insurance won’t cover reading muscle biopsy at Johns Hopkins

• Anonymous
      January 8, 2011 at 12:22 pm

My insurance will cover the doctor the hospital and procedure for muscle biopsy. But they want Labcorp to read the biopsy. If going to Johns Hopkins I want them to read the biopsy. Worried sending away will get lost or invalid results.

• Anonymous
      January 8, 2011 at 8:58 pm

I’d say you are correct to be concerned.

When I first considered going to Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Fl my neurologist(s) said, “Why? It is important that you go to the best place possible where they have the ability and the expertise to properly analyze your biopsy. This type of biopsy is very specialized and not many places have the ability to do it correctly.”

Has the Hospital confirmed they will not be paid? It is one thing for an Insurance company to have a preferred supplier, it is another for the Provider (Hopkins) to apply for Authorization and be denied. Check on this very carefully. Work closely with the Hospital and your Insurance Co.

• Anonymous
      January 9, 2011 at 1:30 pm

hospital called said they told them must be sent to Labcorp….might as well send it to butchershop

I called the doctor is in network he will get paid….hospital in network too…hospital called with procedure code it is covered…but not their lab

If I can get a some what almost gauranteed price I will pay out of pocket reasonable amount…they gave me amount of doctor and hospital cost and approx 260 for reading but said not sure if there is anything else

• Anonymous
      January 9, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Dell had a nerve conduction study a few weeks ago. The nuero. who did the test spoke a long time about when you have a biopsy done. He stated the biopsy was only as good as the person who took it and how it was prepared.

He gave us about 5 names. We are not going to get a new one, it really wouldn’t help with Dell’s case.

Good luck.

Lori