How Can I Find Out If Web Site Is Real Or Scam?

• Anonymous
      March 3, 2009 at 10:17 am

Hi,
      I would LOVE to go on a vacation whenever my finances allowed it, but I don’t have a friend or family who can travel with me. I am fine doing well planned vacations by myself (like the symposiums) as long as they are no more then a six hour flight, but since I am in a wheelchair, in order to do tours, excursions and have fun, I must have a companion capable of helping me.

I know of one legitimate travel/companion agency, but they don’t do budget minded vacations. It would take me years to save for one of their vacations.

I found an agency on the web called FLYING COMPANIONS and someone will travel with you WHERE EVER you wanted to go. I’d like to try them, web site looks okay (of course), but how can I check to find out if they are a scam???? I tried BBB and Consumer Affairs, nothing came up. Doctors have the AMA (did I get that right?) to check credentials and background, is their an agency to check credentials of travel agencies??

I want to go on a vacation, but I sure don’t want to get involved with a scam and be stranded in a wheelchair in a strange city.

HOW CAN I CHECK OUT FLYING COMPANIONS?

• Anonymous
      March 3, 2009 at 10:01 pm

Hi Liz: I would be very careful of course. You might try writing them and asking for a list of customers they had. If you could check with real people to see what their experience was, that might help. You could ask for five or so people to contact or who could contact you. If they refuse then I wouldn’t risk it. Another possibility is to call up another travel agent and ask them if they have any recommendations-legit travel agents would probably know people to refer you to, rather than getting it off the internet.
      I wonder also if there are any agencies for the disabled that might be able to get you a referral. To me, referrals are always better than going with strangers off the internet.
      Jeff

• Anonymous
      March 4, 2009 at 12:05 am

Hey Roomie,
      Doesn’t it figure that things work like this. I would love to be your traveling companion but financially just couldn’t afford a vacation. I really enjoyed our time together at the symposium and you were no trouble at all. So please, if you do decide to go thru some kind of agency just please please be careful. And make sure they are willing to keep the pajama secret..lol ๐Ÿ˜€

Take care sweetie.

Love ya,

Stormy

• Anonymous
      March 4, 2009 at 9:21 am

Liz, If I were single and childless, I would be your traveling companion in a heartbeat! And, I WOULD keep the pajama secret. ๐Ÿ™‚

Be sure, and I know you will, to research any company or person you might find. Sadly, there are so many scammers out there that take us for everything.

I’ll ask my husband tonite and see if he knows anything…or better yet, I can ask Penny, my sister that you met….she is a travel agent .
      I’ll email her now.

Where is it that you’re looking to go ? We are coming to Orlando in September…I’d love to stop and see you.

I’ll let you know what I find out.

Stacey

• Anonymous
      March 4, 2009 at 5:16 pm

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHH, my jammie probem is supposed to be a secret ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
      Stacey, I hope we can meet when you go to orlando in September. If you’re going to DisneyWorld maybe you’d take an extra person in a wheelchair ๐Ÿ˜€
      Sherry, we’ll have to talk and see what we can do.

I’m pretty smart about scams and this web isn’t giving me enough so I can check them. What sends up the red flag warnings, is that their phone number is a cell phone only.

• Anonymous
      March 4, 2009 at 5:53 pm

I’m not going to telll…..lol :p

Cell phone only is definitely a concern to me but others tell me that people have gotten rid of land lines because cell phones are much cheaper and always available.. Hopefully Stacey’s sister can find out some info. Regardless, just be careful.

Miss ya Roomie..Eventually I will come and visit..lol

Hi Stacey, Hope you enjoy your florida trip.

Take care ladies

• Anonymous
      March 5, 2009 at 1:49 am

Here’s a blog post from the [I]Chicago Tribune[/I] about Flying Companions

http://leisureblogs.chicagotribune.com/takingoff/2007/08/flying-companio.html

And another from Frommer’s

http://www.frommers.com/articles/5443.html

Good luck!

• Anonymous
      March 5, 2009 at 8:25 am

I’m not telling either. ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ll be in touch about Florida, Liz. It’s not till September…so we have a while yet.

I talked to my sister and she is going to have her leisure travel dept do some investigating…hopefully I’ll hear back today or tomorrow.

I never thought about travel companions…wouldnt that be like the best job to have ? Or a personal shopper…that would be fun, too.

Have a great day everyone.

Stacey