Is a broken heart a medical problem?

• Anonymous
      June 5, 2007 at 6:18 pm

My heart is broken. Yesterday, I had to have Pepper my beloved friend of 16 years put to sleep. He had medical problems that overwhelmed him, and because he wasn’t going to get well, it was the kindest thing to do for him.
      He died in my arms.

I loved that cat so much that I feel like I have a huge, painful hole in my chest where my heart should be. I’ve cried a river, and can’t seem to stop.

I’m so lucky to have had his friendship for this long, but it hurts so bad. He was the most generous soul I’ve ever known.

Most people understand grief when a human has died, but many people don’t understand it where an animal friend is concerned. Believe me, as someone who has experienced both in life, losing a beloved pet can hurt just as bad as losing a human friend.

The stress has caused my GBS residuals to act up, so I’m rather a mess. I need to let my sorrow out here to my GBS family. Thank you for listening.

Sadly, Suzanne

• June 5, 2007 at 7:09 pm

HI Suzanne, I am so sorry about your cat. I relate to your sadness as we lost a true friend 2 1/2 years ago and we still get teary eyed over it. Pets are so kind, forgiving,trusting and loyal, how couldn’t one be sad. Those who don’t understand your grief over an animal have never been lucky enough to experience what you have from your wonderful cat. It will get better and I hope you can relax yourself enough so that your GBS calms down. I said I would never get another dog, but everywhere I looked, I missed that wagging tail. We lasted about three months and got another border collie that looks just like our best friend did. It was the best thing I ever did, he too brings us so much joy! Please feel better! Dawn Kevies mom ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

• Anonymous
      June 5, 2007 at 7:13 pm

Suzanne,
      The tears started coming to my eyes reading your post and I know that we feel grief and a broken heart at the loss of our “other” family member. I wish a word other then “”pet” could be used to describe them. My two dogs CODY and STANLEY were my babies, not my pets. I had to choose to put both of them to sleep because they would not have recovered from their illnesses and I could not let them suffer. I made that decision for them and not for me. I think that many of us here understand what you feel. Grief is stress and stress can do alot to us.

[IMG]http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/8889/hugsamillionzl8.jpg[/IMG]

• Anonymous
      June 5, 2007 at 7:50 pm

Dear Suzanne,

I’m new to the board but just wanted to let you know that someone else knows just how you feel. “Pets” just doesn’t seem a strong enough word to describe what our furry family members mean to us. The bonds after so many years are strong. Let it out… and when you’re ready let yourself remember the good stuff. After so many years I bet there’s lots of good stuff ๐Ÿ™‚ .

Thinking of you and hope you find a bit of comfort soon. sylvia

• Anonymous
      June 5, 2007 at 7:51 pm

Suzanne I have you in my prayers. I have 4 cats and they are our children. just like our son. Last yr they got bad cat food and we spend over $10,000 to save them. I have 1 now I am waiting to hear from my vet to see if he has cancer and the oldest has a kidney problem. They do what so few humans can do and that is unconditional love. When we are sick they are the 1st ones to come to us. I feel your sorry and pain and know I will be going through this one day. Remember the love and joy Pepper gave you and he is with God and now pain free. Suzanne my beliefs are of the Native American and we believe that animals have spirits as we do. and Pepper will come back to you in a spirit form. One of my cats is a spirit from a cat my wife had years ago and we named him after her cat (Ceaser) I have hand made coffins for my cats as when they were sick we felt we would loose at least 2.I wish I could just hold you and help you through this time of loss.I know my time will come and it will tear me apart.I am praying for you as I type. May the Great Spirit touch you and soften your pain and mend the loss and pain within you Your friend (Steve)

• Anonymous
      June 5, 2007 at 7:54 pm

Suzanne, we have raised three children on a farm. Believe me, I know exactly what you are feeling. We were fortunate enough to offer our children an education you can’t get at school and that is the gift of animal friends. They teach us so much and ask for so little in return. Those who have not had the opportunity to experience the human part of pets just can’t understand.
      Remember the good stuff, and know that you did the right thing for your friend.
      Be well,
      JayDee

• Anonymous
      June 5, 2007 at 8:19 pm

Suzanne,
      I can appreciate how feel. Our family has lost a number of beloved friend over the years. My prays go with you that stress you feel will not aggravate your physical condition. Crying helps, I know.

• Anonymous
      June 5, 2007 at 9:37 pm

Suzanne you can see you have received a big group hug from this group. We know what it is like when a pet leaves foot prints on your heart. Since I have been home from the hospital I have lost two of my dogs. One my Yorkie Tyler from old age about two months after I got out of the hospital. then this Spring I also had to put down Coach my 9 year old German Shepherd Dog. As times goes on and your heart heals you memory will regain those better days when we had such great days with our pets. Remembering them during those times will help that healing process. Big Hug and get your rest…..you need to think of yourself also. The tears will soon change from sorrow to tears of joy as your thoughts change. Their memory will always touch our hearts. Have you been to the site called the Rainbow Bridge….their is a great poem there that needs a box of Kleenex to get thru it but it really helps to see you are not the only one that has lost a great pal and friend. Cat or Dog or Tadpole they are all animals that that made us smile and laugh.

