Hopeful, Carol

• Anonymous
      August 28, 2007 at 2:22 pm

๐Ÿ™‚ I am going to write an introduction, telling you about myself. I am 60 years old and have just celebrated?) 3 years since my GB hit! I have been in ICU for just about 3 months, then on to the regular hospital for another 2months, then 2 different nursing homes for a month each and then to a ReHab hopital for another 6 weeks. Now I am at my home, with my husband, and have learned to care for myself a great deal. Being able to use a wheel chair was a great thing to accompish but now I want MORE! This is where I found out about this GBFI site! A fellow GB person I have been writing to on another Daily Strength site, suggested I write here and get my questins out to more people.

My main question for ANYONE out there, am I being foolish to think that I might regain my ability to walk again? I It has been 3 years since I have walked. With my GB, it left me PARALYZED ON THE BOTTOM HALF OF MY BODY, without bowel and bladder control, which I’ve come to accept the fact that I most likely will never be able to have that function back again, but WALKING is what I want to do. I have a very suportive husband who takes me anywhere I want to go BUT I want INDEPENDENCE! I’m sure all of you know that awful feeling of needing someone else to do so much for you, but I feel if I could walk, I could drive again, and I could do my housework, straighten cupboards, reach things up high, oh, I can go on and on.

PLEASE, if there is anyone that has knowledge about anyone that has regained theIr abiLity to walk after 3 years of sitting n a wc, PLEASE let me know. I try to have hope and be positive, but after 3 years, it is getting darker and dimmer with each month of no progress. All my insurance has run out so I can’t get any more rehab, but I do go to a place and exercise, with machines to my ability but I don’t know if I’m wasting my time and their machines. Please write if you can, and thank you! Carol

• Anonymous
      August 28, 2007 at 3:40 pm

Hi Carol,
      Based on what other people here have said, you can continue to get better for years and years and based on my own experience – I am able to walk again for short periods and better yet – I regained control over bladder control (never lost bowel control thank goodness!) Of course all come back under fatigue and stress but I think you should go ahead and stay hopeful that you will recover more of your functions. ๐Ÿ™‚
      Julie

• Anonymous
      August 28, 2007 at 4:19 pm

Carol,
      There’s so much good info here and the people are great!Think you will love the site!

• Anonymous
      August 28, 2007 at 4:31 pm

hi carol & welcome,

pls tell us if you are making any improvements anywhere, the time frame, & what they are. i will give you an honest opinion & what you may be able to do to help your recovery. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      August 28, 2007 at 5:06 pm

[QUOTE=gene]hi carol & welcome,

pls tell us if you are making any improvements anywhere, the time frame, & what they are. i will give you an honest opinion & what you may be able to do to help your recovery. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength[/QUOTE]
      Oh but I got excited when you wrote! I woke up on Auguest 24, 2004, unable to get out of bed myself. My husband dressed me and before the day was done, I could do NOTHING for myself. Within the following day, I was taken to the UofM hospital in Mpls., MN and I lost all memory for almost a year. I was diagnosed with GB and they say I almost died thee for a whi;e, but I lost everything. No speech, no eating, no sitting, nothing until I started to gain enough strength to sit for a short period of time and the therapists got my mind slowly working again. All this was taking plav]ce whi;e I was out of the ICU which I was in for about 3 months. I don’t have any clear memory of anything that went on for months. I look back and I see all thecards and gifts I recieved and I have not even a clue what, where, when…it’s gone. After the ICU, I was sent to the regular hospital for a COUPLE MONTHS AND i GUESS THEY KEPT ME UNTIL I was ready for a nursing home. I do have a couple memories of the first nursing home, but after I graduyated into another nursing home, I do have better memories of that place. fter the unsurance ran out, I was placed in a Rehab hospital as they thought they could really get me moving. They were very hepful at showing me how to do things for myslef. I learned how to dress myself, hold a fork, eat on my own, how to lift weights, do exercises that strengthened my arms, did wheel chair pushups until I felt like Popeye. After reached a limited amount of incurance coverage, I went home and tried to exercise myself. After a period of time I learned about this place at a local nursing home that offered “Wellness Center Posibilities”. For a set amount of money each month I am able to go and use the machines and weight lifts there and I am able to ride a Handicapped accessable bus to the place and then they bring me home for a small amount of money. I love it because it is all people that have reason to ‘get out and get off your butt’ problems. I enhjoy the social part of being around peole again and not sitting home feeliong sorry for myself. I am tgrying to lift myself up and walk the paralelle bars but because I am [paralyzed on the bottom half of my body, it is very difficult. I do have braces that were fitted for me when I was in therapy, but I still am so very weak that I can’t go very far and I don’t have the ability to have trained personnel help hold the belt while I try to walk, as the insurance ran out.

