Ivig and Prednisone together??

• Anonymous
      December 11, 2008 at 9:41 pm

Hi Group,

I was reading some threads and saw a reply post mentioning that IVIG doesn’t cause cancer unless it’s used with steroids?? Can anyone comment on this?? I didn’t know this, and am on Prednisone, and get IVIG treatments. Should I be concerned??

Thanks
      Dawn

• Anonymous
      December 12, 2008 at 12:45 am

I’ve never heard of IVIG & steroids together causing any type of cancer. IVIG does not usually cause any long-term side effects at all, whereas the side effects from higher doses of steroids are well documented (weight gain, cataracts, insomnia, bone loss, agitation, etc.) Many use these two treatments together with very good results. Best of luck…
      Pam

• Anonymous
      December 12, 2008 at 8:30 am

Turessa,
      I am one of the unfortunate souls to experience cancer after being diagnosed with CIDP. I had received both IVIG and steroids. However with that being the case it was not felt that the cancer was caused by the drugs. I asked the experts at the symposium and 2 physicians told me there was no correlation. They did think all the immunosuppresents that we take might contribute to cancer if you already had it. They allow the cancer to get a head start so to speak. I asked them if having one disease such as GBS or CIDP made the chances of cancer higher and their answer was no although there has been no official research to that effect ever done to their knowledge.
      So my advice is do whatever helps you! Take Care,

• Anonymous
      December 12, 2008 at 12:10 pm

Israel with CIDP or PN patients and Cancers… The IVIG was given for the CIDP and PN and cancer was found later [I believe] This was done about 3+ years ago and it’d found that the IVIG seemed to result in smaller tumors…this was for BC tho.
      Cancers can be ‘hatching’ for 5-7 years before they are detected, it is possible that these cancers can cause what are called ‘paraneoplastic’ neuropathies. Thing is, even if you have a solid family cancer history… if you aren’t tested at the right time? It won’t be detected. The paraneoplastic aspects are what can set off the whole immune action/reaction chain of events that result in CIDP, but Neuros and Ocons aren’t really talking about the cross-connections too often.
      Ironically treatments usually don’t/aren’t changed for all the knowing about a connection that I know of. Symptoms are treated, and the rest is history.
      BTW? I was found to have BC – 3 years after my CIDP onset. It was found very early for which I am grateful…I guess. And I couldn’t take steroids due to other issues. Hope this helps. Always ask if you need more info.

• Anonymous
      December 17, 2008 at 3:55 am

Thank you all for sharing. Sorry I haven’t replied sooner, but we just got power back after the nasty icestorm. Sorry to hear that you’ve had to deal with cancer on top of everything else. I guess I won’t fret too much, the treatment is working, although, now needing cataract surgery.

Dawn