Insurance Companies !!!!!!!

• Anonymous
      October 29, 2010 at 9:05 am

Was hoping someone would have some advise dealing with insurance companies.
      Long short short, My fathe-in-law:
      (1) End of July = GBS=IVIG
      (2) 3/4 weeks of rehab
      (3) End of Aug. 2nd IVIG
      (4) 3/4 weeks of rehab
      (5) sent home by insurnace company
      (6) 6 days later felt worse went to ER
      Doctors say CIDP and Cancer = Plasma treatment
      Now, Doctors say they can not treat cancer (one lung and spine) until he gets stronger. But insurnace company will not pay for him to go back to rehab. The insurnace co. says he has to go to a nursing home. This just does not make any sense. The cancer is eating away and we are sure rehab would make him stronger faster.
      Has anyone had any success fighting insurance companies and what was the best way to do it.
      Thanks

• October 29, 2010 at 10:28 am

What ins? For instance, BCBS has a case manager for every person when there is a chronic condition, maybe they can help. As well, if the docs take the time to write letters of necessity, the ins. co. usually oblige.
      Is it b-cell lymphoma? Some cancers cause the cidp type symptoms. Many on the site have used cytoxan for their treatment of cidp, maybe they will respond, as they have experience with it. Cytoxan is also used in cancer treatment, if you could ask the oncologist if cytoxan could be used for the type of cancer your husband has, maybe you could use the arguement that the cancer treatment would also arrest the cidp. As mentioned, I am not experienced on this topic as we only use ivig, but maybe your doc could even look up the research trial being done at Northwestern University in Illinois to see if he can gain some insight regarding the use of cytoxan. The trial itself is more involved than just cytoxan as it is a stem cell harvesting, but at least there would be info regarding the cytoxan and cidp connection. Good luck. BTW, going to a nursing home to build stregnth is not going to happen unless a regular treatment plan is used to fight the cidp. If the demylienation continues, with out treatment, no amount of rehab is going to build strength. It just is not possible if the nerves cannot get the message to the muscles. Keep us posted.

• Anonymous
      October 29, 2010 at 11:32 am

If they have dx him with CIDP, then why not give him another round of IVIG? It oly stands to reason that if he has CIDP he must be on some type of ongoing treatment for him to get stronger, than maybe he could have the surgery. When I was at my worst with CIDP, I had a personal care manager assigned to my case, & my husband’s company is self-assured, as they are a huge steel company. How old is he, old enough to be on Medicare?

• Anonymous
      October 29, 2010 at 6:45 pm

When my mother got ill, she was sent to a nursing home for rehabilitation. Where I live, many nursing homes have PT. I think medicare picks up part of the tab if the patient is in a home for rehabilitation so that might be why they want him there; to have medicare absorb some of the costs. Let us know how you make out.

• Anonymous
      October 29, 2010 at 7:11 pm

Thank you for the help. I wrote the above post as I was running out the door this morning.

My father-in-law is 62 years old and has not walked/stand since July.. He final went to a hospital in Boston, after having little luck outside of the city. They did all sorts of test and found Melanoma cancer. The cancer is in one of his lungs and SPLEEN. He did have IVIG twice now and he has never really shown any improvements from it. So, they though the Plasma treatment was worth a try (just ended two days ago).

Doctors are saying he needs to be stronger to treat the cancer with chemo. I dont think they can treat Melanoma cancer with Cytoxan (not sure).

I just do not see how a nursing home is better for him then Rehab. He has HOM Blue. There decision is based on cost not what is best for my father-in-law.

Has anyone else had CIDP and Melanoma cancer…………..What worked for you?

• Anonymous
      October 31, 2010 at 4:47 pm

In my state, that is the reason many people go to nursing homes, IS specifically for rehab services. They also are referred to as skilled nursing facilities (SNF’s).

If they are saying he needs to be stronger for treatment, he should be able to get all this in a SNF.

The issue really sounds like it is not “just” melanoma that he has, but metastasized melanoma which is whole other ballgame. Treatments are very limited and results are not consistent with any metastatic cancer.

Perhaps if you read up on metastatic melanoma, and treatment options, it may give you a better idea of where he is at. The CIDP is really a secondary diagnosis when dealing with a met CA. Have they actually given him a prognosis related to the CA?

I am sorry to hear this. Good luck!