Is tetanus shot a live virus?

• Anonymous
      September 23, 2009 at 7:11 pm

With all the talk of vaccines this year I came across an old post about the tetanus shot. I had called my Dr. office to schedule one for a job position.
      It involves care of young children and this shot is required.
      Is this another shot we should stay away from. I’m not wanting to take any chances and my PC who would be ordering the injection is not knowledgeable on GBS.
      Appreciate your input and experience.
      JayDee

• Anonymous
      September 23, 2009 at 7:17 pm

JayDee,

I did not know about the tetanus shot until I saw on this site people who said they got GBS from it. I believe it is a live virus. Hopefully someone can give you the facts because I too am curious about this.

• Anonymous
      September 23, 2009 at 8:07 pm

The tetanus immunization is not a live virus vaccine. It is a toxoid meaning that the immune reaction is against the toxin produced the bacteria causing tetanus. This means that the immune reaction is not against the bacteria, but this bad protein that can make people sick. The tetanus toxoid has been altered so that it cannot make you sick, but is is similar enough to the real thing so that one makes immunity to the bad protein. Having the illness tetanus makes someone really, really sick (spasms and seizures). The other name for tetanus is lock-jaw because people cannot eat–their muscles lock up and their mouth cannot open. There is a high rate of death with tetanus. I say all this because there are a LOT of immunizations out there–some to illnesses that are inconvenient and some to illnesses that are really, really bad to get. This is one of the latter kind. As I walk this path now, I think a little differently about immunizations, but tetanus is one definitely I would get.
      WithHope for a cure of these diseases

• Anonymous
      September 23, 2009 at 8:10 pm

JayDee,
      I had my first bout of GBS back in the Spring of 1986. It was fairly mild; I did not need hospitalization. I had a great doctor who has a chapter in Suzanne Somer’s book, Ageless. Since I was leaving PA to live in Tampa, I asked him about getting a tetanus shot. He said that they rarely see cases of tetanus and he recommended that I not get one as a prevention. But he did say that if I needed to get one, get the expensive one – there are two kinds. I think that is the one which is made with horses. So you might want to look into that to be safe. This doctor was unbelievable and is one of the two doctors that I would not question. He was ahead of his time. Sadly, when I had GBS twenty years later and was considerably sicker, his nurse would not let me see him because it had been 7 years that I had seen him – I was taking care of my mother and could not leave her to travel to PA.
      Hope this helps.

• Anonymous
      September 24, 2009 at 7:56 am

Good morning.
      I got GBS from the flu shot and my neuroligist said the neumonia and tetnis shots to stay away from. As mention she said if I do need the tetnis shot then only take the one from horses. She said to always remember this saying. (IF IT CAME FROM AN EGG STAY AWAY) (Lakoda)

• September 24, 2009 at 10:36 pm

I was wondering, wouldn’t people who recieve ivig regularly have more than enough immunities from the plasma donors? Do the immunities get washed out?
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      September 28, 2009 at 1:39 am

JayDee, here’s a link regarding tetanus vaccines. The CDC site is really helpful on other vaccines and diseases.

[url]http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/tetanus/default.htm[/url]

As far as a tetanus vaccine from horses?? I’ve never heard of that one before:confused: . I too am hesitant about a tetanus vaccine..I’m probably due for one. The CDC site states 1 in 10 die if they contract tetanus, but I was always told it was more like 50% fatal. I am surprised that the job you mentioned required a tetanus vaccination…Tetanus (lockjaw) differs from other vaccine-preventable diseases in that it is not contagious. [I]It does not spread from person to person[/I]. Clostridium tetani bacteria are usually found in soil, dust, and manure, and they enter the body through breaks in the skin.

If I were you, I’d contact my local health department. They may be able to help answer a lot of your concerns.

• September 28, 2009 at 11:40 am

I would not get one. When I was working for medical malpractice lawyers, we had a case where a gentleman got GBS from a tetanus shot and was suing the government (CDC).

• Anonymous
      September 28, 2009 at 4:47 pm

Back when I was a child I stepped on a rusty nail and had to have a Tetnis shot. I was tested 1st to see if I had a reaction to it and I did. I had to have the shot in 4 doses over 4 hours. It was made from horses blood.
      The stuff they have out now is a synthetic. They still give the old horse shot to people as us.My Nueroligist said that shot would be ok to take.
      Also I had a Tetnis shot at the hospital I worked for and they said this one would last forever.This was long before GBS.(Lakoda)