• Anonymous
      June 5, 2007 at 10:33 pm

Suzanne, I’m sooo sorry for your loss. I had to make the same decision 9 years ago with my German Shepherd, it is very hard to get over, but you will. Its the same as accepting and recovering from GBS/CIDP, one day at a time. I have the same feeling as Steve mentioned with the spirits, I know my Henry has my Shadows’ spirit in him also. I believe in the healing power of animals also, thats why I saved Shadow from death, and thats why I tool in Henry after that. Animals help my depression alot better then meds ever did. Please take care of yourself. You made the right decision. I’m sending you Big Hugs.

• Anonymous
      June 5, 2007 at 10:48 pm

[B]Suzanne,

My heart breaks for you, I know this pain very well, as I just had my Rottie of 12 yrs put down because of bone cancer and my other dog last year from cancer. They are our babies, our family and it does hurt so badly.

I’m sending you Big Brandy Hugs, so wrap my arms around you and feel my love.[/B]

• Anonymous
      June 5, 2007 at 11:15 pm

Oh SuzyQ!!!:(

I am so very sorry to hear the news. I have not been on the forums much at all lately, in fact havent really been answering email as you know, and feeling a little guilty about it, now I feel worse because I wasnt there for you! I know that you lost another cat a while ago, and I know how much you love and care for them Suzanne. My heart goes out to you during this time of loss.

• Anonymous
      June 6, 2007 at 1:46 pm

Suzanne,

Hugs to you. I am fighting back my tears as I write this – I so understand what you are going through and it sucks. We love them so and they love us right back with every cute twinkle in their eyes and those purrs… I admire your strength for going ahead and doing what was best for your kitty. I put a 13 year old cat down 10 years ago – that was when my Tigger found me (at a shelter). Mourning for our animals is very hard and a lot of people do not understand, but it looks like many of us here do ๐Ÿ™‚ I hate to admit this, but I have cried harder and longer over a pet versus a human being.

My mother (now deceased) kept insisting that I get another and I was stubborn and kept saying no. I finally gave in to her and went to the shelter and got my Tigger (you probably remember him, he used to be my avatar). A fresh purr and kitty lick will sure help heal this wound – please think about it. Rescuing a cat from a shelter is a very good thing to do – for both of you.

• Anonymous
      June 6, 2007 at 4:27 pm

I’m thinking of you and remembering when we had to put our cat “Klaus” to sleep on the 17th of May 1999, after having taken him in – or rather he just went into our house and made it clear that he wanted to stay with us – nine years earlier. He was such a wonderful personality and I miss him even now. I wish I had a picture of him to show you, but our “resident” cat, Mosse, tells me a picture of her along with comforting purrs and nuzzles will have to do.

[IMG]http://image2.frappr.com/pix2/i/20070303/6/1/e/61e682ed7059ab27a1d0c820c397d1e20_large.jpg[/IMG]

I send you warm thoughts and hope your GBS symptoms will soon fade as your mind comes to tems with the sad circumstance.

All the best from

• Anonymous
      June 6, 2007 at 5:57 pm

[U]Thanks to each and every one of you [/U]who sent your words of comfort.

Nothing can take away the ache in my heart, but knowing that my GBS family understands and cares, does make me feel like I’m not alone in loving my Pepper so much. I didn’t know that anything could make me feel any better today, but your kind and thoughtful responses have done that.

Every one of you posted something meaningful to me, and I’ve drawn comfort from every word. Each message has given me strength and eased my pain.

I do believe that animals have souls and that someday we’ll meet our cherished little friends again. Time will make the pain easier to bear, but I’ll miss Pepper every day until we meet again. Even knowing the pain that comes in saying goodbye, I wouldn’t trade one minute of my time with him. He made my life richer for having known him.

I have two other adopted/ rescued cats who are very sweet. As those of you who have had to say goodbye to a beloved animal know, one can’t replace another, but they do remind us how to smile.

Hugs to all of you who posted to let me know I’m not alone in my sorrow, and to those of you who have lost pets of your own. Each of you (and your furry loved ones) will be in my prayers tonight.

Suzanne

• Anonymous
      June 6, 2007 at 7:18 pm

Suzanne,

I am so sorry, I know how hard of a decision that is. We have 3 cats, 2 of which are brothers and are 13. Charlie (one of the twins) has been really sick lately and throwing up, we are struggling with the decision of whether to put him to sleep. We have taken him to the vet and he has lost alot of weight, his liver is bad. We decided today if he doesn’t turn around in the next day or two on his meds we are going to put him to sleep. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      June 7, 2007 at 8:42 am

When I worked for a Vet this is the poem we would give to grieving parents (or grandparents) who lost their beloved fur babies:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
      When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
      They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together….

