IBS issues

• December 11, 2008 at 12:44 am

Has anyone had IBS show up after getting GBS or if you already had it, did it get worse? I am having a horrible time with it. I know my insides were affected and it seems they are very slow to recover and it has become a painful and very very uncomfortable issue. Dr says I may have a peptic ulcer as well (tested neg for h pylori but all the symptoms are there) so I am forced to take maalox or whatever to get relief from the gnawing/burning sensation. If i eat, it hurts. If I dont eat, it hurts. No blood though. ANd then to have to deal with worsening IBS issues (IBS runs in my family and I have had mild issues for years but it got much worse after I got GBS). ARGH!

• Anonymous
      December 11, 2008 at 12:47 pm

I’ve always had these type of issues, but only got heartburn/acid reflux after taking neurontin, etc. since GBS. I take lots of prilosec for the acid reflux and it only helps a little. BUT, I have found the best thing for IBS type symptoms for me is taking metamucil every day. It is amazing!!! Which reminds me I need to drink it now… I think the drinking the smooth stuff is the best way instead of those fancy pills. Good luck!

• December 11, 2008 at 5:15 pm

thanks Crissy

I have a big bottle of maalox on hand at all times and was told to take acid reducers too. I woke up fine this morning after being miserable yesterday…and as soon as I had a small bowl of cereal (havent been eating much lately) it started acting up. Makes me afraid to eat anything but water! I also have been taking miralax because nothing except Senna tea worked for me. And senna tea can cause cramps and worse symptoms. Miralax is gentle like metamucil.

Thanks for the input!

• Anonymous
      December 12, 2008 at 4:30 pm

had IBS pre GBS now have constipation issues. was having to take a laxative but for some reason am not right now. also eat differently and weigh 150 lbs less now, dont have a gall bladder anymore either. good luck

• Anonymous
      December 13, 2008 at 1:20 am

Hi Lori,
      I have had IBS for close to 20 yrs. It had calmed down for the past 2 yrs, until recently. Flare ups are worse since gbs/cidp, for me anyways. One thing I use is the mighty Banana, it calms the stomach, takes care of cramps and adds pure potassium all at the same time. The next thing I try is an apple a day, the fiber is helpful, but the type does make a difference to my system, I eat Gala, and only 1 a day-anymore then that and it works the opposite. If those things don’t work, I resort to granola, nuts and pure juices, again not too much juice in a day. Along with these things I make sure my water intake is doubled. Just a thought have you tried yogurt, if you have the extra acid going into the intestines it might do more harm to the good bacteria, which yogurt helps rebuild. These are just a first line of amunition things I try for my bouts, after a few days of bland foods and healthy fruits and veggies, my system seems to reset itself. And wouldn’t you know it after I get it reset, I have to go and have more tests ran, get injections that start it all over again, I’ll try to remember exactly what works this time. Take care.

• December 14, 2008 at 3:55 am

thanks! I think I am going to do a fresh fruit and veggie thing. I have been nibbling as opposed to eating lately and tonight I tried some squash and a couple bites of dinner I fixed for the family. Almost immdiately I had bloating, pain, pressure, and felt the urge to go but nothing. It was awful! I drank water (try to keep at least 2 33 oz bottles in me a day if not a bit more…idaho is so dang dry! Need lotion and extra water and my sinuses are always stopped up), took some anti gas stuff, an antacid, and snuggled up with my hot water bottle. I guess I will do a bland diet for a few days and oh added acidophilous tabs hoping to get some relief. If things dont get better, I told hubby I am going to the ER and find someone who wont look at me like Im crazy. My dr has that hypochondriac look in his eyes when I show up. He’s nice enough, but I’d just like to be taken seriously because I am not one to make stuff like this up. Sheesh I got thru the worst of GBS without a dr (not by choice, but still I toughed it out somehow and got back on my feet). I just hate being in pain and being afraid something horrible is wrong. I never worried about being sick or whatever before I got GBS, and now any little thing makes me think something serious is going on. I do strongly believe it is just IBS due to the symptoms and reoccurance and I have had it for years. No blood or vomiting or weight loss (which is wierd since my intake is definitely less than ever). Of course a healthy amount of stress isnt helping matters….vicious cycle eh? Okay, bland diet, healthy natural stuff, and I think forcing myself to get out and walk the dog daily would go a long way in helping things. I really really dont want a scope stuck in or down any part of my body LOL! I know my mom suffered greatly with IBS and it was worse than what I am dealing with. I appreciate the advice and am willing to try just about anything for relief and regularity (yes, pun intended). Hubby says he goes like clockwork daily, I am jealous. I’ve never been regular, but since GBS it honestly feels as if things are way too slow or (rarely) way too fast and I am thoroughly convinced there is still nerve issues. I gotta say it is hard to cook a meal for everyone when I know I wont be able to enjoy it, but I would rather at least enjoy the process of providing instead of risking my family’s health with take out on a regular basis.

