Interesting September Holidays

• Anonymous
      August 31, 2008 at 4:47 pm

September 1 is also Emma M. Nutt Day

Yes, Emma M. Nutt was a real person!
      She’s famous for being the first female telephone operator. Initially, the phone company hired young boys – with disasterous results. They fought with each other, were unruly and rude to customers. On September 1st, 1878, Emma was hired (along with her sister). Her career saying “operator” lasted 33 years. I wonder how many wrong numbers that included! Ring-a-ding-ding!

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2008 at 6:21 am

September 2 is National Beheading Day

Throughout history, beheadings have occurred. The list is long, including commoners and Kings. The most notable king to be beheaded was Charles I of England in 1645.

While this is a big day, don’t go crazy and lose your head. In addition to protecting your neck, it is suggested you spend this day reading about famous beheadings.

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2008 at 10:42 am

Oh…how awful! Who would of thought we would need that kind of a day.:D
      Did any of you hear about the beheading on a bus in Canada last month? It happened about 4 hours from where I live and one of the passengers went crazy and cut off the head of onother passenger. It was a terrible event. Now there are jokes circulating everywhere. But it is not joke!

• Anonymous
      September 2, 2008 at 1:05 am

September 3 is Skyscraper Day

Skyscraper Day is a day to appreciate and admire the world’s tallest skyscrapers.

Skyscrapers are truly engineering and architectural marvels. In many crowded cities, space is in short supply, and real estate prices are ever increasing. Building “up” becomes more and more logical. As technical capabilities in construction improved, skyscrapers have become taller and taller. In addition, there is a certain prestige to have one of the tallest structures in the world in your city

• Anonymous
      September 2, 2008 at 7:57 pm

Too funny Jim! I guess I will help you with Septmeber 4th! That day is my Ultrasound of Thyroid Day! 😀

• Anonymous
      September 4, 2008 at 10:43 am

In addition to Linda’s “my Ultrasound of Thyroid Day!” September 4th! is also

[B]Newspaper Carrier Day:[/B]

This day commemorates the hiring of the very first newspaper carrier. Newspaper carriers date back to the early 1800s. On September 10, 1833, 10 year old Barney Flaherty became the first newspaper carrier. Benjamin Day, publisher of The New York Sun, hired Barney Flaherty to sell papers for his penny press. The only job requirement, was that he had to show that he could throw a newspaper into the bushes. [some of us remember hunting for our morning paper]

• Anonymous
      September 5, 2008 at 12:44 am

Keep the September Holiday comming. What a kick.

• Anonymous
      September 5, 2008 at 1:22 pm

September 5 is [B][U]”Be Late For Something Day”[/U][/B]

Be Late For Something Day is a great day to be a procrastinator. If you are among the millions of us who never seem to be able to stay on schedule, then you will certainly enjoy today.

Being late for something as a common occurrence. It’s caused by a whole host of reasons. Some are intentional, some are not. Fall behind schedule early in the day today, and you will be late for everything that follows. Doctors and lawyers are notoriously late for something….their appointment with you! It’s proper to be “fashionably late” for parties.

It is easy and natural to enjoy this special day. All you have to do is be late for something. That’s easy for procrastinators. And, perhaps its easy for you.

• Anonymous
      September 6, 2008 at 10:21 am

I find that I am doing that a lot more as I get older, Thanks for letting me know there is now a holiday to honor and support my behavior.

• Anonymous
      September 6, 2008 at 10:29 am

September 6th is; “[B]Fight Procrastination Day”[/B]

Fight Procrastination Day is today. It’s a day to get things done, a call to action.

To many people, procrastination is a way of life. The more difficult the action or decision, the easier it is to join the league of procrastinators. As a procrastinator, you are in very good company. You can even become a card carrying member of a Procrastinator’s club.

Today is a day to fight procrastination. Make a decision. Take action. Do it now. Do it today. It may be hard to do. But, you will be glad you did.

• Anonymous
      September 7, 2008 at 12:08 am

September 7th is: [B]Neither Rain Nor Snow Day [/B]

Right now, we bet you’re thinking “this special day is about a tranquil weather day with neither rain nor snow” ….wrong.

Here’s the real scoop on this special day:

Neither Rain Nor Snow Day celebrates the opening of the New York Post Office building on this day in 1914.

This following inscription was inscribed on the building:

“Neither snow nor rain not heat nor gloom of night ,stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.”

