Hi am new to all this

• Anonymous
      May 12, 2006 at 8:25 pm

Hi my name is Sal and am from Australia my dad has just recently been diagnosed with GBS am looking for information. i don’t understand if it can be cured if anyone can help me i’d be most grateful
      thanks

• Anonymous
      May 12, 2006 at 8:37 pm

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Welcome to the board Sal. I’m sorry you had to find us but trust me this is the best place to find information on GBS. I remember when my Mom got this wicked disease I was so grateful for this site. GBS can be a one shot deal but it takes time, a long time. GBS = [B]G[/B]etting [B]B[/B]etter [B]S[/B]lowly period. Please give us some background on what lead up to the diagnosis (Dx) and how you Dad is currently being treated. There are many people on this board that will help! πŸ™‚ [/FONT][/COLOR]
      [COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][/FONT][/COLOR]
      [COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]KC[/FONT][/COLOR]

• Anonymous
      May 12, 2006 at 8:37 pm

Hi Sal, welcome to the family, sorry your dad had to become a member of this type of group, but i’m glad you found us. feel free to ask all the questions you have, someone will always be able to help you. there is no cure for gbs. you might want to give us more information on the type of treatments and tests that your dad has had, if makes things easier to answer. take care.:)

• Anonymous
      May 12, 2006 at 8:51 pm

Hi Sal,

Welcome to the forums. Sorry to hear your Dad has GBS. No cure only treatments to help stop the nerve damage. 2 types of treatments are out there, one is called IVIG (IV Immunoglobulins) an IV that is given over 5 days.
      The second choice is called Plasmapheresis which is alittle more of an intense treatment. Has your Dad received any of these treatments?

Next, pain can be extremely intense because the myelin surrounding the nerves has been damaged. Some patients do not get any pain. Then there’s the vibrations, like a pager going off, it travels through the damaged areas.
      He could possibly have trouble eating because he can’t swallow properly, he may not want anyone to touch him because it sets the pain soaring through the body.

These are just some of the nastiness that goes with GBS. It sometimes takes years to heal and then we have others who heal fairly fast. There will always be exhaustion, pure exhaustion. The patient will sleep for hours and hours.

Could you please tell us a little more about what your Dad is experiencing and any treatments he might have had.

Wishing him the best. πŸ™‚

• Anonymous
      May 12, 2006 at 9:47 pm

hi sal & welcome,

as bad as gbs is/seems, recovery to different degrees is high. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      May 12, 2006 at 10:20 pm

Welcome Sal to this forum. I just wrote a long message, and acidently lost it, so for now I will just say welcome. Will be following your messages and your dad’s progress. I will pray for him.
      Mary Ann

• Anonymous
      May 12, 2006 at 10:32 pm

Thank you everyone
      My dad had back pain he thought it was his cyatic nerve and went to the hosp and the doc there sent him back to his GP to get a referal to a neurologist saying that she thought he had some nerve damage going on. He didn’t go straight to the doc in the meantime both of his feet and toes went numb and he couldn’t walk, he could only shuffle….. the hospital admitted him straight away and he’s had many tests… mri, spinal tap, blood tests, and i think he said they took stomach fluid anyway they have started him on the course that is 5 days i can’t remember the name of it.
      i have only just found out today am in a little bit of shock.

• Anonymous
      May 12, 2006 at 10:37 pm

sal, the 5 days of ivig is the way to go. it will not cure but has a good chance of stopping the gbs progress. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99

• Anonymous
      May 12, 2006 at 10:45 pm

I’m not positive, but I think what your father is receiving is IVIG treatments (Intravenous Immunoglobulin Therapy). These will stop or slow the progression of the nerv damage. Basically what I understand is that GBS is when your body starts to attack the nervous system, and in many cases starts in the back, feet, legs or hands.

This website is full of tons of info, and they have information available to patients and caregivers of those with GBS. The number of affected patients with GBS that recover is very high, so keep positive that your father will get treatments, start physical therapy & recover fully. And in the meantime, learn as much as you can about this weird disease. The more you learn and can take in to your father & his doctors, the better off you’ll both be!

Michelle

• Anonymous
      May 12, 2006 at 10:46 pm

is the iv painful ?? my dad is not telling me much doesn’t want me to worry i guess….

