H1N1–"mild" GBS or CIDP or variant?

• Anonymous
      February 1, 2010 at 4:35 pm

I had the H1N1 injectable vaccine on 11/15/09. On 11/19/09, I developed shooting pains in my legs/body, so bad that I wanted to cry at one point. I went to the family doc who said that I was having muscle aches from the vaccines. A few days later, I developed an all over body rash, and severe nausea. A few days later, I started to get tinglings/fatigue, etc. Went back to family doc who sent me immediately to Neuro #1. Neuro #1 said you may have a virus, nerve inflammation, mild GBS, and to come back in a week. Was bedridden for a week with severe nausea, fatigue, hypersensitivity, tingles, etc. Lost 10 lbs in a week. Went back and reflexes were diminished. Normal EMG/NCV. I asked if he could treat me, I was miserable. He said “only if you are not walking.” Told me to come back in 2 weeks. Called and said I am doing poorly, went back in a few days. Reflexes were completely gone at this point. (11/30). He recommended a lumbar puncture. I asked him if I would get headaches, and he said if you do, you lie down. I said for how long, and he said “weeks.” At this point, I am still mobile, and taking care of my 2 children, 2 and 4, working at home and lying down in between. I was scared, so I told him that I needed to think about this. Decided I needed a second opinion.

While waiting for the second opinion, I went to the ER one Sat (12/5) and they treated me for dehydration, (some vomiting with severe nausea) and did NOT call the neurologist on call. When I spoke to the neuro the next day, she said, they should have called me. Saw second opiniond doctor on 12/10, Neuro #2, who said that I should have been admitted to the hospital when I lost my reflexes. My reflexes came back. I had arm weakness in both arms, could barely lift my hair dryer. He said that I could be admitted to hospital for brain MRI and LP or since I seemed to be improving, monitor symptoms. I asked him if he would treat me and he said probably not. Decided to do brain MRI outpatient, which was normal. I called and asked if I should do the spinal tap and he said no, and told me to go back to Neuro #1. Since I was not happy with neuro #1, I called the GBS foundation and got recommendations for University of Chicago. Went there on 12/21, so now I am a little over 4 weeks into this. At this point, arms had come back. Just had muscle aches, burning pain on back, nausea. Did full neuro exam and told me to come back in Jan for repeat EMG/NCV, which was normal. I seemed to be improving around Christmas time and then took another dive with my eating issues, severe nausea, etc. Have lost a total of 25 lbs. I was told that “nausea” is not a neurological symptoms, but I went to the gastro who said it is, and had an endoscopy, which shows mild gastroparesis.

Now I am about 2.5 months into this. Dragging myself to my sedentary job every day. I saw the U of C doc again and EMG/NCV was normal again. Said that I might have the autonomic variant of GBS, which affects small fiber nerves. Going to do sweat test and skin biopsy on 2/11. I asked again about treatment and they said that there are side effects of IVIG, kidney failure. All of my blood work is normal and the doctor said that since I did not have the spinal tap, there is “no evidence of GBS.” Trying to imply that I have anxiety symptoms.

Current issues: burning back and arm pain, sleep disturbances (wake every 2 hours), hands/feet go numb while sleeping, tingles in hands and feet, occasional numbness in feet, muscle twitches all over, but mainly in legs, still having eating issues but that is temporarily improved, tired all the time, aches and pains in arms and legs, occasional urinary urgency. I have severe anxiety and depression as a result of all this, for which I am trying to get treatment. Neuros are not sympathetic!

My questions are:

1.) Am I having residuals of GBS? Symptoms of this autonomic variant? CIDP?
      2.) I was bounced around in the beginning and keep obsessing about whether I should have been treated with IVIG. Do they do this for “mild” GBS? I was mobile the whole time, and only had the lost reflexes and arm weakness, along with all of the other weird symptoms. I really tried to be an advocate for myself, but wonder if I missed the boat on this.
      3.) Should I go to Mayo clinic or try somewhere else? I was told that these docs at U of C are GBS experts.

I am very frustrated, cry a few times a day, and wonder if I will ever feel “normal” again. I worry constantly that I am going downhill, or that I am having relapse, worsening symptoms. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. :confused:

• Anonymous
      February 3, 2010 at 4:44 pm

It really sounds like you have had the run around from everyone.

