Looking for a mentor or just advise

• Anonymous
      February 9, 2010 at 8:57 am

I was dx with GPS in January14,2010 after having surgery on my knee Dec 8, 2009. Took four weeks to find a doctor to determing GPS. Had 5 days of IvIG and then went home from hospital with a walker. Progress to a cane within three weeks doing really well and fast recovery. Last week I had about 3.5 hours before needing rest. Sunday, I was back to 25 to 30 minutes before rest and numbness started returning. Yesterday I had about 1.5 hours before needing rest.
      Questions is this roller coaster ride normal, do I need to be concerned?
      I enjoy a glass of wine a day is that OK? (I am a home winemaker and enjoy sampling)
      How about coffee, I drink one cup in the morning?
      My questions can go on and on.
      Just looking for a little help from people who have been there

• Anonymous
      February 9, 2010 at 9:52 am

The best advise I received was “rest when you need it.”
      This is one illness that the harder you push to get better the behinder you will get. Yes it is a roller coaster ride. Listen to your body. You will see over and over here that GBS stands for
      Getting
      Better
      Slowly.
      Good luck.

• Anonymous
      February 9, 2010 at 9:54 am

Harry,
      Your GBS is so recent that you will need a lot of rest.
      When you over do it one day you will find out the next day or even longer your body will suffer from it.
      Rest as much as possible and try not to over do it.
      I liked to have a glass of wine sometime in the evenings and especially with holiday dinners and gave it up, not because of GBS. If it were not for my blood pressure and the medications I take for it I would still enjoy that glass of wine.
      When I first got GBS I drank only two cups of coffee in the mornings that has increased to about six cups through out the day. I have not noticed any difference with my GBS related to coffee.
      I don’t believe your glass of wine or cup of coffee would hurt you. If you are in serious doubt about it you should ask your doctor.
      It sounds like you are making remarkable progress with your GBS.
      Wishing you good luck with continued progress.
      Shirley

• Anonymous
      February 9, 2010 at 3:26 pm

[SIZE=”2″]Hello Harry.
      From what I read you are doing really good. You didn’t mention therpy. Do you or are you going to therpy.
      I drink coffee and would have a drink or 2 a day but I cannot. You as mention should ask your doctor.
      Praying for your healing (Lakoda)[/SIZE]

• Anonymous
      February 9, 2010 at 3:58 pm

[QUOTE=Harryb]I was dx with GPS in January14,2010 after having surgery on my knee Dec 8, 2009. Took four weeks to find a doctor to determing GPS. Had 5 days of IvIG and then went home from hospital with a walker. Progress to a cane within three weeks doing really well and fast recovery. Last week I had about 3.5 hours before needing rest. Sunday, I was back to 25 to 30 minutes before rest and numbness started returning. Yesterday I had about 1.5 hours before needing rest.
      Questions is this roller coaster ride normal, do I need to be concerned?
      I enjoy a glass of wine a day is that OK? (I am a home winemaker and enjoy sampling)
      How about coffee, I drink one cup in the morning?
      My questions can go on and on.
      Just looking for a little help from people who have been there[/QUOTE]

How bad was your symtoms? and how far did it spread?

• Anonymous
      February 9, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Thanks for your message. yes, I have been doing PT and excercises at home. Just not knowing what to expect is sometimes terrifying
      Harry

• Anonymous
      February 9, 2010 at 6:28 pm

From what i have read here, I must have had a mild case. It took 4 weeks to find out what I had. On the day that I found a Neurologist was the last day i could walk. Basically nothing from my knees down and my elbows down. More then half of my back muscles were affected. I was luckly that I could still breath on my on. I was in the hospital for six days for IVIG and was released for home care. I came home with a walker and moved to a cane after two weeks. I can walk around the house without the cane till my wife scolds. Saturday last, I woke up feeling excellent all numbness in my feet was gone. Sunday erverything was back and I was back to 1/2 hour activity before needing rest, needless to say I was disappointed and scared
      Harry

• Anonymous
      February 10, 2010 at 1:45 pm

[QUOTE=Harryb]From what i have read here, I must have had a mild case. It took 4 weeks to find out what I had. On the day that I found a Neurologist was the last day i could walk. Basically nothing from my knees down and my elbows down. More then half of my back muscles were affected. I was luckly that I could still breath on my on. I was in the hospital for six days for IVIG and was released for home care. I came home with a walker and moved to a cane after two weeks. I can walk around the house without the cane till my wife scolds. Saturday last, I woke up feeling excellent all numbness in my feet was gone. Sunday erverything was back and I was back to 1/2 hour activity before needing rest, needless to say I was disappointed and scared
      Harry[/QUOTE]

Just my opinion. I would keep a close eye on your symtoms. Alot of the GBS people are hit hard and fast. Some of the cidp people are on your schedual of symtoms. Dont want to scare you just make sure your nuro is keeping a close eye on you.

• Anonymous
      February 11, 2010 at 3:56 pm

I concur completely with the other responses. I was warned by my doctors and physio-therapists not to overwork the muscles as it can cause damage that sets you back (what they called a relapse). It happened to me with my wrist muscles early in my recovery. I had worked them too hard one day and for the next two weeks I could hardly move them at all.

The problem is to recognize this because it seems that like you, I didn’t feel tired doing these exercises. So it is good to seek advice from a therapist familiar with GBS to guide you as to how much exercise is too much in your case.