If I could, I would send you and Emily!!! I hope they grant you that wish! You know what, you should benefit from what has happened, because we as the parents deserve a little break and attention as well. I hope they grant you that wish and if they do, call Disney and play it up to them and get every little bit of special attention for that sweet little angel Emily. Talk them into doing something special for her for the week and let them turn her into Cinderella for the week! These special little angels are going to take what has happened to them and make an impact somewhere or somehow. I KNOW IT! Besides all of the other things I pray for day in and day out, I am going to pray that Emily gets that wish granted. If not, maybe everyone on this forum can chip in a little and send you and her there!! Maybe someone has frequent flier miles? Just get me thinking and I bet we can help to get you and Emily to Disney if Make A Wish can’t! P.S. Thanks for always writing me back and helping me out!!!
      Dawn, Kevie’s mom ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

• Anonymous
      April 17, 2007 at 6:48 pm

When “Make-A-Wish” grants the [I]child’s [/I]wish, they cover all the details. Disney is a huge supporter and the child receives VIP treatment ~ things that John Q. Public doesn’t have access to. When you are told that the wish will be granted, you can relax and just dream ’cause [I]every big and little detail is taken care of[/I]. ๐Ÿ™‚ That’s what makes this organization so amazing and deserving of support!

• Anonymous
      April 17, 2007 at 6:50 pm

Kelly,

This does sound like a great way to help Emily in ways that no doctor or medicine can. I hope you’ll contact them.

Suzanne

• Anonymous
      April 17, 2007 at 9:36 pm

KELLY,
      They have asked Hunter to make a wish. He has not done it yet, and at first I felt awkward, too! I thought it was just terminally ill. He was asked about a year ago. I am feeling different now after watching and going through everything with him. He deserves something special. We are having a difficult time coming up with something. He cant think of anything. He did say Disney World, but I thought that was something we could give to him, we were just waiting for him to get a little older so that he would remember it, since we live 2 1/2 hrs away. He has only seen snow 1 time, I was asking him if he wanted to go somewhere to play in the snow.
      I would like him to make a wish that we cant give him, but I did not know that they do special things there for Make A Wish.
      Anyway, sorry for rambling, I hope Emily gets to have her dream come true!
      I say GO FOR IT! She deserves all the special attention.
      Robin

• Anonymous
      April 18, 2007 at 7:45 am

Kelly, I say go for it. I know Emily would love going and it’d be something that you all can and will cherish the rest of you lives. Take a camera because you won’t want to miss a single second(maybe a video cam) Do let us know what the Make a Wish has to say and if you go. Love–Dawn C.

• Anonymous
      April 18, 2007 at 2:48 pm

Mason and his family just got back from Disney. You can email Trish about it.

There is a family at our chilren’s school. Their son had cancer. Make a Wish approached them and they are not hurting for money, the dad is a dr, so they felt really strange about it but they did it.

He was in 2nd grade and wished for to go to some college basketball game. They flew the family, 5 ppl. and they had dinner with the team, tickets and other great stuff. The mom said it was wonderful.

I really think you should do it. I guess we would do Disney too but with Dell being so sensitive to heat, it would be hard picking a time.

Let us know what ya’ll decide.
      Love, Lori

• April 26, 2007 at 10:04 pm

I would encourage you as well as to contacting Make a Wish. Our Star Wars costuming group has been asked several times and it is pure joy to see the child’s face.
      The founder of our group had a daughter who was dx’ed with an inoperable brain tumor. Her wish was Disney and what a dream it was for her!! She and her family (along with step sisters and brothers) stayed right in the middle of Disney. I guess they have a few private places that open up right to the park so the child can return home if the day gets to be too much. The kids also had an ice cream buffet in their room and were given the royal treatment complete with a Hillary Duff concert/meeting.
      With all the tests, treatments, and doctors, Emily and the other sweethearts in here deserve to be kids. Let us know what happens!

• Anonymous
      May 3, 2007 at 11:13 pm

Mason was granted a wish through Magic Moments. It was the best thing we have ever done. We stayed at give the kids a world. The village is like a minnie disney world.

