I suspect it’s from the vaccine…

• Anonymous
      December 5, 2007 at 5:13 am

Hello everyone, I’m new on this forum, and hope I can get some advice from here.
      I am a 25 yo guy from Israel. On November 11 I got the flu vaccine for the first time in my life. After two days, I felt some stomach aches in the evening. Later during the night I began to feel some vertigo, pressure in the back of my head and much more tiredness than usual. This was followed by weakness in the legs and the arms, also some weakness in the jaw muscles. When I visited my doctor after a few days, he told me it’s probably a stomach disorder, and if had GBS I would have already been paralyzed. I actualy felt better then, except for being much more tired than usual, even after having very much sleep. Later, I again felt worse, with pains in the chest, pricks in the fingers of the legs and hands, and general weakness (also some back pain is present). I called my doctor and he told me to stay in touch with him. I later felt somewhat better – actually since the beginning it was going in waves, a few days worse, a few days better, but even in the better days I felt weaker and more tired than I used to be. Last week I had serious pains in the chest, it was even somewhat hard to breathe, but later it passed. Yesterday I felt relatively ok in the noon, then again, vertigo, weakness and much tiredness in the evening, and there are pricks in the fingers from time to time. Just this morning I visited my doctor again, telling him all the symptoms. He checked my reflexes and told me everything is perfect, and that what I feell will pass by itself, and everyone has periods in their lifes when thay feel worse. I must add that I am quite healthy, except for one thing: I get the cold too often, and after much examinations I was told this is due to some undetermined allergy.
      So, could thse symptoms mean GBS? How much likely is that? After all, I do feel better from time to time, and I thought the chances of getting GBS because of a flu vaccine are supposed to be extremely low.
      What is the best for me to do? I don’t think it’s possible to visit a neurologist without getting a referral from my doctor, not to mention doing hospital tests. Could it really be something that passes by itself?
      I would much appreciate your answers.
      Thanks,
      -Daniel

• Anonymous
      December 5, 2007 at 8:32 am

hi daniel & welcome,

yes, it is prolly the vaccine. literally by the book reflexes must be absent for gbs. your doc is reading the book. but you can get gbs & still have reflexes. you need a neuro to do an emg/ncv. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      December 5, 2007 at 10:17 am

I think you need to see a Neurologist ASAP. I don’t know what you have, but the sooner a MD figures it out the better.

• December 5, 2007 at 10:51 am

Be mindful of the better one day, worse the next. That is how my ten y/o presented and we were dismissed. Additionally, the longer you wait to get a dx and start treatment, the more damage that occurs. Sometimes the damage can be permanent. How long after your flu shot till present has it been? There are time frames that meet the criteria for gbs as opposed to cidp or sidp. Reflexes do not always go away right away, as was the case with my son. If enough time has transpired, a sure fire way for a dx would be a spinal tap to check for elevated protein. As well a ncv/emg would be good to start as a baseline for future comparison if necessary. If you do get a ncv/emg, make sure you go to a place that you could get the same dr. time and time again if the test needs to be repeated. When you get the first one, ask for a copy of the results. The only way a true comparison can be made is if you test exactly the same nerves each time.

The most important thing is to get the dx and START TREATMENT!!!!either ivig as a firs line, plasma pheresis if there are no results with ivig. Since you seem to be progressing slowly as my son, I suspect it would be a mild case of gbs or possibly cidp. In any event, you must get a dx asap!!!!

Good Luck!!
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      December 9, 2007 at 2:13 pm

Thanks for the answers. I am going to insist on having a neurologist examine me. I also received today the GBSFI info pack which was very informative. From what I read, the symptoms I have may indicate CIDP. Could it still be GBS if the progress is very slow and in cycles? And does CIDP have to be “for life”?