I am post GBS-May-2005. My symtoms started after a colonoscopy and like you I was misdiagnosed by 2 doctors the first week. I went out of town for a scheduled vacation at the Dr.s insistance and continued to decline. I wound up in the ER when I was mostly paralyzed which I have found from the forum and other research is where most diagnoses of GBS are confirmed. They did a Spinal Tap that showed the elevated protein for GBS and they gave me 5 IVIG infusions while in the hospital. I was then transferred to inpatient rehab for 10 days and released for outpatient care for 4 months. I went back to work after 6 months but it was a struggle for the first few months of working again.

I was told that if you go without the treatment for the 1st month that you really don’t need it at that point as most people are at the worst they will get after 3 to 4 weeks. After that time you will start to slowly improve. The IVIG that I received only stopped the progression
      It takes a LOT of REST and TIME to recover. It has been almost 5 years and I believe I have recovered to about 95% on most days. Like everyone else if I get stressed or over tired my residuals are more noticable.

You mention you are still taking care of children at home and working. Is there a way you can have additional help or put you children in daycare as it sounds like a lot of stress that you are under. Stress is a big contributor to your symtoms and fatigue.

I hope my story helps in some way.

• Anonymous
      February 4, 2010 at 11:46 am

Robin,

Thank you for responding to my post! I really appreciate it.

It sounds like from what you are saying that it takes a long time to recover, even if it is “mild” like in my case. I am working full-time and taking care of 2 kids, 2 and 4, so I am under a lot of stress. My kids are in day care and preschool so that helps. If I don’t work, we will not be able to afford our house, so I push myself every day. The other day, I had burning pain all over my body and was so tired, I barely made it through the day. I went home and slept from like 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. Yesterday a.m, I threw up twice in the a.m., but then seemed to do better, with fatigue hitting me midday. Today, I am feeling better, but have weird tingles up and down my left leg and pain in my arms. I constantly have muscle twitches. I have a very dry mouth today. What drives me nuts, is that my symptoms vary hourly and daily.

When I call the neurologist, she leaves me messages to up my dose of gabapentin. I have not taken it yet because my pain has actually been fairly mild. I don’t feel like she is taking me seriously. I am having my thyroid checked again (a panel) to see if there are some issues there.

I can’t figure out if I might have CIDP though what with my symptoms being ongoing. I don’t have muscle weakness though which seems to be a hallmark of that.

I am going to see a neurologist next week for the autonomic nerve testing. He had told me that if it tests positive, that I could have IVIG. I had been told that IVIG doesn’t always work, etc. though which is discouraging.

Boy, is it tough dealing with an autoimmune disease! Thanks for sharing your story with me. That helps me a lot.

Can I ask what kind of residuals did you have? Do they sound similar to what I experience?

Jessica:)

• February 4, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Hi Jessica,
      Just an opinion, your body and your docs can give you the best indication. So…I would say based on the return of your reflexes, more than likely it was gbs. Flu shots can do that, as a matter of fact if you search swine flu vaccine outbreak 1076 you will find info on gbs/cidp and shot. The spinal probably would have been a good tool, but you can’t worry about that now. Something you CAN worry about is keeping watch over your current symptoms. If they worse, at the very least go to your GP to see if your reflexes are still there. If symptoms get worse, you may in fact have cidp. Typically, not always, gbs moves quickly, hours 24-72, but others can worsen up to 4 weeks. That was where our problem was, my son seemed to plateau at 4 weeks, the cut off between gbs dx and cidp dx. For the most part, it is true, after the initial attack of gbs, treatment is usually not pursued after an amount of time has passed. If it were cidp, that is another story. Yes, ivig DOES have risks, but in my opinion, the benefits outweigh them. W/out it, my son could not walk, use his hands, bathroom, breathing issues.

The gaberpat. is what youo would use for pain, Regarding the crying and sadness, totally normal with the situation, an illness and no dx!! Who would not be stressed. It has been a little over 3 years for us and I am still crying. Anyway, Cymbalta might help with the depression AND it helps with pain. The dry mouth also could be an autonomic response.

About the neg ncv/emg, you could have been tested too early being that is was somewhat of a mild attack compared to some. You might have to just wait it out to see if you worsen before you can get answers. I sent you a private message.
      DAwn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      February 5, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Thanks for your advice yesterday Dawn. I also talked with another person who had experience with GBS. It sounds like at this point my symptoms could be residuals of GBS or if it is CIDP, I will have to wait and see if weakness returns. I am pretty sure that I have autonomic involvement. (dry mouth, GI problems, body temperature issues)

I was talking with my coworker who has been to Mayo for brain surgery and she is going to give me some information. I am going to explore this route since I don’t feel like my current docs are being very responsive. I have yet to speak with the doctor after trying to get a hold of her all week.

