Insights from a Spanish Class!

• Anonymous
      July 20, 2007 at 3:04 pm

A teacher was explaining to her class that in Spanish, unlike English, nouns are designated as either masculine or feminine.

“House” for instance, is feminine: “la casa.”

“Pencil,” however, is masculine: “el lapiz.”

A student asked, “What gender is ‘computer’?”

Instead of giving the answer, the teacher split the class into two groups, male and female, and asked them to decide for themselves whether “computer” should be a masculine or a feminine noun.

Each group was asked to give four reasons for its recommendation.

The men’s group decided that “computer” should definitely be of the feminine gender (“la computadora”), because:

1. No one but their creator understands their internal logic;

2. The native language they use to communicate with other computers is incomprehensible to everyone else;

3. Even the smallest mistakes are stored in long term memory for possible later retrieval; and

4. As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find yourself spending half your paycheck on accessories for it.

(THIS GETS BETTER!)

The women’s group, however, concluded that computers should be Masculine (“el computador”), because:

1. In order to do anything with them, you have to turn them on;

2. They have a lot of data but still can’t think for themselves;

3. They are supposed to help you solve problems, but half the time they ARE the problem; and4. As soon as you commit to one, you realize that if you had waited a little longer,
      you could have gotten a better model.

The women won.

• Anonymous
      July 20, 2007 at 4:10 pm

Cute. Germans must think the same way. It is “der Computer”, i.e. masculine. ๐Ÿ˜€

• Anonymous
      July 20, 2007 at 5:57 pm

Does anyone know if “Computer” gender is Masculine in other languages?

• Anonymous
      July 20, 2007 at 11:01 pm

It usually either 1 or 0 in binary. I don’t think that helps much. ๐Ÿ˜€

• Anonymous
      July 21, 2007 at 11:13 am

Oh yes, it does, Jim. I finally figured out what internal gender the computer really is.

0 = feminine
      1 = masculine

translating the word “computer” into binary, its native language, you get

counting the 0 and 1 you get

29 zeros
      37 ones

the men won by an overwhelming margin. ๐Ÿ˜€ But as you can see the women aren’t quite innocent either.

• Anonymous
      July 21, 2007 at 5:08 pm

That goes to show ya, Women Are Smarter then Puters also!:D

• Anonymous
      July 21, 2007 at 8:47 pm

My ghosh, Cheryl, you are missing the whole point. It’s not about being smarter, it’s about who is more important.

Each binary number is a “bit” which works like a switch that is either “on” or “off”

0 (feminine) = switch is off, darkness, can’t see a thing, nothing is going on
      1 (masculine) = switch is on, light, camera, action, something is a’happ’ning, baby

If it weren’t for the ones, the ‘puter wouldn’t do a thing except maybe burp a few times. If there were all 000000000000000000000000000 on a hard disk, it would be empty. Thanks to us there is meaning, words, commands. ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€

P.S. I hope all this doesn’t confuse all the zeros among you too much. ๐Ÿ˜€