Hi, I am new to the forum

• Anonymous
      January 6, 2011 at 11:26 am

At the end of June 2010 my brother was diagnosed with GBS and received plasma f…. (sp?), plasma replacement. He had been living with us since the middle of June. Because he had no income and we were already paying for his COBRA, we could not afford PT. He is doing okay and the doctors have released him from care, but he is doing absolutely no exercise or PT. We never did get a list of exercises or any info on how much to push and how often. I am trying not to get frustrated with him since I have no idea how he is feeling and or what he is going through. I thought I could get some insight from people who have been caregivers and or have had GBS. How much can I push him, should I push him, where do I even start? I would very much appreciate some advice.

• January 6, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Not knowing your brothers physical condition it’s tough to say what he should or should not be doing but I thinks most would agree that a certain amount physical activity is important. Totaly understand what you are saying about the cost of PT. But even if this is not an option there are plenty of info on the web concerning exercises you may find helpful. Here is one….

[url]http://physicaltherapy.about.com/od/typesofphysicaltherapy/u/Rehabilitation.htm[/url]

Also, depending where you live you may want to look into any swimming/wellness programs offered by towns in your area. I have found these very beneficial and the cost is reasonable.

hope this helps

• Anonymous
      January 7, 2011 at 11:26 am

Hello somebody’s ‘sister’, Welcome.

Regardless of his condition it is imperative that he keep moving as much as possible. I know from personal hardship that the less he does, the more depressed he gets, the less he will do and then it is harder on everybody around him.

While p/t is considered by many people to be essential, let’s face it, most of us cannot afford it for very long. At any rate, sooner or later, he needs to take charge of his own care. I am confident we would all gladly go to p/t three times a week where ‘somebody’ can make us do something, yet we won’t go walk down the street even once a week. That’s human nature.

I bet he is capable of something. Stand up? If he can stand then stand up between a door frame, get his balance, raise one leg, alternate legs. Continue. Can he do one sit up? one push up? He’s gotta find the inspiration to do it. Put some rice in a container, get a second empty container. Using his hand(s) to grasp the rice, move it from container to container.

Easter Seals and YMCA often offer free or discounted programs, ditto for the MDA- Muscular Dystrophy Association. Contact them.

We’ve all had to fight ‘oh, poor me, I can’t do anything, I lost my job, now I’m nobody.’ Find something, anything to smile about. Ditto for you- finding smiling I mean. 🙂

By the way, encourage him to join in here…..

• January 20, 2018 at 11:29 pm

Hey… I am vinay from india.

• GH
      January 22, 2018 at 9:20 pm

A physical therapist is best, but there is a lot one can do on one’s own. This issue of the newsletter has a few helpful exercises:

https://30g7el1b4b1n28kgpr414nuu-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Summer2010Newsletter.pdf

Low-cost equipment to help exercise is the Theraband, which is just stretchy material in different strengths to provide resistance to movement. Weights are good. An exercise bicycle is good. The problem is to fit the exercise options to the patient’s needs, which is what the PT would do.

It is important not to overwork during recovery. One must do enough exercise to do some good, but not to the point of exhaustion.

I’m sorry that this so vague, but it can’t be made more precise without someone working directly with the patient to set up a regimen.

• January 24, 2018 at 12:11 pm

GH, this was a post from 2011.