• Anonymous
      December 9, 2007 at 8:12 pm

daniel,

too early to Dx you as cidp. successive ncv tests showing decline is a sign of possible cidp. there is something called recurring gbs. cidp can last for life. make sure you rest, rest, & rest some more lying down. gbs residuals feel like active gbs. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99

• December 9, 2007 at 8:42 pm

Well,

It is a very difficult dx to make when the cidp is slow. Kevin’s first dx was gbs. He had ivig for 5 days went home in almost perfect condition 10/06. In Feb. 07 weakness was slowly returning. Doc said to rest, can’t over do with gbs. March extremely weaker. Ncv/emg was the same as in Sept diagnostically, but clinicaly he was weaker. Ivig was scheduled , by now mid March. Two days before ivig, much better, wanted to cancel, doc said no, lets resume treatment. We proceeded w/ treatment every six weeks till June. Another QUICK!!!! full recovery, re dx to gbs again. We thought we were out of the woods. Five months later weakness is back. From mid Oct to Halloween, marked weakness. We had difficulty w/ venous access so a port was put in. This was Nov 7. Now the doc is doing loading doses once a month and wanted to introduce cell cept.

This part of my answer is regarding your question cidp forever? In the last week I have done much investigation concearning treatment plans. Our Doc is currently out of the country and returns after the first of the year. At that time I plan to tell him Cell cept is out of the question, as well, so are the monthly loading doses. I am going to ask for a two week maintenance schedule, later to be moved to a three week schedule. Much of the readings I came across indicate that high loading doses are not always necessary. Each case is different. Kevin presents slowly, so he does not need this WHAMME so to speak. The studies indicated that the drug just needs to be in the body, not necessarily the high amounts usually prescribed. Some studies indicat 1g/kg as maint. dose. Some are even as low as a 1/2g/kg. I am going to ask for the 1g to start to make sure we keep everything repairing for a while. When I say a while, I suspect 1 year of every 2 weeks, then maybe another 6 months of 3 weeks and then see. Some of the studies suggest 4 months is all you need to go into remission I do not believe that, since we relapsed after 4 consecutive loading dose treatments, as well I do not trust the idea of a 1/2 g/kg.

It is possible to beat this? Some members on the site have. Some have had more drugs than just ivig, such as cell cept, imuron, prednisone etc. I am not going to do that because Kevin is only a 10 y/o boy. Some NEED to do this. Obviously if we ever needed to I would.

I did read yet another study that was very encouraging. There were 15 patients, it did not give the specifics of their disability at the start to the finish, but it did give a range of 2-13 years of treatment with full remission. So there is hope and there is a medicine to help Don’t give up.

When Kevin gets mad, I remind him of his little friend that has multiple surgeries ahead for his illness and still will never be “normal” I tell him how lucky the 2nd dx we had was wrong. That had no medicine or cure, just the future of a wheel chair sooner rather than later.

I still get really pissed off about this condition, but I am learning to equate it to just some autoimmune dis that does not kill you. It could be diabetes, with dependance on insulin requiring multiple daily sticks to check blood and deliver insulin. It could be Cancer, It could be some disfiguring condition. It could be a condition with no medicine!

So be vigilant of your symptoms and be positive regarding the prognosis. Because there is hope!

Best wishes,
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      December 12, 2007 at 8:30 pm

Visited the neurologist today. He’d done a complete neurological examination and concluded all is OK, there is no evidence for an ilness in the central or peripherial nerve system. He suggested that I had a light influenza due to the vaccine. I even asked about an electro test, but he told me there’s no need for that, but I can ask my primary doctor for a blood tst if I want.
      So, could it be just a reaction to the vaccine? Should I be insisting on more advanced tests? And how can I do that when two doctors found no evidence for a nerve problem? Currently I still feel weak and tired, but not as bad as before.

• Anonymous
      December 19, 2007 at 4:05 am

Maybe just more time. Perhaps by taking good care of your self and resting lots, you just might recover with to much fan fare. That’s what one would hope for! If you have difficulty walking, eating, or breathing, then head right back to your doc and insist on being tested. Of course if your breathing is involved get to the nearest ER immediately.

I wish you well.

• Anonymous
      January 9, 2008 at 4:17 am

Hello again,
      Over the last two weeks or so, I felt somewhat weaker in legs and arms. Been to the doctor today, was told that I need to exercise, and all the examinations are normal. When I told him I’m conserned it may be CIDP he asked me what’s that! Do you think I need a second opinion now? What’s the chance of having CIDP? Sounds like something very upsetting, if only I didn’t take that vaccine…
      If it really is, will it prevent me from living an independent life??? I was at the stage of planning to get out of my parents’ home, now this is an interrupt. What do you think?

