long-term prognosis of Guillain-Barre syndrome

• Anonymous
      August 12, 2008 at 6:48 pm

The long-term prognosis of Guillain-Barre syndrome. Evaluation of prognostic factors including plasma exchange.

Original Articles

Acta Neurologica Scandinavica. 95(5):298-302, May 1997.
      Vedeler, C. A.; Wik, E.; Nyland, H.
      Abstract:
      : Fifty-two patients with Guillain-Barre syndrome (GBS) were re-examined 1-14 years (median 7 years) after the initial onset of symptoms. At the follow-up 38 patients (73%) reported being completely symptom-free. Neurological examination revealed that 11 patients (21%) had motor and 16 patients (31%) had sensory signs, mainly distal in the lower limbs. One patient (2%) had cranial nerve signs. Fifteen patients (29%) had areflexia, generally of the ankle jerks. Severe pareses (high maximal disability grade), long duration of maximal symptoms and recovery were significantly associated with persistent disability. Age, sex, preceding infection, latency between infection and the onset of disease, weakness as an initial symptom, autonomic dysfunction, speed of progression, electro-physiological signs of axonal degeneration, cerebrospinal-fluid protein concentration and treatment with plasma exchange did not significantly influence the disability grade at follow-up.

(C) 1997 Munksgaard International Publishers Ltd.

• Anonymous
      August 12, 2008 at 8:18 pm

Thats pretty odd research. The recent Dutch study found that 85% of all GBS patients had fatigue. Perhaps they didn’t count fatigue in the 73% symptom free group. The study was from 1997, which is pretty old in terms of GBS research.

• Anonymous
      August 13, 2008 at 5:41 pm

Thanks, John, for finding that study! Lee, do you have any links to the Dutch study? The video that Wheelchair Dan posted was from 2001 but I learned some new things ~ things that my own doc doesn’t know yet! I say to everyone, don’t give up researching for the “latest”. We need all the help we can get to educate ourselves, our own docs, PTs and whoever else will listen 😀