• Anonymous
      February 23, 2010 at 11:06 pm

Hi Jessicah,
      As you read posts on our forum, you’ll find your symptoms over and over again in the onset of this condition. My heart goes out to you; when I read your 1st post, it was like reliving my own experience, minus the medical intervention. The run-around was similar.
      Let us hope the worst is past. But your body is undergoing some damage, and only time will tell what has been affected. So please take good care of yourself, rest often, and don’t overdo, guard your muscles. Rebuild your strength with good food, lots of rest and find ways to take some of the burden off your responsibilites, ease up on the housework, get babysitters if possible. I think it helps to try to keep going, but be careful not to wear yourself out.
      Gentle hugs ((( )))

• Anonymous
      February 24, 2010 at 9:22 am

Thanks D.U. I am 3 months post now, and have recovered in some ways, but still having pain in the arms and legs and tingles. When I sleep, a lot of numbness in my arms/hands, and occasionally feet. I am taking it one day at a time. All of my tests are “normal,” but I have been told that can be the case. Such a horrible, frustrating disease. I would not wish this on my worst enemy. Thanks for the support.

• Anonymous
      February 28, 2010 at 12:16 am

Jessicah, for the first year and a half, I too would not wish this on my worst enemy. But now after the frustrations and suffering of 2 1/3 years I do wish that doctors knew exactly what we are talking about. Because I’ve found them to be very clueless and indifferent to the pain, crippling, the other debilitating effects, and the devasating effect all of this has on a person’s life.

I now think doctors should experiment on themselves.
      They should take all the vaccines that the scientists produce for the public. They should try out all the drugs they prescribe to their patients.
      And they should make lots of notes on their computers about all of the effects of these things on themselves, thus educating themselves better.
      And then when the patients visit them in their offices, and the docs tell them how much pain and damage they’re dealing with, the patients can tell them that they look just fine, and remind them that their tests came back ‘normal’.

OK, GBS-CIDP are hell on earth; and we don’t want others to have to undergo the damage and pain that we are dealing with. I hear you.

• Anonymous
      March 23, 2010 at 3:14 pm

Jessica,

I read your posting and so sorry to hear all that you are going through. I had none of the pain so that you are dealing with. The first time, it was mainly in my arms, like you I couldn’t hold the hair dryer and do my own hair. Then my legs were getting heavier and heavier, like they were lead. I had to pull myself up the stairs. I had a foot drop that when I was walking, it was like my foot was slapping down, not realizing that I couldn’t lift the front part of my toes off the ground. If I was sitting and not reaching up, I felt perfectly fine.

By the time I went to the doctor for the EMG, the only way I can explain was that I felt like I was slowly getting paralized.

I had my first symptoms of muscle pain in my arms for a few days and had bouts of double vision. I had been out of town for 5 days, from a Wed. to Sun. During this time, everything started going and getting worse as the days progressed.

I did get medical attention quickly, and that was a blessing.

The Monday I came back I saw my first neuro, who was an idiot. He doesn’t even do his own testing and just wasted my time. Then that afternoon, I went to another neruo who did the EMG/NCV. She was rushing, because it was late and she wanted to go home. Her attiude changed when she started getting the results. However, while I was on the table having the EMG, she tells me that I have GBS and when i inquired what that was, she responded that I was going to be a parapalegic. She would speak to my neuro. I took the results with me and went home to read about GBS.

When I read the prognosis, the next morning I called my friend, who is a lawyer and asked to write up a living will and power of attorney, so my husband and daughter can speak on my behalf and control the upcoming situation. Upon speaking to her, she reminded me of a neuro that I had worked for 20 years earlier. I also currently worked with someone who was a personal friend of hers. I am happy to say, I was in her office that afternoon. I got there at 2:00 and didn’t leave until 8:00. She did not want to believe the results from the neuro from the evening before, because my symptoms didn’t fit as a typical case. By the time I left her office, she too dx GBS, called the hospital that i would be in the next moring for a spinal tap and to start day 1 of IVIG.

The Spinal tap showed there was protein in the fluid and I was admitted into the hospital for the next 5 days for IVIG treatment. On the second day, I was able to lift my arms over my head. This reaction is also not typical. most people do not respond as quickly. I left the hopital 12/22/09 feeling great, like it never happened. By 1/26/10 i was put backin the hospital bc I had such double vision and my weakness was coming back. After the 5 days again everything was good. 3 weeks later I went in for the day to have 1 dose of IVIG. less than 3 weeks later, I had to go back in b/c I was getting the weakness again. My eyes were perfect. I don’t really fit into any specific category yet. They did blood work to see if the antigen that is usually present in patients with Miller Fisher (forgot the name, IQ1B). well that was negative. She called me last night and wants me to wait 3 weeks before the next treatment and see what happens. she is not convenienced it is CIDP.