Here is the second misconception: A lot of people assume the inscription represents the Post Office motto. This assumption is incorrect. But, this inscription is very close to the old Pony Express rider’s motto. Which leads to a third misconception.. ……The Pony Express was not a government funded predecessor to today’s Post Office. The Pony Express was a courier and message delivery service. However, it was privately owned and funded.

• Anonymous
      September 7, 2008 at 5:47 am

This is neat reading! LOL! Wonder what today is going to be! LOL! 😀

• Anonymous
      September 7, 2008 at 5:34 pm

look forward to seeing your posts here Jim. Liked todays and the story that went with it…..Emma…….keep em comin….only 23 to go….:D

• Anonymous
      September 7, 2008 at 5:56 pm

September 8 is: [B][U]National Date Nut Bread Day and Pardon Day[/U][/B]

Because so many date nut bread loaves were ruined by hiding saws inside of them when delivered to prisons, the penal industry and the baking industry joined to bring these two beloved holidays together. Now, no need to bake a loaf with a tool inside of it. Let the ex-con eat it when he or she gets home

• Anonymous
      September 9, 2008 at 12:21 am

Teddy Bear Day

When : September 9th

Today is Teddy Bear Day. A Teddy Bear is a special friend to children all over the world. He’s cuddly. He makes you feel secure in an otherwise insecure world. He’s lovable. Your Teddy Bear is both a companion and a comforter. And, he’s not afraid of the dark. He’ll keep you safe.

Spend the day and night with your teddy bear . Cuddle up to him. Talk to him. And, do all of your favorite things together.

Parents and adults: No child should grow up without a teddy bear. If you know of any kid without one, use this day to buy a teddy bear for them.

As we become adults, some find it difficult to give up our teddy bears. We feel there is no reason to give him up. Some adults have their teddy bears around all their lives. Its perfectly normal….and okay.

Have a happy Teddy Bear Day!

My husband attended Wood Badge and was in the Bear Patrol, he is my big teddy Bear

• Anonymous
      September 9, 2008 at 4:46 am

This Teddy Bear stuff sounds like me and my blanky! Yes yes! I know! Here I am a 40 some year old woman that still has her baby blanky from when I was born. Poor blanky has caught alot of turmoil in life but I just can’t bear to get rid that raggy old thing. It’s been my teddy bear for years. LOL!

• Anonymous
      September 9, 2008 at 2:57 pm

Hey Jim – you ok???

• Anonymous
      September 12, 2008 at 12:50 am

Jim, Keep up the good work, Please give us some more holiday information.

• Anonymous
      September 12, 2008 at 7:12 am

Hey Jim! Are you okay? Missing ya in here! Hope you are okay! Hugs

• Anonymous
      September 13, 2008 at 11:34 am

September 13th is: [B][U]Defy Superstition Day [/U][/B]

Defy Superstition Day is your opportunity to break those superstitious beliefs that you have been living with most, or all, of your life. Did you note that Defy Superstition Day is celebrated on the 13th? It was established on this day for a reason.

Many people have a long list of superstitions. Tops on the list, is the unlucky number 13. Black cats are also also an object to be wary of. Walking under a ladder has always been viewed as something to avoid (actually, there is some logic to this superstition). The list goes on, and on, and on.

Did you Know? Hotels do not have a 13th floor or a room #13. Hotels usually do not have any room that ends in the #13. It’s all because people are superstitious about this number.

Defy Superstition Day was created to help you to eliminate superstitions that have been haunting you. Use today it is intended……. to blow away the superstitions in your life.

• Anonymous
      September 14, 2008 at 12:57 pm

September 14th is: [B][U] National Cream Filled Donut Day [/U][/B]

National Cream Filled Donut Day is a sugary, sweet day. Dontcha just love special days like today!? Sure, you were watching your weight. Then, along comes a special day that is just packed with calorie and carbs. And, that special day encourages you to eat one of your favorite breakfast treats…. cream filled donuts.

There is not shortage of food related “special days”. We are certainly glad that someone chose to create a day just for cream filled donuts. It truely is a special treat.

The most popular cream filled donuts are chocolate cream and vanilla cream. This author’s favorite is banana cream. But, they are hard to find. Whatever flavor is your favorite, just make sure the day does not go by, without having one or more cream filled donuts.

• Anonymous
      September 15, 2008 at 1:31 pm

September 15 is: [B][U]Felt Hat Day [/U][/B]

Felt Hat Day is today. On this day, men traditionally wear a felt hat. Women can participate in this day, too. They just have to have a felt hat.

