low wbc?

• December 29, 2014 at 10:02 pm

I just had labs drawn with my last infusion, and my WBC has been creeping down along with my blood counts (hb/hct) over the last 6 months.. i have been getting more infections the past 3 months.. I am only on plaquenil and IVIG, no immunosuppresants. My wbc was 2.6, neutrophils 1.3, hb 7, hct 28… They don’t know if this is a result of IVIG Or my whacky immune system – anyone have this issue with IVIG before?

• December 30, 2014 at 7:38 am

I am still in the process of trying to get my funding together for the IVIG treatments. I am also on Plaquenil for R.A. & Lupus..but my blood counts have stayed about the same..I was told Plaquenil was an autoimmune suppressant and I do my very best to steer clear of large groups or sick people!

• jk
      December 31, 2014 at 1:40 am

According to the American Society of Rheumatology-

“It is not clear why hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil) is effective at treating autoimmune diseases. It is believed that hydroxychloroquine interferes with communication of cells in the immune system.”

If it is not clear to the experts, I doubt us laypersons will figure out what this medicine does to the Immune System.

• December 31, 2014 at 2:54 pm

THanks Y’all! I don’t think plquenil usually affects wbc, and I have been on it for four years now with my wbc being relatively ok.. Interestingly enough – I think I had a “rare” occurance of leukopenia, neutropenia from IVIG.. those above numbers were drawn immediately after IVIG finished last time.. so before my infusion (3 weeks after last infusion), we rechecked it and my wbc was up to 3.5, and hb 11/hct 33.. I have read about this, apparently it is rare.. of course! I get aseptic meningitis as well

• February 13, 2015 at 9:44 pm

My WBC took a dive about 8 months ago. Interesting, I was taking too much Advil (Ibprofin) because I have a lot of headaches. I went cold turkey on the Advil and in a few months they were back up, but have not returned to above average. Probably something with IVIG since I get 3 treatments every 3 weeks. It was a nurse with extensive experience dealing with a very sick child that knew about Advil reducing WBC so much.