• Anonymous
      May 12, 2006 at 11:15 pm

Hi Sal,

IVIG is not painful. The needle for the IV is put into a vein and the drip is then started. From what I understand the other treatment of plasmapheresis is painful. Ask alot of questions of the drs ,write it down if you have to. We will always try to help you understand what’s going on, that is why my earlier post explained a few things that can happen with GBS.

Take care Sal. πŸ™‚

• Anonymous
      May 13, 2006 at 6:54 am

I think what you are doing by gathering information is to be commended. You will be of great benefit to your Father and his recovery. Being informed will help everyone to understand the progress of this illness.

The IVIG is usually fed into a pickline which stays in the person and makes it easier to take blood and administer medications. Your Father will be more uncomfortable from the GBS than any of the treatments. He will be very tired from the GBS and after the IVIG he might need a little rest.

Check out some of the links on this site they will give you information about the illness and also some suggestions about what the caregivers need to do to help a patient when in the hospital and also when they arrive at home.

Please continue to post to let us know how your Father is making progress!

• Anonymous
      May 13, 2006 at 10:10 pm

Spoke to dad today and asked if he was in pain and he said no:) the doc has said that the progression hasn’t gone any further and the iv seems to be working. He is having physio everyday… We are starting to think about preparing his house when he leaves hospital and changing his car to an automatic so his wife can learn to drive as he has always told her she would never have to……. how wrong we can be:rolleyes: . My dad lives 3 hours away from me so it is quite difficult help him out. i’m going to buy him a computer this week so i can teach him how to get online to talk to everyone here. Thanks so much for the information and prayers for my dad it makes the worry for me a little less. xoxo

• Anonymous
      May 13, 2006 at 10:21 pm

Hi Sal,

Good to hear your Dad has no pain, that is a blessing believe me. It would be great if he joins us after his release from the hospital. Then he can ask his own questions that he might have.

Take care and give him my best. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

• Anonymous
      May 13, 2006 at 10:51 pm

Glad you gave us a possitive update on your father!

Just remember that he will do alot of sleeping and be very tired and has to be sure he does not get exhausted so a computer might be something he has to ease into.

As for the transportation, check into getting a disabled tag for parking spaces and also check into acess to public transportation in your area for disabled people and senior citizens.

I contacted our local hospital and got that information from a social worker for free.

Might be en inexpensive way to provide transportation till someone is able to drive them both around.

• Anonymous
      May 14, 2006 at 2:44 am

i am going up to see dad this weekend coming and will talk to the docs about what type of care he will need when getting out of hosp. His wife is philappinno and some people have trouble understanding her. Will sort it all out for him when i get there. i do have a question though. i keep reading that GBS can’t be cured but treatment is possible does this mean that it keeps reoccuring and medication is needed to keep it under control??? or does it keep flaring up or lays dormant?
      thanks for all info my dad is in good spirits and is just taking it all in his stride xoxo

• Anonymous
      May 14, 2006 at 5:07 am

Welcome Sal,

No, the IVIG is not painful, necessarily. It wasn’t for me, at least, (and I don’t do pain well, I am a big worrier):) All the testing he went through, is worse. And, his body is dealing with the “bigger picture”, the attack by his own antibodies. So, the IV prick is pretty minor.

IVIG is the least of the invasive treatments (the other being plasmapheresis). IVIG is very helpful in stopping or slowing down the damage being done. Your dad will be fine…..it is just going to take time and a LOT of patience on your’s and his part!!! You are in for a LONG ride, so hold one and pray!! We will all pray for you and your dad as well.

Perry

• Anonymous
      May 14, 2006 at 5:58 am

No, there is no cure, but it can be treated (via IVIG, PLasmapheresis). And don’t worry about reoccurence……………only 3-4% anyway!! Just think positive!!!

Medications: Neurontin for nerve pain and vicodin for any other pain. Many of us are on Neurontin for a long time!! Everything will be all right πŸ™‚

Perry

• Anonymous
      May 14, 2006 at 8:29 am

sal,

as perry says only abt 3% of gbsers get it again. what usually happens it that you get better slowly of your own doing in your own time. mucho, mucho rest is important. the tortise wins this race not the hare. residuals, the nasty leavings of gbs, slowly leave but if you annoy them, ie. over do it, they can come back w a rengence. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99

• Anonymous
      May 14, 2006 at 8:50 am

Thanks Perry and Gene
      i am slowly starting to understand what happens thank goodness for this forum i would still be in the dark i am printing stuff out to send to dad tomorrow…..thanx for everything:)

• Anonymous
      May 15, 2006 at 2:07 am

This is to All,

Thank God, this forum is back up!!!!! ……with Newby’s coming on, and needing help……………. hopefully, we can comfort them, and give them some of the answers they are searching for.
      Welcome Back Everyone!!!!!