She said w/CIDP. you don’t have the problem with the eyes. So my symptoms are poiting to two different varients. At this time, i am waiting another week to see if symptoms come back, or hope that maybe this was just GBS and we caught it early and I am on the raod to recovery. only time will tell at this time.

I hope you get answers that you are looking for. I find this site to be helpful, because it makes you more informed and are etter able to ask proper questions and hopefully get answers and the right treatment for you. My doctor also told me to take Vitamines “B”, “C”. I alternate every other day with these and take a multi vit every day. i also take a baby asprine (something to do with the IVIG).

If you need a spinal tap, it did not hurt me. I did get a headache and the only way to feel better was that I laid down. But don’t forget, I not only had the spinal tap, but I had my first course of IVIG, which is known to give headaches as well. one way to help with headaches and IVIG, is to have the IViG drip slowly. When I got the five days they had it drip for 6 hours each day. When I go for these monthly infusions, they give me a little more in the bag, and she had it drip for 8 hours. I had no adverse reactions to this so far. The slower it drips the better for you.

don’t hesitate to contact me.

Laura

I was lucky enought that I had seen these two doctors on the same day

• Anonymous
      March 29, 2010 at 11:08 am

Jessica,
      I had the vaccine (injectable, Sanofi Pasteur) on October 29th and since then I have progressed to almost the exact point as you. I wound up in the hospital for 5 days with my digestive system completely shut down and had all the tingling etc…Now, it is all muscular with fatigue and perceived weakness, since I get tired even chewing a cracker or brushing my teeth. My neurologists (3) have given me the same frustration you are feeling with an inability to really figure out what is going on. All my tests have come back negative, which happens about 60% of the time despite positive disease. They are hesitant to use IV IgG and steroids etc…because often those treatments are very harsh and even as dangerous as the disease itself, so they use it conservatively when someone is really bad. Additionally, it often does nothing if treatment comes long after the onset of symptoms. I am wondering what vaccine you got, if you feel like sharing, and did you report the adverse event to the CDC [url]http://vaers.hhs.gov/index[/url] ? Also, how are doing these days? Are you feeling any relief from the symptoms? I really hope you are and you are in my thoughts. I totally empathize.
      All my best.
      Chris Fraker (Hollywood, FL)

• March 29, 2010 at 11:58 am

I guess I would want to try to figure out if it is gbs or possibly cidp. Because you guys have had a normal ncv/emg and in your case a spinal, maybe the nerve biopsy could be helpful in determining if there is onion bulbing evident. If there was not then gbs or a variant there of from the vaccine would be the logical explanation with no treatment as you indicated. But if onion bulbing was apparent you could deduce that it was cidp, the onion bulbing indicating continual demylienations. Then treatment would be warranted. Some people do have normal ncv/emg and l/p’s. About the dangers of treatment. I would agree that you cannot give treatment for gbs so far after and I would agree that it would not be responsible to administer ivig or pred. without knowing for sure gbs or cidp. But should it be cidp, you do have to do something and the ivig is not dangerous provided it is infused properly and the proper blood work is done prior to infussion to see if you are allergic. I am so sorry you and Jessica are in this diagnostic limbo. I hope you guys get relief/answers soon. Keep us posted.

• Anonymous
      March 29, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Chris,

I had the H1N1 injectable vaccine on 11/15. I am not sure of the manufacturer. I did report this to the VAERS, and someone called me once. There is some vaccine injury reimbursement program that I am looking into for my out of pocket medical bills, deductible and copays which I am going to be maxing out.

I am on my 4th neuro. All tests still normal. Neuros are all perplexed, but are leaning toward mild GBS, or inflammatory or autoimmune reaction to the vaccine. My gastro problems have improved. I have gained about 10 lbs back from the 25 I lost, am able to eat now. I do have occasional nausea (take the generic Zofran), and also take Miralax for constipation so that has improved. I still have tingling in my fingers, left foot/leg. Numbness in my right arm when I sleep. Occasional feet numbness and weird sensations. I was having bad right elbow pain and muscle pain in my arms and legs, but that seems to have improved, maybe temporarily. I had hair loss for about 3 months, which seems to be getting better, crazy hormone issues. I am still taking about 1 Xanax a day to help with anxiety. Mood swings and anxiety are better, but still there.

