IVIG Doseage

• Anonymous
      October 26, 2006 at 2:41 am

Hi, My daughter is 10 years old and has CIDP since she was about 2. She got IVIG from 3 1/2 to 6 years old then they wanted to see if she could go without it. She did till now. They have her on 14g every day for 5 days then 14g everyday for 4 days every other week. she weights 35k. Her home health nurse said tonight that she didn’t think the doseage was aggressive enough. Help. She did so well before on IVIG before , is the doseage sound correct. She got 10% years ago and is now on 5%, does it make a difference?

Thanks,
      Cindy

• Anonymous
      October 26, 2006 at 8:32 am

Cindy – I think that the usual initial formula for IVIG is 2 grams per Kilogram of weight and frequency is determined by neurologist – some can go 28 days or longer, while others need it much more frequently – ask your physician about being more or less aggressive – as much as your home care nurse wants to help, it is impossible to relate from one patient to another. 10% versus 5% refers to the amount of Ig in each dose (the solution) your daughter receives —she won’t get more or less in her total infusion amount –it will just take longer or shorter times for her to get it.

• Anonymous
      October 26, 2006 at 8:43 am

Bonney,
      Thank you for the info. Once it is explained it makes more sense, I have forgotten things after not dealing with it for a couple years.
      Thanks Again,
      Cindy