Perry

• Anonymous
      May 15, 2006 at 3:18 am

Sal,
      Lots of info on GBS on the UK GBS Support Group site.

Click on either of the links below and the info should appear ready to print out and read at ease (if any available just now.)

[URL=”http://www.gbs.org.uk/info/gbs.htm”]http://www.gbs.org.uk/info/gbs.htm[/URL]
      or [URL=”http://www.gbs.org.uk/info/gbs.pdf”]http://www.gbs.org.uk/info/gbs.pdf[/URL]

• Anonymous
      May 15, 2006 at 3:45 am

i have to say i thanked god when i found all of you, the wealth of knowledge that i have read from you people is amazing and calmed me down.
      i just printed that info out thanks so much, my dad will be so appreciative, he asked his wife to go to the library for him but i don’t think she knows where to start.
      i could never say enough thanks to all of you..

• Anonymous
      May 15, 2006 at 6:45 am

Sal,

Welcome to the website. Sorry to hear about your dad. I live in South Australia and there is a support group in NSW where you are. It is called the GBS Association of New South Wales and if you would like to give them a call then they will be more than happy to answer your questions. Their number is 0298691839. It is a Registered Charity and free to ring.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Debbie

• Anonymous
      May 15, 2006 at 8:07 am

sal,

the library is prolly useless – not enough & outdated info. kens gives you the uk site which has some the best info. your dad will get better. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99

• Anonymous
      May 16, 2006 at 3:46 am

Spoke to dad today. Your prayers and best wishes are definately working thankyou very much. The doctors are happy with his progress, the ivig has kept the progression at bay for the last couple of days. He finishes the course tonight, and if the progression has not started again by Friday the doc’s told him he can go home….. fingers crossed. He said he is in little to no pain and paracetomal usually does the trick. His feet and from the ankle up the shin is still numb but he has feeling in his calf muscles. He also said the tops of his fingers were a little tingley. He is in the process of hiring a walker to move around in and the home improvement people are taking him home tommorow to sort out his house and place bars and such around the place to make home easier for him.
      His physio is going really well but they are telling him to take it easy…. i think he is taking the approach that if he pushes himself he will get better faster but i told him {i only know this from your words of wisdom on here} that is not the case and he could do himself more damage so he has to listen to his doctors..
      i’ve read that some people think that you can get GBS from flu vaccinnes, apparently dad had a flu vaccine a week or 2 before he started showing symptoms of GBS, i’d like to know what other people think about this???
      Thank you so much to all am feeling positive towards dad’s rehabilitation.
      Sal

• Anonymous
      May 16, 2006 at 5:52 am

From what I have read GBS follows a bacterial or virus infection when your body is run down. It can also follow getting a flu, polio or tetnus needle. Or after eating under cooked chicken or eggs or a bout of diarreaha. Sometimes since it can be weeks before the GBS shows up it is hard to trace it back to what it may have followed. Mine was thought to be a sinus infection that I had shed before I had to call the doctor. I did visit my Dentist a month before I come down with GBS after getting my teeth cleaned. That could have caused an infection in my gums too! I spend very little time trying to think what the GBS followed now! I would be only guessing at this point!

Well wishes to your Dad and his care givers!

• Anonymous
      May 16, 2006 at 6:50 am

Sal,

There are many possibilities for the cause of GBS but in your Dad’s case it may very well be the flu vaccine. For me, GBS started 5 days after I had my Hep A/HepB vaccines. Each person is different. No one really knows why it happens in some people and not in others.

Best wishes to your Dad for a complete recovery. He is lucky to have you to help.

