Lee’s Big Big Big Quiz Thread

• Anonymous
      March 25, 2009 at 5:01 pm

Okay, maybe it’s not so much a quiz thread as much as it is a scavenger hunt. The rules are simple, I ask a bunch of questions on a related topic, and if you know an answer or answers, post them on this thread. If the thread is successful, and you get the answers correct, I will try to post a new quiz every month. This is an open book, open internet quiz. You can use any source you want and you can even make wild guesses. If you get the most answers correct, then you win absolutely nothing.

So let us begin. The first subject is newspaper comic strips. Good luck and since you can find the answers any way you want, I’m not sure there is a way to cheat.

1. In the Dennis the Menace comic strip, what is Margaret’s last name?

2. Who did Dick Tracy marry?

3. What nightshirt wearing character was the star of Hogan’s Alley, considered to be the first Sunday comic strip?

4. Who invented an unlikely contraption called Professor Butt’s Self Operating Napkin?

5. What type of animal is Pogo?

6. What is Pappy Yokum’s full name from Lil’ Abner?

7. What was Beetle Bailey’s original first name?

8. Who is Lois Flagston’s Brother? (Hint: Lois Flagston is from the strip Hi and Lois)

9. What is the first comic strip that depicted characters which aged?

10. Who is Barney Google’s hillbilly friend?

11. What is the address of Andy and Flo Capp?

12. Who is friends with Rollo, Irma, Oona Goosepimple, Spike and Sluggo Smith?

13. Who is Peppermint Patty’s best girl friend?

14. In what comic strip does Billy substitute as a cartoonist when Bil Keane goes on vacation?

15. Which two comic strips did Opus the Penguin appear in?

16. What does Joe Btfsplk always have over his head?

17. Who has a perfect 19-19-19 figure?

18. Which comic strip had a man named Connie, Pat, Big Stoop, and the Dragon Lady as characters?

19. What is Brenda Starr’s profession?

20. Where was Prince Valiant born?

21. What comic strip featured the first interracial crime fighting gang?

22. Which comic strip about a mischievous boy and his tiger was named after a French theologian and an English political philosopher?

23. Who is the nephew of Zonker Harris?

24. What are the first and last names of Luann’s parents in the comic strip Luann?

25. Which comic strip’s characters were deliberately excluded from Blondie and Dagwood Bumstead’s fiftieth wedding anniversary?

Good Luck Everybody!

• Anonymous
      March 25, 2009 at 10:01 pm

1. hmmm..peanuckle

2. Mrs. Tracy

oh shoot i can’t do this..lol I have dial up..lol

• March 25, 2009 at 10:37 pm

Cool idea!
      DAwn

• Anonymous
      March 25, 2009 at 10:58 pm

Hi Lee,
      #19………I LOVED reading Brenda Starr and I think she was a newspaper reporter. The man she loved was Basil St. John. He had an eye patch and he had an illness and the only thing that kept him alive was the serum from a fragile black orchid.

ANY IDEAS ON STARTING A THEATER GROUP AGAIN???

• Anonymous
      March 26, 2009 at 8:22 am

Hi Lee!

This was very interesting from the point of view of someone living on the other side of the world. I asked myself the question, how many of these cartoons and\or cartoon characters do I know, or at least have I heard about. I freely admidt living in the US cultural sphere, but still not all American comics are or has been translated into Norwegian!

1) I know and have read Dennis the Menace, but don’t know Margaret’s last name
      2) Heard about Dick Tracy, he figured in Norwegian comic-books, but was never that popular to me.
      3)?
      4)?
      5) I can see Pogo in my head, but what knid of aminal? No…. I know about Pogo-Sticks, though:D
      6) – 10) Never heard of any of them
      11) I thought Andy and Flo were British?
      12) – 14) Don’t know
      15) Bloom County (with Billy the Cat etc). Where else did Opus the Penguin appear?
      16)?
      17) May I take a guess? Betty Boop?
      18) – 19) Don’t know
      20) Used to read Prince Valiant as a kid, but have forgotten most of it.
      21)?
      22) Calvin and Hobbes – one of my favourites, given the mundane names of Tommy and the Tiger in Norway!
      23) – 24)?
      25) Blondie and Dagwood (called Dagobert Sörensen in Norway) have been around since before I could read, I remember my father reading the strip to me from his daily newspaper.

