Lidocaine for pain.

• Anonymous
      December 12, 2007 at 10:54 am

Is there anyone out there who has been treated with lidocaine for their pain?
      A Pain Clinic doctor has come up with this idea.

• December 12, 2007 at 11:56 am

Well,
      Since I know this info, I would not feel right if I did not give you the info to investigate on your own. About a year ago there was discussion regarding lidocaine and its safety with cidp/gbs patients. I t was one study done in Germany and they determined that lidocaine irritated the cidp. I brought it up to my doc and he noted that it was one isolated study and in fact, the drug they were suggesting to replace it is no longer allowed in the states. Furthermore, lidocaine is used for lp’s which many on the sight get, and my son has had it numerous times in his toes as he had a chronic problem with in-grown toe nails.

I have never read anyone on this sight using lidocaine for pain, maybe someone else can chime in. Another consideration, perhaps the study in Germany was in fact based on the type of situation you are inquiring about, a long term consistent use. I hope i have not confused you.

Under the search section, try entering lidocaine or maybe view all posts by me, you might find some info there.

Best wishes,
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      December 12, 2007 at 3:10 pm

Ken, I use lidocaine patches, with pretty good results. I can only leave it on for a max of 12 hours and a min of 12 hours between patches. The only thing wrong with the patch is you can only cut it into soo many squares and there are usually more painful places then one small patch can cover, and when the pain is moving around its really hit or miss.;) I would recommend it if you have pain in a certain area more than others. Hope You can get some relief soon, Ken!

• Anonymous
      December 12, 2007 at 9:08 pm

how come then is lidocaine is not recommended for gbsers. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      December 12, 2007 at 11:14 pm

I had read that lidocaine was not to be used for GBS people so I told that to my dentist. Also it was mentioned that Novacaine was not to be used. Well they did not listen to me and they used the Novacaine and it never worked till hours later after they sent me home. The next time I reminded them and they used the lidocaine. Again that did not work either. So now I am upset with them for not listening to me. I think most dismiss stuff you read on the internet. So after those visits the rest we used another drug that worked.

When I was to have a female proceedure done they wanted to also use Novacaine to numb the organ so incase I woke up I would not feel them working. Again I said NO NOVACAINE. They mentioned Lidocaine and I told them I refuse to have that used too! The kinda were upset with me. I talked to my Neurologist and he said a few other things were not to be done using certain methods. I was not to be using anything that was a nerve block. He wrote them a letter, but what he said in the letter was completely different from what he had told me! I am not sure they know what is proper and what is not to be used.

I do know that when I talked to the person that was from the hospital that was going to put me under was nasty that I should even talk to her about this problem. She knew it all. So I started with ok then you are also aware that Lidocaine should not be used it does not work. 20 minutes later the hospital was calling me back and asking questions. After a few phone calls back and forth they canceled the surgery and when it was rescheduled and what I had told them was followed and they were all smiley people! The surgery went fine.

• Anonymous
      December 12, 2007 at 11:28 pm

I find this thread very interesting. About five weeks ago I had ingrown toenails removed from both my right and left foot. They used lidocaine during the procedure to numb the toes. After they pulled the mails out. They placed a silver nitrate in the wounds to kill the nail root. That was five weeks ago. Right now the wound sites in the entire total are extremely sensitive to touch. I’m wondering if this has anything to do with the lidocaine or the silver nitrate. Most of the toes still feels numb, but around the wound site and across the top of the total. There is a sharp burning and stabbing pain. It’s been about five weeks in the pain has not decreased. Has anybody else had a similar experience?

• December 13, 2007 at 11:25 am

Oh my God Jim, I FEEL YOUR PAIN!

First, Kevin has chronic toe nail issues that I have mentioned before. He gets lidocaine every time. It works fine and quickly. Thankfully we have been lucky the last few months. It typically takes the toe nail 9 months to grow out.

Well, I also had toe nail issues. I asked the peds podiatrist if he could give Kevin the acid in his toe after he removed the ingrown toe nail as I had done. He said he does not like to do this because the acid does not always get everywhere it needs to (Funny thing is , this doc teaches orthop. and podiatry and my doc was his student) I guess my doc did not listen in class, because now I have a huge problem.

I had these 6 huge plantar warts that popped up last year when Kevinwas dx. (immune response!) At that time I was put under and had them lasered out. The doc suggested we do the chronic toe while I was numbed, I agreed. With in the first week, the toe was draining so much and had so much pain, worse than the 6 huge gaping holes in the bottom of my foot. He said it was a reaction to the acid, let it be. 3 weeks go by, now it feels like a tumor is on the side of my toe, he takes another sliver of nail out and I get relief. Now, 9 months later, it is back again, and it HURTS!!! and is infected. I am going to call as soon as Kevies is done with this round of ivig. I do not know what we can do now? I wonder if it is some sort of Keloid now, or scar tissue. The nail is actually growing up at a 90 degree angle and to the side! I will let you know what happens.
      Dawn

• Anonymous
      December 23, 2007 at 6:31 pm

Hi everyone,
      About 6-7 years ago I was encouraged to try a relatively new procedure that decreased the pain of neuropathy from GBS/CIDP. It was a lidocaine IV. I said sure, I’d try just about anything. The pain clinic DR. said if it would work it would be almost an immediate improvement. I had SUCH high hopes. Unfortunately for me it didn’t work–not one little bit.

If you decide to try it, make sure they monitor you very well, because lidocaine is used for heart disease and can affect your heart rate.

Lisa