• Anonymous
      May 16, 2006 at 1:35 pm

hi! best wishes to your fathers recovery! you can read other stories @ [url]www.aboutgbs.com[/url] story #2 is mine as i was knowed as survivor 48! so glad to hear of your fathers progress yes dont have him do too much even though itis soooo tempting for him ! ,,it will only set him back! gbs= getting better sloooooowly!

best of luck and these forums are great ,glad they are back up!

survivor 48 [scott]

• Anonymous
      May 16, 2006 at 9:03 pm

Hi Sal,

You can definely get GBS from the flu vaccine or any other vaccine. My husband was one of the unfortunate ones who got GBS from the flu vaccine, within 8-10 he was already sick.

• Anonymous
      May 17, 2006 at 1:04 am

Hi Sal;

I am sorry you had to contact this group but rest assured you are in good hands. My father was diagnosed with GBS close to two months after a flu shot. I say diagnosed only because it took my own pleading with doctors and a notebook full of information gathered from this forum to convince them that he wasn’t having strokes. I know just how alarmed you feel or felt. I had no knowledge of GBS before this and I don’t know where he or us would be if it weren’t for all these wonderful and well informed people on this forum. It sounds like your dad is on his way to recovery. I am thankful that I was able to convince my dad to listen to the wealth of knowledge I found here and he is recovering very well by doing so. I think my biggest relief was finding a nuero who we could trust and would listen to our concerns. Both you and your father are in my prayers. Take care.

Tina

• Anonymous
      May 17, 2006 at 7:15 am

Hi Sal,
      I hope things are going OK with your Dad. It’s scary when a parent becomes ill – especially with something as long term and unpredictable as GBS – we tend to think they are invincible! My Mum was finally diagnosed last November and is now going great guns (thank goodness) and this site has been a wealth of information. What we learned to do very early on was to ask questions, and to ask them again and again until you get an answer that you understand. GBS is complicated and different for everyone, and a good doctor will not mind answering your questions more than once. I have a sister with MS so we have some understanding of neurological stuff but even so GBS left us floundering for a while. Keep your chin up and keep in contact with your Dad as much as possible. I live in the same area of Sydney as my Mum (which has been such a blessing) but staying in touch however you can is so important. Take care of yourself too. Best wishes. Cathy

• Anonymous
      May 17, 2006 at 8:06 am

Thanks you are all wonderful
      Hope all of you are doing well too.
      I speak to my dad every day he lives 3 hours drive away from me so it is the only communication we have at the moment but I make sure that phone at least once a day. I offered to go straight up there when I found out but he told me everything was ok and there was nothing I could do and my son needs to be in school….. His wife and he weren’t even going to tell me until he had finished the dose of ivig it’s only that I rang to tell him my son’s weekly soccer scores that his wife couldn’t keep it in any longer. He is a very independent man and is finding relying on others very humbling to put it nicely.
      He got to go home today to make his house easier for him to move around in independently. So he was happy with that and to get out of the hospital for a while. He is starting to ask questions and I have told him about a lot of you in this forum and he seems very interested. He also said he is having a little pain at night up his legs and his feet are starting to feel very cold during the night too. At least his feeling something I guess.
      I am leaving to see him on Friday in case he is allowed to go home.
      I think I am very lucky to have my dad and love him very dearly and there is nothing I wouldn’t do just to make him comfortable. When you love someone caring for them isn’t that hard when there is something you can do for them….. It’s harder to watch and not know what to do… Thank you all so much for heading me in the right direction to help my dad.

• Anonymous
      May 17, 2006 at 9:33 am

sal,

neurontin or lyrica for pain. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99

• Anonymous
      May 22, 2006 at 5:10 am

Hi all
      my dad has been driven down to near to where i live. They found a disc in his neck pressing on his spine and the doctors thought that it might not be GBS. But today the doc said it definately is GBS. He is doing really well. We haven’t met with the neurologist yet tommorow he is to have an NCV test. The doc today seemed to think that the damage that is done is only to the myelin sheath not the nerve but we have to just wait….. we’re getting use to that:o . Dad is walking a little better, he has no pain, his feet feel cold at night though and he can’t close his eyes and stand up or walk one foot in front of the other or stand on his toes amd is really wobbly on one foot. The strength in his legs have seemed to have come back too. i hope u r all well thanks to you all.

• Anonymous
      May 24, 2006 at 6:08 pm

Sal,

I am glad that your dad has been moved closer to you. It sounds like he is doing really well. With your continued support and love he will continue to improve. It is quite a slow process GBS as I have experienced. Try to tell him to take it slowly. We all try to do too much and it is detrimental to us in the long run.

Best wishes
      Debbie