Perhaps you would be interested in knowing the most popular comic-book in Norway, well, it’s even the best-selling weekly magazine of all categories? It is not Mickey Mouse, he is just a “side-show” – it’s DONALD DUCK!!:D

I love quizes, whether I know many of the answers or not – except about sports.

• Anonymous
      March 26, 2009 at 10:29 am

Liz:

Good job! Brenda Star was a reporter.

Here is a hint to everyone. Most of the answers to these questions can be found at Wikepedia or you can Google them. Remember, this isn’t so much a memory quiz as it is a scavenger hunt. The fun is in chasing things down and learning some interesting things.

Lee

• Anonymous
      March 26, 2009 at 10:48 am

#2. I have to admit I “wicked” this, but I did love reading Dick Tracy who FINALLY married Tess Trueheart. Their daughter was Bonnie Braids.

• Anonymous
      March 27, 2009 at 1:22 am

Lee, what a cool idea for a thread!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

here is what I have come up with, some on my own even;)
      1.wade
      2. tess trueheart
      3. the yellow kid
      4. ?
      5. possum
      6. lucifer ornamental yokum
      7. ?
      8. beetle bailey
      9. ?
      10. snuffy smith
      11. hartlepool north east england
      12. nancy
      13. marcy
      14. family circus
      15. bloom county and opus
      16. a small dark rain cloud—i can relate!:D
      17. ?
      18. terry and the pirates
      19. glamorous adventurous reporter
      20. thule norway
      21. ?
      22. calvin and hobbs
      23. zipper
      24. nancy and frank degroot
      25. ?

• Anonymous
      March 27, 2009 at 10:47 am

Cheryl and Liz:

Good job! You got the correct answers. Only seven more to go. Good job!

And Liz, looking in Wikedepia is almost the point of the quiz. This is supposed to pique your curiosity and hopefully everyone will learn other things will looking for the answers.

I’ll give everyone a bit more time to find the other answers before giving out the answers.

Lee

P.S.

Cheryl, you are a quiz answering fool, and I mean that in the nicest way possible. Way to go!

• Anonymous
      March 27, 2009 at 1:37 pm

#9 I don’t know if this was the first one, but I do now remember another of my
      favorite comic strips FOR BETTER OR WORSE and I KNOW that they aged. That strip could have been a real family.

• Anonymous
      March 30, 2009 at 10:19 am

Liz:

For Better or Worse is a great guess but it is the second comic strip in which the characters aged and I am pretty sure if I told you the answer you would have known it all along.

Anyways, there are six questions left unanswered. They are nos. 4, 7, 9, 17, 21, and 25. I am going to give you some hints.

In no particular order, look up the following comic strips on Wikipedia:

The Phantom
      Beetle Bailey
      Rube Goldberg
      Gasoline Alley
      Popeye
      Pearls before swine

• Anonymous
      March 30, 2009 at 11:47 am

i’m going to show this to my hubby tonite. He’s very good at this kind of stuff. 🙂

• Anonymous
      March 30, 2009 at 2:43 pm

Lee, is 9 Beetle Bailey? Thanks for the mental exercise, Lee.:D

• Anonymous
      May 7, 2009 at 3:13 pm

Here are the correct answers:

4. Rube Goldberg invented Professor Butt’s self-operating napkin along with a bunch of other crazy contraptions.

7. Beetle Bailey’s original name was Spider.

9. Gasoline Alley had the first comic characters that aged.

17. Olive Oil, from Popeye had perfect 19-19-19 measurements.

21. The Phantom had the first interracial crime fighting gang.

25. Characters from Pearls Before Swine were excluded from Blondie and Dagwood’s fiftieth wedding anniversary.

I hope you had fun with that quiz. The next quiz will be about silly quotations.