• Anonymous
      January 9, 2008 at 8:45 am

daniel,

you DO need a 2nd opinion. where do you live? a doc who never heard of cidp can’t give a 1st opinion. hold off moving till this prob of yours is resolved. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99

• Anonymous
      January 9, 2008 at 5:09 pm

I think you need a second opinion. Preferraable a neurologist. I was dx with cidp in 2007 and it took a neuro md with nerve tests, blood test, spinal tap, etc to dx.
      You do not want things to continue to worsen. A lot of the questions can not be answered until you have a dx.
      are you able to pay independently for a second opinion? Or sit your MD down and be insistent on a second opinion and referral to a neuro.
      Good luck

• Anonymous
      January 19, 2008 at 7:31 pm

Daniel, :confused:

When I reacted to a tetanus shot seven years ago, the symptoms were very bizarre and stretched out over a long period of time. My doctors could not find anything wrong with me and didn’t want to believe it was a vaccine reaction. First, you must find a doctor who considers it possible. Then you must find someone who understands GBS. That can be very difficult because symptoms manifest differently in each person. You can read my saga at:

[url]http://www.whale.to/a/tet2.html[/url]

You may see that the description that I give is similar to what you feel. After several months, new things appeared…humming in my body, ice-pick jabs, more numbness and an episode that left me not knowing where I was. I know that it is hard to keep pushing when you feel poorly, but keep track of what is going on by keeping a journal so you do not forget. I had trouble holding a pen and writing was hard, but it helped me get through the order. These things may resolve with time–and I hope they do.

Take care,

• Anonymous
      January 21, 2008 at 5:58 pm

Thanks again. I saw the neurologist again, and he sent me to do EMG, though when I told him I think it may be CIDP he told me I’ve been reading too much on the Internet!:) I hope he’s right… I actualy feel stronger over the past few days, though there are still some strange sensations and some minor weakness. What are the chances it’s really something else, or just very mild GBS that will go away by itself?

• Anonymous
      January 22, 2008 at 12:16 pm

Daniel,

Maybe your doctor should read some things that are on the Internet. A doctor and member of the Board told me that physicians get very little training when it comes to GBS and the many variants that appear. Our bodies are very unique and mysterious — what are we to do??? 😀

• Anonymous
      January 27, 2008 at 3:58 pm

Well, got the EMG done, results are perfectly normal. Neurologist said it’s not a neurological problem, and now that I checked everything, the best strategy is to ignore and wait. I do feel a small increase in tiredness and weakness, but not as bad. What do you think?

• Anonymous
      January 27, 2008 at 7:55 pm

Daniel,

That is what I had to do, and with time, my body began to heal. A second opinion wouldn’t hurt if you can find one. I found doctors do not like to disagree with each other and they know very little about vaccine reactions. I bolstered my immune system with COQ10, which is recommended for Parkinson’s and other neurological disorders. Lots of hot baths and rest.

Take care,

• Anonymous
      February 6, 2008 at 8:45 pm

By the way, tha test I had is called NCV – is it sufficient? All results were perfectly normal as I said, but now I feel weaker again. Coul it be GBS/CIDP with completely normal results in that test?

• Anonymous
      February 7, 2008 at 6:58 am

daniel,

‘Coul it be GBS/CIDP with completely normal results in that test?’

if the tester is not knowledgeable, the answer is yes. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99

• Anonymous
      February 7, 2008 at 8:37 am

Well, my neuorologist have also seen it and said it’s nothing.

• February 7, 2008 at 10:29 am

Daniel,
      Was it a ncv/emg? Also as Gene mentioned, if the right nerves are not tested, or the person giving or reading the test is not good, results could be inaccurate. Did they test for Lupus, MS, a simple blood test for Lyme’s disease, or fibromyalgia? I agree, another opinion would be waranted. If it is not gbs or cidp, it is something, you know your body, you know how you used to feel and how you feel now. Do not give up or in until you find an answer to your questions. Good luck!
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      February 7, 2008 at 11:07 am

It was NCS – Nerve Conduction Study – they checked motor and sensory nerves in my legs. It was actualy during a serious improvement, maybe that’s why results are normal. I’m going for a second opinoin.
      On a side note, has anyone on this forum tried fasting for health benefits? I know that fasting can improve and sometimes even cure many diseases that have to do with toxics, including autoimmune diseases.