Has anyone had…

• November 6, 2006 at 7:53 pm

Has anyone had GBS or MFV/GBS and then came down with it again?

My question is were the symptoms the same the second time? Or were they different?

I know kind of a weird question, but I hope I can get some input to figure out what is happening with me before I get to the Neuro.

Thanks Schel

• Anonymous
      November 7, 2006 at 5:14 pm

I had gbs 23 years ago, and again 3 years back. The second time i had the same symptoms, but not as extreme as the first time. I didn’t see a doctor the second time.
      All the best……..

• Anonymous
      August 28, 2009 at 10:57 am

Good, I link [url=http://www.suvstone.com/suv-stone/Chinese-Granite-Colors_1.html][China Granite[/url]

• Anonymous
      August 29, 2009 at 10:38 am

I had GBS/MFv in 1993 and again in 2004. The beginning symptoms were very similar but everything went very bad quickly – it was MUCH more severe & I was in ICU breathing thru a tube in my neck, being fed thru a tube in my stomach, for a for 2 months. Then physical therapy.
      In other words – don’t mess around with it – get to the neuro fast!

• Anonymous
      October 20, 2009 at 9:51 pm

I had GBS with MFv for the first time at age 11. Then 2nd time age 30. and 3rd time at age 37. I am now 40 years old and just wondering when it will come again?

I have been reading posts on here and it is weird that there does not seem to be any pattern?

The 1st time I had it I had the flu for 1 week then woke up better and went out for the day. Came home, ate dinner, went to sleep and woke up in the morning with 0 feeling from my waist down. I was only 11 years old. After 4 months the my feeling started to come back in my legs and I went on to 1 year of physical therapy and completely recovered.

2nd time around was the day after I had the flu. I was not paralyzed but extreme weakness for 4 months. Could not even carry a load of laundry.

3rd time was right after I had the flu again and this time I was weak but not as weak as the 2nd time. I could carry a load of laundry but it felt like a ton of bricks.

I am wondering though….DOES ANYONE GET SICK A LOT? I get at least 3-4 colds per year even though I eat right, work out, and try to stay in shape and active at age 40. Wondering if we have a weakened immune system?????? DOES ANYONE KNOW????

As far as the flu shot I have seen tons of articles and all my doctors have said to NEVER get the flu shot. It wasn’t until recently that I have heard some doctors saying it was ok to get the flu shot. So far my thought on this is that the doctors that are saying “get the flu shot” just want to use me as a guinnea pig. Well…..I won’t risk it. They still do not know a whole lot about GBS and so I feel it is left up to the patient to decide how comfortable they are with getting the flu shot. I am not comfortable at all since it has always come after having the flu….

Thanks for any feedback or answer to my question about weakened immune system.

Lisa

• Anonymous
      October 21, 2009 at 11:41 am

I think you are on the right track by reading thru all the threads in all the different catagories offered here. You are beginning to see that the one thing we have most in common is that we each take a different course on our journey through GBS – there is no set track this illness will follow. As for me – I got GBS both times following a very simple sore throat that hung on and on and would not go away. Otherwise, I am very healthy – I do not catch stuff going around very often at all. Let me add that for the last 7 years I have lived very rural and don’t get out among people very much. The flu shot is OUT, I will just stay secluded & hide from it. Have you registered with the foundation & get the book & newsletters? That is very helpful. Has your neuro concidered CIDP? Good luck on your journey to learn.

• Anonymous
      October 22, 2009 at 11:29 am

Hello Lisa and welcome. Was wondering to what extent did you recover. Was each episode worse then the last?. And what residules ,are if any?
      Thanks
      Ron