Back in the early to mid 1900s, hats were popularly worn by both men and women. It was stylish. At that time, felt was a common material for men’s hats. With cooler Fall weather approaching, the guys went to the coat closet and dusted off their felt hats , and began to wear them once more.

Celebrating this day is easy….just wear a felt hat. It can be of any style, as long as the material is felt. No other hat material will do.

• Anonymous
      September 15, 2008 at 5:11 pm

Jim-you missed the 10th, 11th, and 12th.-Hurricane time? I’ve been reading every day. If I ever get to Florida again, I make homemade cream puffs, if that counts, and I could fill it with banana cream. Usually use french custard, but banana cream sounds good too. Is that close enough?

• Anonymous
      September 16, 2008 at 4:37 pm

September 16th is: [B][U]Collect Rocks Day [/U][/B]

Collect Rocks Day is a day to enjoy and add to your rock collection. Shh, to be a kid again, and have a rock collection. Well, we have good news for you. No one ever said you had to give up your rock collection when you became an adult. We hope you always keep and cherish your invaluable rock collection.

Kids collect rocks because it is a fun thing to do. They even trade rocks among other rock collectors. There are no books on what rocks to collect, or how much each rock is valued at. Rather, rocks are selected for a collection based upon a wide range of attributes. A lot of it is individual appeal. The rock could be big or small, a particular color or range of colors. smooth or rough, or display a unique characteristic. When it comes to rock collecting, beauty is indeed in the eyes of the beholder (or rock holder in this case).

Emma, is was a little under the weather figuratively not literally on those days.

• Anonymous
      September 16, 2008 at 10:03 pm

I collect rocks, bits of sea glass, tiny shiny sea shells. I fill up the old Mason/Ball/Atlas/Kerr jars I collect.

Found some holidays for 10th,11th & 12th of September
      10 Sewing Machine Day
      10 Swap Ideas Day

11 Make Your Bed Day
      11 No News is Good News Day

12 Chocolate Milk Shake Day
      12 National Video Games Day – also see Video Games Day in July

• Anonymous
      September 17, 2008 at 12:34 pm

September 17th is: [B][U]National Apple Dumpling Day[/U][/B]

Be a member of the Apple Dumpling Gang. National Apple Dumpling Day is today. We are celebrating a tasty fall treat. Its easy to make (and, even easier to buy!). Apple lovers can’t resist this pastry, filled with sweet, delicious apples.

With the arrival of fall and cool weather, two things happen: the apple harvest begins, and people turn indoors to cooking and baking again. It’s only natural that apples are a big part of the cooking scene. Among the most popular of fall treats is apple dumplings. For those of you who enjoy ice cream, some apple dumpling recipes include a scoop of ice cream atop a generous piece of Apple Dumpling.

Enjoy some Apple dumpling today. Chances are, you haven’t had it since last Fall!

• Anonymous
      September 17, 2008 at 6:01 pm

ROFL! Between me reading about those donuts and apple dumplings, I now have a bad craving for them. Mouth watering reading here! Made me hungry! Just sent my husband to Krispy Creme Donuts! shame shame~:D

• Anonymous
      September 18, 2008 at 12:10 pm

September 16th is: [B][U]National Play-Do Day [/U][/B]

National Play-Do Day celebrates a great childhood play toy. Invented in the mid 1950s, it has entertained millions of children, and allowed them to express their creativity, both at home and in the classroom.

The invention was simple. A school teacher wanted a safe modeling clay for her Prue-schoolers. She asked her brother-in-law Joseph Clicker, who worked at a chemical company, to come up with something. The result was simple….flour, water and food coloring.

Its fun and easy to celebrate National Play-Do Day. Simply pull out the Play-Do and ……Play! There are other brands of play clay on the market. Having raised three children, this author has never seen a better brand than Play-Do

• Anonymous
      September 19, 2008 at 8:44 am

September 19 [Third Friday of September] is: [B][U]POW/MIA Recognition Day [/U][/B]

[CENTER][IMG]http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/6104/powmiaxn8.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

POW/MIA Recognition Day is a day of remembrance and hope for the speedy and safe return of American Prisoners of War, and those still Missing in Action. It also seeks the return of the remains of fallen soldiers.

The first official commemoration of POW/MIAs was July 18, 1979. It was the result of resolutions passed in Congress. The first national ceremony was held on this date. Over the next several years, it was held in varying dates of the year. Finally, in 1986, The National League of Families proposed the third Friday in September as a day to recognize and remember POW/Mia’s. This date was selected, as it is not associated with any wars. Each year, the president of the United States issues a proclamation on this day.

We should remember all those who are missing in all conflicts no matter what side they fought on.