This is what I do for “relief”

Whole grain oatmeal or cereal (i am so sick of oatmeal and mini wheats)
      green tea
      hot water bottle
      antacids (who invented that stuff? it is so awful it is hard to convince myself to actually swallow it!)
      anti gas tabs
      acidophilus
      water
      ready fiber or miralax (not if I am eating fiber rich foods…too much of a good thing tends to cause more irritability)

I’ll try the bananas and apples trick. *Sigh* eating has gotten so boring and tasteless….but on the good side, I am thisclose to being a non smoker and havent turned to food as a replacement :). Funny, a week ago I woke up and decided I didnt want to smoke anymore. Done. Dont know why I ever did in the first place. Thought I would feel better immediately, but no not yet. Now I have the ‘clear it out’ cough and the stuffy head and nose but I dont feel as toxic so that is a good thing. Now to change diet habits as well and back to walking once my monthly residuals calm down. What a mess! No wonder my dr looks at me that way.

• Anonymous
      December 14, 2008 at 1:55 pm

Way To Go on the smoking issue, Lori!!!:) Keep it up, You can do it!!:)
      Another thing I use to do was eat baby food for a few days, until my system calmed down, then I would add small amounts of healthy food snacks working up to 6 meals a day. I hope you feel better really soon. Take care.

• Anonymous
      December 14, 2008 at 8:44 pm

[B]Frank developed IBS after his diagnosis and so did Marge. I am sure that there are many who have this problem after diagnosis of GBS/CIDP.[/B]

• Anonymous
      January 16, 2009 at 8:41 pm

i had no issues before my GBS but since have had horrible bowwel issues, one thing i found out is i am now lactose intolerant where as i was not before. so cutting out dairy helped alot.. i still have issues but find them alot fewer now… i hope this helps maybe good luck.

• Anonymous
      January 16, 2009 at 9:15 pm

Mine too started about 29 years ago right after my first child was born. At that time it was pretty mild then it started getting very aggrivating. And that was when I was working. I would be fine at work to suddenly get white in the face with the knawing tummy and would have to run to that bathroom. Would stay in the bathroom for hours and hours on end and felt like my bowels were twisted. Ohh how that stuff gets painful. For years it was just the IBS then the vomiting came at the same time. I too am negative for H Pylori. Then the acid reflux came along. They found a Hiatial Hernia and that was caused by so much vomiting. And I have had the IBS so bad at times where I ended up seeing bloody stools. Preforated the bowel but it sealed back on it’s own. My gastrologist told me because I have nerve damage that the nerves in my intestines work slower than the average normal person. I am now taking Dicyclomine, Nexium and Reglan. And Tums! Since taking those meds I have not seen the IBS anymore! It really helped me out some.
      Eating foods high in fiber are the best and fresh vegetables help. Dairy products like Cheese, Milk and Sour Cream are bad for IBS. Colas with Caffiene and Chocolate are also bad for IBS. Orange juice and anything with high acid contents can aggrivate IBS. I drink Lactaid Milk or Powdered Milk now and have that with my cereals now. Orange juice gets watered down some like an orange aide so it won’t have as much acid. Instead of drinking Diet Cola now I drink clear Soda’s like Sprite 0 or Diet 7-Up. I limit my chocolate and Cheese products. Now I am seeing better results. The Dicyclomine keeps my stomach from cramping as bad when the attacks hit me. Nexium also helps controls the heartburn and the bowel problems and the Reglan stopped my Acid Reflux. I feel much better since they put me on those meds.
      But then I get spells of constipation which then becomes a pain! Thanks to my moms Fig Tree that helps me alot. It’s a natural laxitive type of fruit. Works better than prunes. In the summer I pick those figs and freeze them. When I need a good laxitive I eat those figs and away I go! But eating high fiber will also help keep the bowels regulated. Us with nerve damage will see IBS more often and need a higher fiber diet because of the damaged nerves!
      The one thing that probably makes my life miserable is the IBS part of my disease! That stuff is painful and certainly no fun! Feels like bad labor pains for me. If I had a baby each time my IBS acted up I would have had a thousand children! 😀 Hugs
      Linda H

• Anonymous
      January 19, 2009 at 11:28 am

Lori,
      Since GBS, I too have a lot of heartburn, gas, bloating, nausea and abdominal discomfort, but I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy which showed nothing serious (hiatal hernia). Also had my gall bladder removed. Still having issues (which do fluctuate in severity). I think my food just does not digest as quickly as it used to. I take prilosec every day (have tried them all and decided the OTC worked just as well as the more expensive stuff). Dr. also told me to keep the Mylanta on hand. I am thinking of trying the metamucil suggestion (thanks, Chrissy!) to calm my system down because too many fresh fruit/veggies also causes bloating for me. If you get it figured out, please, please let me know!!!

• January 22, 2009 at 2:13 am

I deal with a burning sensation almost daily now. My rx samples of pump inhibitor ran out and boy howdy they should put a warning on the label as to what happens if you stop taking them. ACID!! A lot of it! I take a daily senna tablet now to help keep things regular and it has helped with the intestinal pain. Gas reducers too. and I try to control the burning with OTC acid reducers (not much help) and mylanta. Mostly just miserable. I wanted to ask if anyone else had noticed that their stomachs dont growl when they are hungry. Mine rarely ever makes noise and when it does, it surprises me. I usually dont realize I am hungry until I am really hungry and in pain. So no growling, but my stomach will hurt if I am hungry. Makes me wonder what my intestines are up to. It may be nerve damage related instead of bad IBS. Anyhow, just wanted to update and tell ya all I appreciate the feedback and advice.