• Anonymous
      May 7, 2009 at 3:18 pm

All you have to do is match the silly thing a famous person said with the famous person that said it. Look for the list of silly people below the quotes.

Good Luck! Remember it is open book and open internet.

[B][SIZE=”5″]Silly Quotes:[/SIZE][/B]

1. “So, where’s the Cannes Festival being held this year?”

2. “You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred.”

3. “Fiction writing is great. You can make up almost anything.”

4. “I get to go to lots of overseas places, like Canada”

5. “Predictions are difficult. Especially about the future.”

6. “And now the sequence of events in no particular order..”

7. “The doctors x-rayed my head and found nothing.”

8. “I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father.”

9. “Whenever I watch TV and see those poor starving kids all over the world, I can’t help but cry. I mean I’d love to be that skinny like that but not with flies and death and stuff.”

10. “If we don’t succeed, we run the risk of failure.”

11. “Outside the killings, Washington (D.C.) has one of the lowest crime rates in the country.”

12. “The word ‘genius’ isn’t applicable to football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein.”

13. “We’re going to turn this team around 360 degrees.”

14. “If it weren’t for electricity we’d be watching television by candlelight.”

15. “Food is an important part of a balanced diet.”

16. “There is certainly more in the future now than in 1964.”

17. “A bachelor’s life is no life for a single man.”

18. “Smoking kills. If you’re killed, you’ve lost a very imortant part of your life.”

[B][SIZE=”5″]Silly People who said this stuff:[/SIZE][/B]

a. Roger Daltry, lead singer of The Who

b. Yogi Berra, baseball player

c. Fran Lebowitz, author

d. George Gobel, comedian

e. Greg Norman, golfer

f. Woody Allen, writer, actor and creepy guy

g. Ivana Trump, someone silly enough to marry the Donald

h. Christina Aguilera, Singer

i. Dan Quayle, politician

j. Jason Kidd, basketball player

k. Marion Berry, cocaine snorter and mayor

l. Joe Theisman, sports talking head and ex-quarterback

m. Mariah Carey, singer and philosopher

n. Britney Spears, singer and traveling freak show

o. Dan Rather, news anchor

p. Samuel Goldwyn, movie producer, the ‘G’ in MGM

q. Brooke Shields, actress and underwear model

r. Dizzy Dean, baseball player and one of the reasons they require batting helmets

• Anonymous
      May 7, 2009 at 11:38 pm

2 is from Woody Allen.
      10 is from Dan Quayle.
      11 is from Marion Berry, mayor.
      4 is Britney Spears.

I knew 2 and 10 and found the answer to 11 when I looked up to confirm 10 on the same “stupid things politicians have said” site. I looked up 4 because it is so outlandish.
      WithHope

• Anonymous
      May 25, 2009 at 8:57 pm

With Hope:

You did a great job and got all of your guesses correct. Looking things up is not cheating and I hope everyone uses every resource to answer the questions. If you Google ‘stupid quotes’ you can find most all of the answers.

Lee

• Anonymous
      June 19, 2009 at 7:05 pm

I’ll add a few more:

#14 — d George Goebel
      #8 — e Greg Norman
      #17 — p Samuel Goldwyn
      #6 — o Dan Rather
      #3 — g Ivana Trump
      #12 — l Joe Theisman

Sorry these are out of order, but that’s what my eyes feel like looking these all up. Fun qiuz, Lee.

• Anonymous
      February 9, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Time for another quiz! To answer the question, fill in the blank with the name of a country.

1. The lost motorist pulled into the gas station and yelled to the attendant, Hey buddy, ___________ can you give me directions to Moe’s Turtle Shop?

2. After watching the inflammatory story, the lawyer sighed, “We’ll have to go after CBS. I don’t think we can ___________ Rather himself”

3. As expected, Stan got thoroughly soused at the office Christmas Party, after which a friend commented, “I just knew he would _________ on.”

