Informal Survey: Hepatitis

• March 24, 2020 at 12:49 pm

Just curious but who here with CIDP has had Hepatitis in the past?

• March 24, 2020 at 3:49 pm

Your question is a very broad one.
      Hepatitis means inflammation (swelling and pain) of the liver. The liver is important for a range of functions in the body. These include regulating metabolism, making proteins, storing vitamins and iron, removing toxins and producing bile.

If the liver doesn’t work properly, it can cause serious illness or sometimes even death. Hepatitis may be caused by infection, viruses, chemicals, alcohol and other drug use and other factors. Chronic hepatitis means ongoing inflammation of the liver, irrespective of the underlying cause.

The various forms of viral hepatitis are named after different letters of the alphabet. These include hepatitis A, B, C, D and E. They are also sometimes called hep A, hep B, hep C, and so on. While all these viruses affect the liver, they are spread in different ways and have different treatments. The most common types of viral hepatitis in the world are hepatitis A, B and C.

Other viruses may also cause hepatitis, such as the yellow fever virus and the virus that causes glandular fever.

• May 31, 2023 at 10:29 am

Hi Dana, I am newly diagnosed with CIDP. Awaiting a 2nd opinion. I am in my early 70s and in good health, and now have this.  I had hepatitis B in 1972.   It resolved.  I am hesitant to use any drugs that affect the immune system because it supposedly could reactive it.  They have me set up for IVIg infusions which I haven’t started yet.  Because of my age they don’t want to use steroids.  I have so many questions about my diagnosis but I’m glad I found this forum