I was pregnant when I got GBS……Anyone else?

• Anonymous
      August 29, 2007 at 8:39 pm

In the summer of 1976, I was three months pregnant when I came down with GBS. I live in Maryland and because of the pregnancy I was sent to John Hopkins. I spent 10 days on a respirator and could not swallow for almost two months. I am 5’9″tall and at one point I weighed 90 pounds. Believe it or not by January when my daughter was born, I was able to walk and had her without any complications. I was in labor for less than two hours. My question is whether anyone who had a baby while they had GBS ever noticed any symptoms in that child. She is now 30 years old and suffers from bouts of extreme fatigue from time to time. She has had countless tests but no reason can be found. I have often wondered if she could have some residual effect from the GBS. Does anyone have any info they could share?

Thanks, boomerbabe

• Anonymous
      August 29, 2007 at 10:29 pm

Hi Boomerbabe, Welcome to the Family. Has she had a lumbar puncture? If so was the protein elevated? Has she had an EMG/NCV test done? Does she have any other symptoms or residuals?

• Anonymous
      August 29, 2007 at 11:22 pm

[QUOTE=angel2ndclass22699]Hi Boomerbabe, Welcome to the Family. Has she had a lumbar puncture? If so was the protein elevated? Has she had an EMG/NCV test done? Does she have any other symptoms or residuals?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the welcome. It is wonderful to find a place where people understand what you are experiencing. As for my daughter, no she has never had a lumbar puncture but she has never had any other signs that she has anything wrong neurolgically. She always passes basic neuro exams with flying colors. It is hard for me to believe though, that I could have gone through all that I did and she was not affected. I was told by a prominant neuro doc that they do not know whether GBS affects a child because they still are not sure what causes it. I have never been able to ask anyone else who has been in a similar situation if their child suffered any ill effects.

• Anonymous
      September 10, 2007 at 9:15 am

I was also pregnant when I got GBS. I was about 6 months pregnant. I didnt have to have a vent. I spent a month and a half in the hospital. We had almost daily ultrasounds and they all looked fine.

By the time I had my son, I was doing much better. Just my face wasn’t working yet and a few residuals left. But I did lose 40 pounds because it was so hard to eat and everything tasted awful.

My baby is only almost 10 months old so I am sorry I am not much help for your situation.

My Dr.’s had said they had only seen 1 baby born with GBS. But then who really knows what it affects.

I was very scared for my baby when I was pregnant and so relieved that he was healthy when delivered.

Did you notice more tired symptoms when your child was small or just recent?

• Anonymous
      September 14, 2007 at 1:00 pm

[QUOTE=Sharon]I was also pregnant when I got GBS. I was about 6 months pregnant. I didnt have to have a vent. I spent a month and a half in the hospital. We had almost daily ultrasounds and they all looked fine.

By the time I had my son, I was doing much better. Just my face wasn’t working yet and a few residuals left. But I did lose 40 pounds because it was so hard to eat and everything tasted awful.

My baby is only almost 10 months old so I am sorry I am not much help for your situation.

My Dr.’s had said they had only seen 1 baby born with GBS. But then who really knows what it affects.

I was very scared for my baby when I was pregnant and so relieved that he was healthy when delivered.

Did you notice more tired symptoms when your child was small or just recent?[/QUOTE]

Sharon,
      I am so happy that your son was born healthy. So was my Daughter. Her tiredness came on as she got older……..starting during her teenage years. I could not eat for almost two months and lost almost 50 pounds, so my biggest fear was whether or not she was getting enough nourishment, however they pumped vitamins, minerals and even fat into me for over three months.

I hope that you and your baby continue to have good health. Your GBS does not sound severe so you will probably have a good recovery. I actually was about 95 % back to my normal health a year later. For as bad as I was, I was lucky. Only in the last few years have I begun to have a lot of problems with residuals. Mostly in my feet, and with tiredness.

Take Care, Susanne

• October 6, 2010 at 5:48 pm

In March of 2010, I was 24 weeks pregnant with my son when I got GBS. I could not swallow so I had a feeding tube and lost 50 lbs. I had a pretty severe case and by 30 weeks, I aspirated and needed a breathing tube. I went into cardiac arrest so they did an emergency c-section. Within days later, my symptoms just disappeared and I was able to move again.

I am not much help as my son is only 6 months old, but so far he has been very strong and healthy. I am still tired and weak but I can walk and use my hands again.

• Anonymous
      November 22, 2010 at 10:58 am

i have finally found people who experienced the same thing as me. I was 30 weeks pregnant when i was diagnosed with CIDP. i was in the hospital from then on until my son was born in may. i lost 60 pounds. he was born a month early because i formed HELLP preeclamsia.
      he is 6 months old now and developing well. we were all nervous about withdrawl from the meds i was on. he was fine.
      we were both tubed after delivery and spent time in the NICU and me in the ICU.

ugh what an experience. i was bed bound for the first three months and i am finally walking with afo’s and back to work.

i worry about his development but the peditrician’s don’t seem to be concerned. he’s just perfect!

• May 31, 2018 at 2:02 am

My elder sister was 6 weeks pregnant when she got GBS. She lost 40 pounds after her daughter’s birth. Even she used to be worried for her daughter but according to the doctor there is no reason to worry and she is fine.

• November 17, 2019 at 8:01 am