Hormone/nutritional testing

• Anonymous
      December 30, 2007 at 10:42 am

Have anyone of you gotten hormone/nutritional labs done with abnormal results? If so, would you mind sharing? Just wondering if there are any patterns among us.

For me, I had:
      –Zinc: marginally low
      –Choline: extremely low
      –Vitamin D: low end of normal, enough that my primary physician wants me taking mega-doses.

Still awaiting hormone screen. Do any other women here have endometriosis?

Lori

• Anonymous
      December 30, 2007 at 12:44 pm

Emily has had a history of low potassium and she’s also had periods where her iron has been low.

Kelly

• December 30, 2007 at 2:36 pm

i THINK endometriousis is immune related, maybe the lack of production of hormones in general has a bigger connection to autoimmune than we think. Who knows? Maybe next blood work order, I will have Kevin’s hormones vit. etc. checked.
      Dawn

• Anonymous
      December 30, 2007 at 6:27 pm

I’ve seen endometriosis classified as autoimmune before, but not always, and it definitely does play with hormone levels. (Whether that’s relevant to demyelination is another story.) I’ve seen some figures saying that women w/endometriosis have a hugely high incidence of autoimmune disorders, so thought I’d ask.

For nutritional testing, my primary physician ordered a vitamin/mineral screen through Spectracell (spelling?) and it was a $750 test, but if you pay something like $75 upfront, that’s all you’ll be responsible for if insurance refuses to cover it. I also just did an at-home saliva test for hormones — I can look up the lab if anyone’s interested. A friend recommended it. I think the tests range from $140-250, depending on how many panels you get (ie morning cortisol only vs. all day levels). I think insurance might cover these tests, and some doctors might just have them on hand. Just an fyi.

• Anonymous
      December 31, 2007 at 8:46 am

Hi,

Dell is 3 and had CIDP. His neuro. and immuologist have tested him for lots of things.

His iron has been boarderline most of the time, zinc low so he’s on a supplement for that. The zinc is very important. He’s on extra calcium and vit d since he’s on solumedrol once a week.

Good luck,
      Lori