4. Bill, knowing Ted dabbled in day trading, jokingly asked him, “So, ______________ killing on the stock market yet?”

5. “Stop embarrassing me with your gawking! __________ your neck so much it’s going to break!”

6. At the sound of the ________________ class was dismissed and 30 sweaty kids filed into the locker room to change.

7. “I have neither the means to fund the trip ______________ to get there,” complained the broke student.

8. Santa Claus and his elves live at the North ____________ make toys for the good little boys and girls.

9. As Cratchit timidly approached him to ask for Christmas Day off, Scrouge cried as if an __________ Humbug! Christmas!

10. Any six year old will tell you the tooth fairy ___________, even though some older kids tell you she doesn’t exist.

11. “Would you prefer sugar, Equal, Slenda, or __________ Low?” The waitress asked as she poured the coffee.

12. Even though __________ my brain, the solution to the problem completely eludes me.

13. When I was in high-school in 1985, my favorite song was “Don’t ____________ Here No More” by Tom Petty.

14. After visiting Suit World, Shirt Nation, and Cumberbund Country, Jack had just one more stop to make: ___________.

15. Marcus and Jill were coming home for Thanksgiving. Mother, assigning rooms said, “Jill, you can stay in the guest bedroom, and you can sleep in the __________.

• Anonymous
      February 10, 2011 at 9:54 am

This is driving my crazy, Lee.
      Here goes.
      1. (?)
      2. Sudan
      3. (?)
      4. (?)
      5. Ukraine
      6. Belgium
      7. Norway
      8.Poland
      9. (?)
      10. Israel
      11. Sweden
      12. Iraq
      13. (?)
      14. (?)
      15. (?)
      [I]help me![/I]

• Anonymous
      February 10, 2011 at 11:11 am

Alma:

Great job! You got the hang of the puzzle and the ones you answered are correct. Way to go!

I will let others see if they can answer some questions, and if there are some frustrations, I will give you some hints.

• Anonymous
      February 11, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Lee – I think I have the answers to a few more but will wait for others to post their answers. Right now I am going to bang my head against the wall because the other I have solved were as plain as the nose on my face – but I didn’t see it! Good luck, everybody.

• Anonymous
      March 11, 2011 at 2:44 pm

I liked the ones about Norway and Sweden:
      “This coffe is so bitter, there is Norway I can Sweden it”!:D

• Anonymous
      March 15, 2011 at 9:22 am

my answers:
      1. Belize
      2. Sudan
      3. Taiwan
      4. Jamaica
      5. Ukraine
      6. Belgium
      7. Norway
      8. Poland
      9. Cuba
      10. Israel
      11. Sweden
      12. Iraq
      13. Russian
      14. Tailand
      15. Denmark
      Wendy 🙂

• Anonymous
      March 18, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Good job everyone! Wendy Louise got every answer correct! She wins a bunny bowl with a matching spoon! Except that pesky restraining order prevents me from asking women for their addresses. Maybe we will meet up at the national GBS conference.

Anyways, the answer to No. 1 was supposed to be Kenya, but I really like Belize better so extra points to you for being clever.

• Anonymous
      April 14, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Wow, a bunny bowl and matching spoon! Woo Hoo! I’m a weiner!! yeah!
      Thought I would give a go at the “Silly People who said this stuff”
      1 – A
      2 – F
      3 – G
      4 – N
      5 – J
      6 – O
      7 – R
      8 – E
      9 – H
      10 – I
      11 – K
      12 – L
      13 – B
      14 – D
      15 – Q
      16 – C
      17 – P
      18 – M

Whew! Time for a nap!
      Wendy 🙂

• Anonymous
      May 17, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Dear Lee

I looked at the qeustions and the answers I have are as follows:

Andy Capp is British but I don’t know where he’s from.

I have an odd feeling that I am not going to win this.

God bless

Teresa