Author unknown…

• Anonymous
      June 7, 2007 at 7:13 pm

Jerimy,

I am praying for your Charlie to be able to get better. I hope you will let me know how things are going with him. I’ll be here with a shoulder to lean on.

Karen,

I love the “Rainbow Bridge”. Thank you for repeating it for me. It helps to think of the happy reunion at the end.

Thanks, my friends,

Suzanne

• Anonymous
      June 8, 2007 at 4:48 am

Karen,

Thank you for that “Rainbow Bridge” prayer!!! I have tears in my eyes as I am trying to type this………………..I really hope that that is what is waiting for all of us that have lost our animal “friends”. I really want to believe that there is something like that waiting for us๐Ÿ™‚

Per

• Anonymous
      June 8, 2007 at 10:20 am

I don’t know if you all believe in communicating with the dead, like John Edward in Crossing Over? But, I do and every few months there is a Spirit Fair in town with a lady that does what John Edward does. I have heard special words from my mother many times. This last time, my sisters were with me and my deceased brother-in-law came through and made a comment about him being with animals and this lady named the two dogs they had years ago. To me this is proof that are animal friends exist on the same spiritual plane as us humans.

I have had a physic tell me my cat is a ‘familiar’ – meaning he came to my spirit for a reason and he knows me. This is my Tigger and he has taught me some life lessons in his 10 years with me. Everyday I love on him and pray for many more days. [IMG]http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p146/arielccv/tiggerstars.jpg[/IMG]

• Anonymous
      June 8, 2007 at 1:29 pm

Chrissy,

Thank you for posting that beautiful picture of your Tigger. What a sweet face! I hope you have many more happy years together.

Suzanne

• Anonymous
      June 9, 2007 at 5:26 pm

Suzanne,

Thanks for the Rainbow Bridge and also for your offer. Charlie is holding his own and getting better slowly. He’s on some strong meds. which seem to be helping.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      June 9, 2007 at 8:52 pm

Chrissy, I love All the Orbs on Tigger’s Pic!!:)

• Anonymous
      June 10, 2007 at 2:35 am

I put my beautful 15 year old feline Tiger Lily to sleep 4 years ago. She passed away quietly in my arms.I held her for 45 minutes till the vet took her away. Her ashes are in a little green box in my glass enclosed bookcase.
      When I was in the hospital she wouldn’t eat and my neighbor said she may not last much longer. I came home too soon to get her back eating and I relapsed. But we had another wonderful year together.She was there with me through the awful times of undiagnosed CIDP pain. She was my touchstone.
      Yes, pets in not a stonger enough or correct term for our sweet furry soulmates. Now I have a extremely precious kitty “Ossie” and he will be 2 next month.I wasn’t looking for another cat and somehow when I saw him I just knew we were meant for each other. How right I was.He’s sleeping on my bed as I type.His nickname is “Beyond Handsome”.

Chrissy-your Tigger is a beauty.

• Anonymous
      June 10, 2007 at 10:39 am

Limekat,

Even after 4 years, I’m sure it’s sad to think of losing Tiger Lily, but I’m so glad you have another furry friend to love too.

I remember when I was very sick after first getting GBS, we had an adjustable hospital-type bed brought in for me, since I couldn’t sit up without assistance. I slept in that little bed (smaller than a twin size) for 3 months, and each time I lay down in it, my 2 cats at that time, Pepper and Pinky squeezed themselves into the bed with me. They knew I was sick, and were there to give comfort to me. I’m glad I was able to do the same for them.

Suzanne

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2007 at 6:59 am

I am so sorry about your Cat I know how you feel. Sometimes they are the best thing to talk to. As they agree and help. As a Cat lover I am sorry for you.
      Kind Regards
      Paul

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2007 at 10:23 am

[IMG]http://image1.frappr.com/pix1/i/20070303/e/9/c/e9c926672b98dc8d85cd507dee4f0e3a0_large.jpg[/IMG]

Isn’t it amazing that cats and dogs love to be stroked and scratched, cuddled and fed – and we love to do it!

What a natural win-win situation…

And we have someone to guard our food too:D !

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2007 at 6:06 pm

Allaug, it looks like he is guarding his own food too ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2007 at 7:54 pm

Allaug,

What a cute photo. I know I must be doing a little better today, because it made me smile.

Thanks for sharing your cat Mosse with us. He must be quite a character.

Suzanne

• Anonymous
      June 15, 2007 at 7:05 am

Thank you, Jerimy and Suzanne – SHE is quite a character for sure. And besides the tinned food, she is particularly guarding “her own food” when we put frozen shimps in cold water in the kitchen sink to thaw them.

Miaou from Mosse Caramel and