Mason has been scared to laugh and play. We laughed so much the first two days, he was horse. No on e was judging you, or questioning you.

The village starts serving ice cream at 730am. The kids had a gift on the kitchen table every morning. Mayor rabbit tucked each child in one night. They rode horses, went swimming. Played putt putt and had christmas with Santa and Mrs Clause.

Mason was even in a pie eating contest. This I could not believe.

The social worker at the hospital contacted Magic moments.

If you need me to answer any questions just email me or private message

Trish

• Anonymous
      May 7, 2007 at 7:51 pm

My husband and I support our Make A Wish chapter in San Diego, Ca.
      We give away fishing rods and reels for the juvenile division winners of the Tuna Challenge fishing tournament every year.
      It’s a big deal here in San Diego. Lots of people pay to enter the tournament and the dinner and awards banquet is huge.
      It’s loads of fun to be there and see the prizes being given out. It usually includes a boat or truck or both for the grand prizes.
      Make A wish doesn’t just grant wishes to dying children, they also grant them to sick kids that sometimes get better.
      Some of them spoke last year on stage about how much the granted wish changed their lives. These kids got better, and are doing just fine now.
      It would be great to see Emily get to go to Disney World. It could give her and you guys a boost that she and you will never forget.
      Trudy, natesmom

• Anonymous
      July 2, 2007 at 7:58 pm

Kelly, Do It!! Emily is/has been going through alot. Swallow your fears, feelings and just do it! You will have the time of your life just knowing and watching the look of pure excitment on her beautiful face! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      August 6, 2007 at 10:51 pm

Hi there;

I know a thing or two about Make a Wish…they just left here a day ago. We are waiting to hear about the wish due to Abby’s leukemia but here is what I know.

ANY child needs this, it makes no difference about money (my hubby is having a hard time with this as we can “do a trip for our kids”) but not like they do it up. They told me that you “give back” or pay it forward if you can by donating at a later time (either money or miles…)

I would have them send in a letter explaining the situation and see what happens.

Take care.

Natalie

• Anonymous
      September 17, 2007 at 2:11 pm

I think this is a wonderful ideal for Emily. Learning to live with a chronic illness is hard work, and she should get to play as hard as she has worked. I pray that she gets her wish granted, she deserves it.

Take Care,
      Emily

• Anonymous
      October 23, 2007 at 8:00 pm

I wanted to let you know that Jeffery did get his make a wish, we went to Disney World in Sept. He had the best time. Make a wish and Give Kids the World could not have been more gracious. Every dream Jeffery wanted came true. We stayed at the Nick Hotel in the Spongebob room, that was all he wanted. To see him smile and laugh was the best wish come true.

Wendy Jefferys mom

• Anonymous
      October 29, 2007 at 2:44 pm

Make A Wish is a wonderful organization. I felt very wierd about it at first, but they did so much for Hailey that it was just a bit unreal. Hailey asked to go to Hawaii! Not only did they have her and I, but they had her dad go and asked her to pick a friend or relative to share it with also. What she asked for was to go spend time on the beach in Hawaii and she wanted to swim with a dolphin. She got to do that and a ton more. So much in fact we had to cancel some of it because she just couldn’t do it all. She got to be care free for a whole week and just enjoy herself and have everything focused on her. My suggestion is do it and let your child have their wildest dream come true.

• October 29, 2007 at 3:51 pm

That is so cool that the kids’ each had their wish come true. I know the little girl in our church with a brain tumor spent 10 days in Greece with her mom and grandparents. She had rooms fit for a princess to sleep in and there was also a credit card for her to use. Just unbelievable!

Remember that Make-A-Wish and Give Kids the World rely on donations. These donations can be time, money, flyer miles, etc. Take a moment and visit their home page to see if there is anything one can do to make another child have a magical trip.

I hope the vacations were not too hard on the moms and dads:) You all deserve to see your kids being kids so I hope you got your wish too!