Hip Contactures

• Anonymous
      May 21, 2007 at 10:58 am

My 35 years old son, David, was struck with severe GBS while holidaying in Thailand over two years ago. He has recovered good mobility in his arms. However, he has developed hip contractures which prevent him from extending his legs completely; so he cannot walk. He was given a couple of injections of Botox in his hip muscles to temporarily stretch the muscles but the Botox was of marginal value. He was recently seen by a surgeon for the consideration of doing some surgery on his hip muscles, but the surgeon did not think that surgery would be a good idea. “It will stretch the legs,” the surgeon said,”but David will never be able to walk again”.
      My question is this: Has anyone any experience with hip contractures? Is it possible to do at least some partial surgery? What else can one do, if anything? Thank you. Max

• Anonymous
      May 21, 2007 at 4:05 pm

Is it possible to for him to lay on his stomach? My rehab Dr told me to do that to stretch out the muscles in the front that are shortened by sitting in the chair too much. It would have to be done on a firmer surface. If the bed is too soft you will not see the results. I couldn’t definetly feel a stretch when I tried it.

• Anonymous
      May 21, 2007 at 9:59 pm

Max,
      I suggest you seek out a teaching Hospital that has a neurological department. I know there is one in Mich. and Philly, Baltimore. I’m sure there are some in the west also. Get a second or third opinion if necessary. Keep on going till you get a better answer. I will be praying for David. I am glad you have found this board, sure that others will have some words of advice and encouragement.
      Mary Ann

• Anonymous
      May 22, 2007 at 9:54 am

Hi Max, Welcome to the Family. Can David go to Aqua therapy? it does wonders with the muscles. I do it 2 days a week, because i can’t do much in the way of land exercises. has he looked into massage therapy also? pain meds and muscle relaxers should be used to control the pain. take care.

• Anonymous
      May 23, 2007 at 2:08 pm

Hi, my son nate has an ankle/foot contracture that happened during the time he was paralyzed. Nothing was done to prevent it but thats another story.
      Anyway, I took him to a very good Orthopedic surgeon to see what can be done.
      He told me he would normally operate to fix that but putting a GBS patient under is not advised and could cause a total relapse.
      He sent us to a place to make him an AFO to gradually stretch his foot and ankle back into the right position.
      They told me it may take a couple of years to correct but they believe it will work. His ankle has already moved some.
      There must be something that can be done with the hips. Don’t let them just write you off that way.
      I would get more opinions until someone says they can help you.
      Trudy,natesmom