• Anonymous
      September 19, 2008 at 1:36 pm

Thank-you for Posting about the POW/MIA’s! My father was a Korean War POW for 29 1/2 months. It’s not everyday you see this flag! But it really should be seen more often. So many families still have a POW/MIA and will never know what happened to their loved one. Of course many from Korea and World War and most likely Vietnam are probably all deceased by now. Too many years have passed for any of them to be alive. But at least we are still thinking about them and honoring their courage! Thanks for Posting this!

• Anonymous
      September 20, 2008 at 11:48 am

September 20th is: [B][U]National Punch Day [/U][/B]

National Punch Day celebrates one of three things. Can you guess all three?

1. Punch that comes from a punch bowl
      2. The kind of punch that you dole out with your fists
      3. A tool

The correct answer is unknown because there is no factual information at all on this special day. While the search continues for the roots of this day, you can feel free to celebrate it any way you feel.

Happy National Punch Day!

• Anonymous
      September 21, 2008 at 10:32 am

That sounds pretty good having punch about now! LOL! Keep them coming for I enjoy reading these everyday! Hugs

• Anonymous
      September 22, 2008 at 9:52 pm

21st and 22nd? Jim
      Emma

• Anonymous
      September 22, 2008 at 10:39 pm

September 21st is: [B][U]Miniature Golf Day[/U][/B]

So hit your local miniature golf course for some fun.

Miniature golf is wildly popular by adults and children. It’s a great date for couples, young and old. It’s a great place to hold a birthday party for kids. You don’t have to be good at miniature golf. With twists, turns, and a variety of obstacles, your score is partially the result of luck. And, that’s half of the fun of it.

Take someone with you today to play a round or two of miniature golf.

We certainly hope that your day is up to par!

• Anonymous
      September 22, 2008 at 10:41 pm

September 22nd is: [B][U]Business Women’s Day[/U][/B]

Business Women’s Day recognizes the value and contribution of women in the business world.

The roots of this special day go back to the late 1940s. While men were off fighting World War II, women filled the void in the workforce. The returning soldiers found the women eager to have their men return. But, many women were not anxious to return to traditional roles in the home. Since this time, women’s role and contributions in the workforce have grown and evolved.

Ladies, have a Happy Business Women’s Day!

• Anonymous
      September 23, 2008 at 9:51 am

September 23rd is: [B][U]Checkers Day[/U][/B]

Get out the Checker Board. Today is Checkers Day. So, do you want the red checkers? Or, the black ones?

It may surprise you to know that it is also Dogs in Politics Day. Read on, and we will explain the connection.

[U]Origin of Checkers Day[/U]:

In 1952, Richard M. Nixon was a candidate for Vice-President of the United States, running with Dwight D. Eisenhower. Media speculation centered around an $18,000 campaign contribution, and speculation that Nixon may have used some for his personal use. In a brilliant political maneuver, Nixon took his case to the American people.

On September 23, 1952, Richard Nixon gave a speech that directly addressed and explained the issue. He assured the public that he did not use any of the funds for personal use. Towards the end of the speech, he stated that his daughters had received a dog, which they named “Checkers”, as a gift. He said they would keep the dog.

This speech quickly became known as the “Checkers” speech, and went on to be one of the better speeches in American political history.

With “Checkers” the dog included in the speech, this day was sometimes referred to as Dogs in Politics Day

• Anonymous
      September 24, 2008 at 9:26 am

September 24th is: [B][U]National Cherries Jubilee Day[/U][/B]

National Cherries Jubilee Day will make cherry lovers jubilant. If you enjoy cherries, you must absolutely love this day.

Cherries Jubilee is easy to make. All you need is a can of cherry pie filling, some cognac (or brandy) and vanilla ice cream.

Make today as sweet as a cherry. Enjoy National Cherries Jubilee Day to the max!

• Anonymous
      September 25, 2008 at 5:35 pm

September 25th is: [B][U]National Comic Book Day [/U][/B]

National Comic Book Day is a super cool day. Share a comic book with a friend today. We don’t know of anyone who doesn’t like a good comic book.

Comic books are great reading. They either tell an ongoing story, provide humor, or offer intrigue and suspense. In all comic books, good eventually prevails over evil. So, comic books always make us feel good.

Did you Know? (of course you did!): Comic books have great value as a collectors item. Don’t ever throw away those old comic books. Down the road, the series you are collecting today, may be worth its weight in gold!

