IVIG and Life Insurance Coverage

• April 9, 2011 at 1:42 pm

The Fortune 500 insurance company that has carried my life insurance policy for the past 10+ years discovered that I’m receiving IVIG as treatment for my CIDP and has canceled my policy.

Having life insurance was a cornerstone of my financial planning for my family.

This is now the 2nd time that my life insurance policy has been canceled since I was diagnosed with CIDP. Subsequently, I’ve been denied coverage by yet another major insurance company. The insurance companies are concerned that I could conceivably contract HIV through an infusion of IVIG since IVIG is a blood-based product.

[I]Now, we all know that this line of reasoning is completely absurd, as the odds are less than 1 in 1 million of contracting HIV through an infusion of IVIG. [/I][I]The HIV virus is literally torn apart in the manufacturing process for crying out loud!![/I]

Has anyone else encountered this problem with their life insurance policies?
      [I][B]
      Also, does anyone know of an insurance company that will issue a life insurance policy to someone who’s receiving IVIG as treatment for CIDP?[/B][/I]

It’s completely unfair that those of us who have to receive IVIG as treatment for our CIDP are being legally discriminated against!

• April 9, 2011 at 8:10 pm

hmmm… If that’s the case—ask them if they plan to cancel the policy on every member who has unprotected sex—because there is more risk there than with IVIG!! Lori

• Anonymous
      April 13, 2011 at 11:58 am

Have you contacted your state insurance commisioner ? You are being discrimated against. Maybe it is your race ? Maybe it’s your religion ! Maybe it’s your sex – MAYBE YOU CAN GIVE THE INSURANCE COMPANIES MORE TROUBLE THEN THEY WOULD LIKE 😡 I’ll bet they would just love the free advertising you could do for them:D Have you contacted your local TV stations ? Many stations have a crew or department just looking for a company nose to bloody. Fight man fight ! DO NOT take this laying down – FIGHT 🙂

• Anonymous
      April 13, 2011 at 9:10 pm

I have been wondering the same thing. Can we get life insurance thats worth anything without paying a fortune for it?