IVIG vs. a New Approach

• Anonymous
      December 16, 2007 at 12:13 pm

Hi all,

I just wanted to share my new discoveries – hope you find them as exciting as I do! As always, I apologize for the technical mumbo-jumbo – hard to avoid.

Cytokines are signaling molecules that cells use to communicate with each other. Most cytokines stimulate immune system cells by driving the immune attack or causing inflammation. Autoimmune diseases and inflammatory diseases are caused by a breakdown of the normal regulatory processes that control our immune system. A newly discovered cytokine, IL-35, is one of the few signaling molecules known to inhibit immune system activity.

The identification of IL-35 is the only known cytokine that is made specifically by regulatory T lymphocytes and can suppress the activity of effector T cells directly. This suggests that controlling levels of IL-35 in patients might one day allow clinicians to dial the immune response up or down.

[QUOTE=article]
      Novel treatments that add IL-35 or boost IL-35 activity may provide new therapeutic opportunities for these diseases.

http://www.firstscience.com/home/news/breaking-news-all-topics/st-jude-finds-molecule-that-could-improve-cancer-vaccines-and-therapy-for-other-diseases_39736.html
      [/QUOTE]

CSL is a global powerhouse provider for ivig. The title in this financial report for CSL suggests an interest in developing alternate therapies for ivig.

[QUOTE=article]
      CSL – Modifying the Immune System – IVIG vs. a New Approach

http://www.egoli.com.au/egoli/egoliStoryPage.asp?PageID=%7B345AFE75-68C5-4E08-96B4-79B02B48111D%7D&Section=Warrants
      [/QUOTE]

I recall reading -but can’t remember where- that regulatory T-cells do not divide in peripheral circulation; instead, they are increased in numbers by differentiation and are released by the thymus in the presence of IL-2 and TGF-beta. These are cytokines produced by activated Th-1 cells.
      Here is one example of an approach to inducing immune system regulation that “may have sustained, long-term beneficial effects.”

[QUOTE=article]
      Regulatory T cells generated ex vivo as an approach for the therapy of autoimmune disease.

http://www.cytok.com/showabstract.php?pmid=15036237
      [/QUOTE]

Happy Holidays,
      cd

• December 16, 2007 at 10:40 pm

Hi CD!

I was reading some very interesting info lateley similar to what you are posting. Some of the info is very tech. and difficult to understand. You have had more time at this plight than myself, so I am sure you understand it better than myself.

I hope to read your articles over Christmas break. As well, I have to get busy writing a letter to the neuro stating my case for maint. doses of ivig as opposed to continuous loading doses to be followed by cell cept.

I have gathered some abstracts I plan to reference to when I make my case. I also have some studies stating that cell cept has not been researched in children. Maybe by then I can make sense of the info you have provided and include it as well.

If you have any spare time away from your daughter and your busy work schedule, I was wondering if you can think of anything I should include in my letter to the neuro?

As always, thanks for the helpful posts and have a great week!
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      December 17, 2007 at 12:10 am

Dawn,

Interesting you should mention Celcept – the newest therapy to be looked at “to dial the immune response up or down” is Sirolimus (Rapamycin) + IL-2. It has been in clinical testing for Lupus, RA, ALPS, X-Linked AutoImmune Syndrome, and other immune-mediated/regulatory dysfunction syndromes.

The point is that Sirolimus/Rapamycin is in the same class as azathioprine, mycophenolate mofetil, methotrexate, cyclophosphamide – known as antiproliferative and antimetabolic agents. Some of the benefits (according to the articles) is fewer side effects, and ease of use – oral tablets – as opposed to infusions such ivig or rituxan. Less expensive too – I read an article of a child w/a rare cancer that formed tumors around his nerves: ~$568 for a month’s supply. It has been said to have less cytoxic effects and does not induce kidney dysfunction that is a risk with the others. Here’s a link to look at for a general overview of Rapamycin:

[QUOTE=article]
      Rapamycin inhibits differentiation of Th17 cells and promotes generation of FoxP3+ T regulatory cells.

[url]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?tmpl=NoSidebarfile&db=PubMed&cmd=Retrieve&list_uids=17996694&dopt=AbstractPlus[/url]
      [/QUOTE]

At least, we won’t have to wait for ten years for them to develope a new drug – this one has been around for years, and it may be useful for more than heart disease and organ transplants.

Happy Reading
      cd