Here are some of the ways that we have read, or heard, on how to enjoy National Comic Book Day:

Buy a comic book, or two, or,…….
      Read a comic book, or two, or…….
      Trade comic books among your friends

• Anonymous
      September 26, 2008 at 7:32 pm

September 26th is: [B][U]Johnny Appleseed Day [/U][/B]

When : March 11th and/or September 26th. Why two dates?……read on

Johnny Appleseed Day honors one of America’s great legends. Johnny Appleseed was a real person. John Chapman was among the American settlers who were captivated by the movement west across the continent. As Johnny Appleseed travelled west, he planted apple trees along the way, and sold trees to settlers. With every apple tree that was planted, the legend grew.

A Little About the Legend:

John Chapman (aka Johnny Appleseed) was born on September 26, 1774.
      He was a nurseryman who started out planting trees in western New York and Pennsylvania.
      During the life of John Chapman, the “West” was places like Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, and Illinois.
      John Chapman was a deeply religious person He was known to preach during his travels.
      According to legend, Johny Appleseed led a simple life and wanted little. He rarely accepted money and often donated any money he received.
      It is believed that he died on March 11, 1845, from what was referred to as the “winter plague”. The actual date of his death has been disputed.
      There is a lot of “legend” in stories written about Johny Appleseed. By it’s definition, over the years, legends grow bigger than life. It also appears that there is some link between Johny Appleseed and very early Arbor Day celebrations.

Celebrate today with an apple rich menu. Include fresh apples for snacks, and some applesauce or apple pie for dessert. And, make plans to plant an apple tree.

• Anonymous
      September 27, 2008 at 1:30 pm

September 27th is: [B][U]Crush a Can Day [/U][/B]

Crush a Can Day is today. How flat can you squish it?

After you get done kicking the can around, you get the fun of crushing it too. Use it as a stress reliever to take out all of the frustrations of your day. See how flat you can get it. It will make you feel good. Go ahead, give it a big squeeze. There, now don’t you feel better?

You can crush a can anyway you want. There’s no rules. Just make sure to do so safely.

Have a very happy Crush a Can Day.

• Anonymous
      September 27, 2008 at 1:37 pm

hmmmmm this one must be sponsored by the can industry. If I smash my pop or beer cans I lose $.10! Somedays I must admit its well worth it though! :rolleyes:

• Anonymous
      September 28, 2008 at 10:52 pm

September 28th is: [B][U]Good Neighbor Day[/U][/B]

Ah, Good Neighbor Day. It’s definitely a good thing. Being good neighbors is an important part of the social fiber that makes this country so great. Therefore, it seems only fitting that one day a year honors good neighbors.

This day of recognition is not to be confused with other forms of “Good Neighbor Days”. Stores proclaim “Good Neighbor Days” to promote sales, a wide range of organizations announce “Good Neighbor Days” to promote their cause, and local municipalities and governments proclaim “Good Neighbor Days” for a variety of reasons.

Rather, this day is to truly recognize and appreciate your good neighbor. Hopefully, one of those good neighbors is you!

• Anonymous
      September 29, 2008 at 11:05 am

September 29th is: [B][U]Confucius Day [/U][/B]

Confucius Day honors one of the world’s greatest philosophers.

Born in China on October 18, 551 B.C., Confucius is one of the earliest, and perhaps the the first great philosopher. He was also a teacher, a scholar, and a politician. He gave the world many teachings, and gave the world 499 famous sayings.

Celebrate Confucius Day by learning more about this ancient philosopher, and read some of his teachings and sayings.

Note: Over the years, many comical and humorous sayings have been created and referenced as sayings of Confucius, usually titled “Confucius Says”. As a rule of thumb, if the saying is humorous, chances are it is not a true saying by this great scholar.

• Anonymous
      September 30, 2008 at 6:49 pm

September 30th is: [B][U]National Mud Pack Day [/U][/B]

National Mud Pack Day is today. Pile on the facial. Ladies, this is your day. Guys, you can get a mud pack facial, too. Just don’t let your buddies know that you did!!

Mud packs were once the rage for facial treatments. It is still popular. But, the mud in facials has been replaced with a variety of other ingredients. It is supposed to keep the skin young, soft and supple. Does it work? Girls who use it, swear by it.

Did you know? A mud pack is a quick treatment for bee stings. Use it, if needed, when you are out on a hike, or until you can get to a place to be treated for bee and wasp stings.

Celebrate today with a mud pack. Guys, make this a special day by buying a gift certificate for a facial for your special lady. Make sure to tell her its not that she needs it. Rather, its because it is comforting, and will make her feel good.