Don’t i sound like a pathetic complainer? I know I’m getting stronger in the upper part of my body because I am able to lift myself on and off the toilet to change my diapers myself and my husband put together a shower bench which I can now do my own showers. All that since I went to the rehab place, so I have improved somewhat. Time passes and I can see a little improvement over the long period but I want more NOW and I only notice a teeny weeny bit every so often, like a toe moving, but still no feeling at all. I have strength in my left leg which I use for transfers but the right one is pretty useless.

There! That about does it. What is your prognosis on me? The neurolgist tells me “Keep trying and don’t give up”. Come on now! Does there get to be a time when you just take what you’ve got and be glad for that much? I always was such an independent woman who loved to work, dance, fish, golf, go for long walks…the whole 9 yards! So to be confined to a wheel chair now it is very depressing. I have the ramp in the garage to get out, but where! I want to walk! What are your thoughts? I really appreciate you writing back as I just learned of this site this morning. Now i’m getting all excited again! That is GOOD! Any help you can offer me will be much appreciated and I will do everything yo suggest as I just sit here at this keyboard and plunk away the time! I can’t stand to use the mixer of I would bake some cookies! BooHoo-see how easily I depress myself! ๐Ÿ™

Thanks againa nd I’m looking forward to a reply from you or whoever else see’s this letter. I’m not real sure how to use this sight but ‘m giving it a good try! Thanks again, Carol

• Anonymous
      August 28, 2007 at 5:15 pm

[QUOTE=Julie]Hi Carol,
      Based on what other people here have said, you can continue to get better for years and years and based on my own experience – I am able to walk again for short periods and better yet – I regained control over bladder control (never lost bowel control thank goodness!) Of course all come back under fatigue and stress but I think you should go ahead and stay hopeful that you will recover more of your functions. ๐Ÿ™‚
      Julie[/QUOTE]
      Oh Julie, it was so nice of you to reply. Tell me about yourself. When did you get GB and how bad was it? Did it last a long time or did you recover in a fairly short time. Someone once told me the younger you are when you get GB, the beter your chance of recovery! Hmm, I was 57 when I got it-BooHoo. Yes, the bowel problem is my worst embarrassment. I have no feeling at all down there, so if I poop in my pants, well, I just have to keep checking and you probably know that when there is now muscle or sensation down there, you can’t have anormal BM, so, I have been trying to manitain a good elimination schedule with medications. I hate it, but what can I do? I used t work in anursing home and an assisted living facility and NEVER did I EVER think I would be one of them! Never say never!

Julie, I’m not used to this site yet, so I’m not sure how we find out if we get messages or who reads them opr anything, but thank you for writing as I think this is a GodSend to me! Thee ae people out there that know exactly how it feels! I do have a couple others I write to but with this site, you can reach more people and hopefully others that have had exactly the problems I am having! Oh yes Julie, in case you haven’t noticed, I talk a LOT!!! Bye for now, Carol

• Anonymous
      August 28, 2007 at 5:17 pm

[QUOTE=Lesa]Carol,
      There’s so much good info here and the people are great!Think you will love the site![/QUOTE]
      Lesa, thank you!! Already I have goten 2 replies! Thanks again, Carol

• Anonymous
      August 28, 2007 at 5:47 pm

carol,

first, you do not sound like a pathetic complainer? in fact the opposite. sounds like you have & are doing everything you can think of to improve. your positive attitude is your best ally. even though it is true what your neuro says, abt keep trying & don’t give up, i know you are looking for a more concrete response. here goes; since you are slowly making improvements, you can COUNT ON more. gbs stands for Get Better Slowly. it will not happen fast so pls don’t expect that. i am 8 years post gbs this month & still recover. as time goes on, the improvement does get slower, but it is still there. i think that is a million times better than no more recovery, don’t you think so too? yes, there will come a time where the recovery is so slo that you can’t find it, but you far from there. what i suggest requires no one but yourself, so forget insurance etc. first, continue all you do. it sounds right. now abt the lower half of your body – start w small things you want it to do. i don’t know your exact capabilities so 2 examples might be; 1] work on that toe that now slightly moves. make it move more, 2] from a sitting position pick each foot up one at a time as far as you can. even if nothing happens, do your best in your mind, but pick simple tasks. picking your feet up is a basic necessary step [pun not intended] in walking. get the idea? work on as many little things as you want. if you start to feel tired you must recover from them in 12 to 18 hours or it is too much. w time you will see improvement, just do not expect miracles. this stuff takes time. this is what i did & it worked for me & i hope it works for you. be an active member of this board. it’s good & it’s good for all of us. you’re doing great. never give up. never give in. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      August 28, 2007 at 6:27 pm

[QUOTE=Carol J]Oh Julie, it was so nice of you to reply. Tell me about yourself. When did you get GB and how bad was it? Did it last a long time or did you recover in a fairly short time. [/QUOTE]

Hi Carol,
      Actually at this point we aren’t completely sure whether it was GBS or is CIDP. The timeline is more like CIDP but other things make my neuro think GBS. I would say I’m not typical but I don’t think there is such a thing with this family of diseases. :p

Otherwise, I started getting numbness in July 2005 but it progressed very slowly until last summer when I was nearly completely paralyzed (all but my leg leg) within a few days and ended up in ICU etc etc etc. I have gotten much better and reading other people’s testimonies I will say that it was pretty quick. I got out of the hospital mid-August and was about at the level I’m at now by January. Things have been more or less the same since then with monthly ups and downs.

