Is GBS inherited

• Anonymous
      November 5, 2007 at 1:58 pm

We were told that my 26 year old nephew has GBS 10-28-2007. He is paralyzed from the neck down. Does anyone know if this could be inherited? One of the doctors thought maybe it could be. I had polyneuritis at age 15 that was 45 years ago. I was paralyzed from the wast down. Is GBS and polyneuritis the some? Thanks for any help Loretta C:confused:

• Anonymous
      November 5, 2007 at 2:55 pm

Hi Loretta, Welcome to The Family. GBS is not inherited. There are different sub (sister) syndromes that are inherited, but not gbs. As there are neuropathies that are inherited, with some similar symptoms.

• Anonymous
      November 5, 2007 at 3:03 pm

Loretta,

GBS is considered an ‘aquired’ syndrome, meaning that you cant ‘just get it’ because someone in your family had it, but there are certain conditions your body that are ‘just right’ when an infection, or food poisoning etc occur for GBS to attack. (Hmmmm, maybe I confused you more by trying to give an easy explanation).
      However ….. let me add, that GBS is an autoimmune illness and if there are other autoimmune illnesses in the family, the likelihood of getting an autoimmune illness is often quite likely.

• Anonymous
      November 5, 2007 at 3:18 pm

Hi loretta and welcome. it’s the pre-disposition for Autoimmune illnesses that is inherited. Most of us with GBS/CIDP have several AI diseases. Nice to meet you.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      November 5, 2007 at 4:41 pm

I was pregnant with my son when I got GBS. Do you think that this means he would be at greater risk to get GBS? Like say from vaccinations or anything?

• Anonymous
      November 5, 2007 at 10:37 pm

Dear Loretta,

Welcome! To answer your question…NO, GBS can not be inherited. From all the literature I have read there is a predisposition for “an” autoimmune disease, but not the same disease. However, there are members here that have had GBS, their fathers or grandfathers have had it, and their daughter have had GBS….so?

And yes, polyneuritis 45 years ago would have been: idiopathic polyneuritis; idiopathic (unknown), polyneuritis (inflammation, demyelination of many periphreal nerves).

As Jerimy stated, people with Autoimmune disorders have an inherited predisposition to AI’s. Autoimmune diseases are diseases caused by the body producing an inappropriate immune response against its own tissues. Sometimes the immune system will cease to recognize one or more of the body’s normal constituents as “self” and will create autoantibodies – antibodies that attack its own cells, tissues, and/or organs. This causes inflammation and damage and it leads to autoimmune disorders. There is an inherited predisposition to develop autoimmune disease(s). Families that have AI’s appear to contract more autoimmune diseases than normal. However, the diseases are not heritery; a mother may have lupus and an Aunt GBS, but this means relatives have a predisposition to “a” autoimmune disease, but not necessarally the same disease.

Wishing your nephew the best with a fast and full recovery.:)

Warmest regards.

Jethro

P.S. I would suggest that nobody in your family get a flu shot (my opinion).

• November 6, 2007 at 5:50 pm

Thanks Jeramy for this exsplaination, I have had very speacial Autoimmune illnesses This is Gbs is the secound time that my body shut me down, the firsth time my lung gave up on my, my lung was filled with connective tissue, I had bad cold and ended in hospital for servel months for recovery. The doc told me my immune system had done this too me.
      xoxooxoxo

• Anonymous
      November 7, 2007 at 10:38 am

Dear Loretta:

There are a few people in the GBS community that have a strong family history of GBS. My little sister had GBS in 1979. My aunt had GBS in the 1950’s. I had a grandfather who had what was labled atypical-polio in the early 1950’s, a couple of years after he was vaccinated for polio. He may not have had GBS, but from my perspective, it looked a whole lot more like GBS than polio.

I am not the only person on this forum who has had family members who had GBS. Could my family history of GBS be explained by a stupendous streak of bad luck? Somehow I doubt it.

I talked with Dr. Schilke who is the Western Regional Director of the GBSFI and asked him if GBS is one disease, or is it a family of seperate diseases that got catagorized as one thing because the results look the same. He said it is very possible that GBS is a family of diseases and not one single thing.

I am willing to concede that the other memers of the forum who answered here may be corrrect. Most GBS cases are episodic. However, it is awful difficult for me, with my family history, to dismiss the possibility that there may be a hereditary component to GBS. The alternative explanations seem a whole lot less plausible.

Lee

• Anonymous
      November 7, 2007 at 10:29 pm

For a more in depth explanation see Norbs definition of molecular mimicry from mid October.

• Anonymous
      January 17, 2008 at 11:20 pm

[QUOTE]We were told that my 26 year old nephew has GBS 10-28-2007. He is paralyzed from the neck down. Does anyone know if this could be inherited? One of the doctors thought maybe it could be. I had polyneuritis at age 15 that was 45 years ago. I was paralyzed from the waist down. Is GBS and polyneuritis the some? Thanks for any help Loretta C[/QUOTE]

It is my belief that there may be a biological predisposition related to how our immune systems react to viral infection and physiological distress, such as attacks on our immune system or giving birth. I think many factors come to play, a series of events to create a GBS episode. But you know, it really does not matter in that what is important is that you and your relatives should not feel guilty for your nephew’s condition, or that his children will have issues. The odds are remote and they are more likely to get struck by lightning! So, teach them to duck frequently and all will be well.
      😀

I do concur with J’s comments concerning flu shots.

• Anonymous
      January 18, 2008 at 7:03 pm

Hi guys,
      On my dad’s side of the family there are tons of auto immune disorders as well as neurological disorders all with in my generation, on my moms side of the family, one of my cousins had gbs when he was 19. So, I also question a lot of the information about heredity or genetically.

Who knows..

Sherry