Leg muscles spasms

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2013 at 12:07 am

After 4 weeks at HealthSouth I was making progress to 20 ft with a walker and only one PT person holding my
      Gait belt. Then the muscle spasms started. Each leg, or both together can go totally rigid like a bow, for up to 20 seconds. It is very painful. Often this includes my buttocks and lower belly. This totally arrested my progress for about 10 days, while my neurologist was trying different meds. He thinks that the spasms point at spinal damage. I would like to get input from anyone who experienced leg muscle spasms or knows about them.
      I did receive the approved treatment of Steroids, IVIG and Plasmopheresis while in the hospital before that.
      Henry

• GH
      June 14, 2013 at 5:22 am

Is this CIDP? Occasional muscle spasms or cramps are not unusual but I never had anything as severe as you describe. Maybe you are just working too hard and can moderate your PT regimen. If you lost the use of your legs, you’re not going to get them back overnight. It’s a long road back.

• Anonymous
      October 25, 2013 at 7:15 am

Hi Gali.. My dad is having leg spasm too now.. It’s lasted for about 10 – 20 seconds…
      Is this bad or is this good?
      He has been diagnosed with GBS – Miller Fisher since August 10, 2013

• Anonymous
      December 17, 2013 at 12:59 pm

I have CIDP and get spasms/cramps all over the place, most frequently in the calves where, due to foot drop, I have no ability to counter them by moving my foot upward. I have to reach down with my hands and pull my foot up, to stop the cramps.

But I also have been getting cramps more and more frequently, and immediately following treatment with Solu-Medrol (methylprednisolone) and IVIG, in the middle of my back, in my hands, in my neck, and in my throat. It can be very frustrating when, after struggling to fall asleep and finally beginning to doze, a leg cramps shoots you upright in bed.

It can be difficult for our loved ones to see these things, especially when my neck or throat cramp causing me all kinds of gyrations to overcome. At work, I’ve had to stop a meeting I was conducting to allow my neck cramps to go away. But, it is what it is. I’ve searched for answers, but they all seem to be a crap shoot. If you find something that works for you, go for it. Meanwhile, I and the people around me are going to have to get used to the new me. I’ve lost weight, I wear leg braces, I use a cane and a wheelchair, and I sometimes get weird cramps. As long as the cramps don’t permanently disfigure me (knock wood) they’re easy to cope with.

Keep us updated. We’re all here to share and find answers together. It’s good to know we’re not alone.

• March 12, 2014 at 10:21 am

I hope that you made complete recovery, you just have to be strong and hope for the best and never lose hope.