Like Gene, I came up with my own routines for getting better – there were certain things I wanted to work on like my vision, my ability to swallow and my ability to hold my bladder that didn’t require PT so I did them on my own. I did do some PT in a controlled environment, enough to know how to do my exercizes properly and then I just worked, worked, worked. While sitting at my desk re-training my eyes I’m also wiggling my toes, jiggling my foot or stretching something or another. Honestly some of that is just the sheer joy of being able to do that again! The improvements may be hard to see unless you keep some kind of journal, or your husband has your past paralyzed state firmly imprinted on his mind and reminds you frequently how much better you are. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Keep at it and keep us posted on your progress – everyone victory is a shared event on here!

P.S. I’m 42, I don’t know how much age has to do with an easy recovery, it seems more like how severe the attack was. I’m sure some of the parents with kids will respond with their experiences though.

• Anonymous
      August 28, 2007 at 7:33 pm

Welcome to the site Carol! You sound so positive and full of life, not a complainer – and if you were to complain, this is the place to do it so that everyone can be of support to you.

You really seem to be doing all the right things, exercising to keep your muscles from wasting is the best thing to do – not to mention socializing helps too;) . All I can say is that you carry on with the exercise and great attitude, hopefully those pesky nerves will start to show you a sign sooner than later.

• Anonymous
      August 28, 2007 at 8:20 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I’m beginning to LOVE this new home I have found! I love all the support that you send my way. I’m jiggeloing my toes as I type! Just thought I’d throw that in so you see I’m trying everything! Thanks again, Carol

• Anonymous
      August 28, 2007 at 8:23 pm

Thanks for the reply! I am so happy I found this spot! REAL PEOPLE write back to you!!! I have a smile all over my face, just thinking that I’m writing to people that know exactly how I feel! I’m lov’n it. Have a grat evening, your new friend, Carol

• Anonymous
      August 28, 2007 at 9:25 pm

Carol J we are very close in age. I realize that you are still having problems with walking. If there is any way you can get rehab in a pool, they are great for helping with strenghting all muscles, range of motion and balance. They give you enough support and there are devices you can wear to assure your up right position. I got so much out of aqua therapy. Being in the water took away the fear of falling and helped work muscles that were still too weak to stand or walk. Some pools are equip with paralell bars and some with chair lifts. They all have steps and rails to help the handicapped. Worth checking into some pools in your area. Maybe there is some one that can help you get intouch with one of the fitness centers or rehab places. YMCA or YWCA that have indoor pools. Check for referrals thru your local hospital. You are doing great with this site and once you are comfortable with PM or private messages you can use them too. Or you can email me at [email]yourpalkit@hotmail.com[/email] Put GBS in the subject line!

• Anonymous
      August 29, 2007 at 12:12 am

It is always nice to see someone from MN on the forum; so I would like to sincerely welcome you. I know what it is like to be in a wheelchair for that long, for me it was only through a miracle that I was able to walk again. I know what you mean by independence, I lost that for so long also. You will find so many wonderful people on this forum, I have friends that I still email or talk to after 5 years. I hope you will become a regular.
      Blessings, Pam
      BTW I also sent you an email, I hope you got it.

• Anonymous
      August 29, 2007 at 1:05 am

Carol,

Welcome to the Forums! Not much I can add, to what already has been “expertly” mentioned by our fellow GBS’ers, I think “mind over matter”, in your case is one thing to focus on. I mean, (you already seemed very determined and have a positive attitude). Yes, your nerves have been damaged. So, now, you must try to use your most powerful tool in your body……the brain…….to concentrate and communicate with the muscles directly, since the nerves are not able to send the siglnals as yet. And wriggling the toes is the place to start, as Gene said. Work your way up from there, until you are standing and then eventually walking. Aqua therapy would be a good thing for you as some of the others have suggested.
      I am your age and I got hit with GBS Sept. 4, 2004. I recovered fairly quickly, but I wondered if I would ever walk again?!! But, I have, and you will too…..just takes more time for some. We all are still recovering and improving in different ways and areas.
      Stay positive and know that we are here, and keep discussing your intent to walk again with your neurologist. (And all the other things you want control over).

Per