jacob out of jail

• Anonymous
      October 1, 2007 at 5:32 am

ok, i finally figured out how to start a new thread. I’m not gonna post the update tonight. It’s late or early? and I’m tired so I’m going to bed. But now I know and “knowing is half the battle”. Anyways I’ll talk to you all soon.

Ok I’m back after a good nights sleep. Ok, here’s a quick back ground about my husbands situation. Jacob was diagnosed with GBS in 2001.
      His legs went completely paralyzed. He has had 2 other onsets since then. Each one being over a year apart. For each onset, with the exception of this last one he would get the blood treatment and have a virtually full recovery within 4 months.( being able to ride a bike 10 miles a day) Senior Member Jeremy mentioned that perhaps Jacob has cidp, because of the repeated onsets. In July 2006 Jacob was sentences to 17 months for let’s just say “stupidity” That stupidity including 2 probation violations. Jacob’s must recent onset occurred about 3 months into his sentence. He been confined to a wheelchair ever since. The county jail did nothing to assist him. They didn’t even request the records from the hospitals he was treated at. In fact the jail medical staff went as far as to state that Jacob was “never treated or diagnosed with Guillain barre syndrome at either Northside or Bayfront Hospital” Liars! 5 months into his sentence Jacob was tranferred to the state facility. They at least acknowledged his condition. At lot of good that did because, it still took still another 6 months for Jacob to see a neurologist. Apparently his nerves are ok, but his a muscles are severely atrophied. They decided that treatment would not help. Jacob is schedule to be released October 14. First thing is for Jacob to see a doctor and apply for disability(he’s got an appointment on October 17. Then see a lawyer. I’ve been having trouble getting a lawyer agree to take the case, partly due to lack of information, partly due to the medical neglect lawsuit cap being lowered recently in Florida, partly because of the statute of limitation. If the doctor is of the opinion that Jacob may suffer longterm because of lack of medical treatment, that should be enough to prove to a lawyer that it’s a case worth taking. Of course the money wold help. I work 45 hours a week and barely scrape by. The main reason to want to sue them is to not let them get away with ignoring the medical needs of human beings. So we’ll see what happens.

• Anonymous
      October 1, 2007 at 10:02 pm

Annie,

what a wonderful thing to look forward to!
      I think its very important for Jacob to see a PT to try to sort out those atrophied muscles, I think something may still be able to be done about it (although im not sure). I think its absolutely awful about the jail, the least they could have done is work those muscles, because from what I understand PT could have helped quite a lot.

• Anonymous
      October 4, 2007 at 10:01 pm

Yeah I can’t wait till he comes home. I’m a little nervous though because we’re gonna have a lot on our plate. He been trying do a little physical therapy on his own,but he’s in such a puny little space it’s not easy. I agree that since they didn’t give any other treatment, they should at least provide him with physical therapy. I even wrote the Warden of the Jail stating such. That did no good. As far as they’re concerned inmates aren’t human beings. Jacob’s lucky compared to some of the horror stories I’ve heard. If Jacob ends up having long term problems due to the lack of treatment, we’re considering suing. I have been talking to the attorneys that handled my brothers wrongful death case against the Pinellas County Jail.

• Anonymous
      October 8, 2007 at 9:47 pm

Annie,

I am happy to hear that he will be getting released soon. He will definetely need some kind of supervised PT to help get his strength back. I would get him into a Neurologist as soon as possible upon his release. Take care and glad to hear that things are looking up.

jerimy

• Anonymous
      October 10, 2007 at 9:21 pm

thanks, jerimy

it means a lot hearing from someone who cares. sorry I misspelled your name on a previous thread. You gotta admit that Jerimy in not a super-popular spelling. How are you doing? I don’t have a home computer, so sometimes it takes me a while to get on the forum. annie

• Anonymous
      October 21, 2007 at 5:33 pm

Annie.
      Take it to the new media and see how fast they start listing. write the Gov forget the warden.

• Anonymous
      October 31, 2007 at 3:31 pm

Annie it’s ok, everyone misspells my name, no biggie. Hope that Jacob is doing well now that he is released. We are here to help you both however we can.

Jerimy