I am still tired quite a bit, but I am working full-time and taking care of 2 kids under 4. I guess I can say that overall I have improved, about 4 months into it now, but I am still concerned about the lingering problems. I also have muscle twitches, which ebb and flow. I have been concerned about possible CIDP, but have also been told that these could be residuals. I am waiting for some more blood tests results, but was told verbally that my cervical/thoracic MRI was normal.

I did not get IVIG/plasma, or any treatment for the same reasons that your doctors are citing. Had I received it, I think I would be in better shape now, and would not have had such gastro damage. But that is all water under the bridge now, right? If you have the same things I do, things will get better. I hope that they get better faster for you than me, but 4 months is short in the scheme of things. Keep asking for tests and looking for answers and keep me posted. Good luck!

Also, every dr I have seen (and I can’t even count how many I have seen) say that I am the first one with a reaction to the H1N1 vaccine…I am glad, but not really, that I am not alone!!

Jessica

• March 29, 2010 at 2:13 pm

I think the docs that say you are the first ARE FULL OF CRAP now we have two! No]t to mention people who have not made the connection yet.

• Anonymous
      March 29, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Exactly….and if they combine the seasonal flu and the H1N1 flu vaccines into one next year like they are talking about, there will be a lot more people, unfortunately! I used to never worry much about vaccines, and now I have a different mindset.

• Anonymous
      March 29, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Jessica….I too had really bad digestive issues. I am also a Type 1 diabetic, so it became a hard time for me. I had two bouts of sever constipation > 2weeks…on the second bout, I wound up in the ER and the gave me a laxative that caused heart problems. Lucky for me, because when they did a scan of my gut, finally after I insisted, they found pancolitis that was a clostridium difficile infection. the docs thought I got it, since it is normally combatted by healthy gut flora, because I had been wiping out my flora with milk of magnesia and had suffered prior constipation with problems. I too, still have residual stomach problems and have found that beans have helped keep me clear (funny) and I occasionally take protonix and dulcolax, if absolutely needed. For me, it was a feeling of being so full, that even a glass of water made feel like I would explode. The antibiotic they gave me also has side effects of causing peripheral neuropathy, so it has been a mystery. I was getting a little better, I thought, a few weeks ago, but then, I got a bad cold, and everything flared up quite a bit. the pain I feel in my upper back and shoulders is ridiculous and the fatigue from doing things like chewing a cookie in my face or brushing my teeth in my arms, is discouraging. My kids think I am a little crazy ๐Ÿ™‚ because I do these funny tests like jumping to touch the ceiling or pushups or lifting my legs in the air. My strength seems to be OK, although my legs tremble whenever I lift them from a sitting position. I also have fasiculations (twitches) and the numbness during sleep wakes me also. The anxiety is a bummer and I haven’t been taking anything because most of the meds mask some of the symptoms, but I know the stress only amplifies them. This has been an experience, as the doctors have been dismissive and less than helpful, mostly because, in my experience, most docs don’t want to think they can’t figure something out. (I am a PhD medical researcher and work with many physicians). I know of several other cases, including my friend’s wife, who has been twitching since the vaccine.
      I really hope you keep feeling better and don’t be a stranger. Let’s be there for support, because it helps me knowing there is someone out there, also. I have been appreciating every day with my wife and kids, also, and this has certainly taught me not to take things for granted.
      All my best,
      Chris

• Anonymous
      March 29, 2010 at 3:12 pm

Dawn,
      What exactly happened to your child? I am always completely bummed to hear of a kid that suffers. It must be the parent in me. Jessica, I forgot to mention that the only doctor that said anything otherwise to me was the ER doc the night I was admitted to the hospital. He said he had been seeing an inordinate number of patients with constipation and GI problems post H1N1 vaccine.

• Anonymous
      March 29, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Chris,

That is VERY interesting that the ER doctor told you that he had seen a lot of people with GI problems post vaccine. That was the worst problem for me, really, out of all the issues. I had severe nausea and loss of appetite, lost 10 lbs in one week, and 25 lbs in about 2 months. It was crippling. I kept begging them to help me with it, and all they could do was give me anti-nausea meds and up that. I also had an endoscopy and the dr said that the motility was slower. I went to the ER for dehydration one time. I was basically subsisting on chicken broth and Ensure at one point. I felt like I was sort of having trouble swallowing, but not really, and my stomach would actually cramp up when I tried to eat solid foods. But I was walking around this whole time….I was told that nausea is not a neurological symptom, but the GI doctor said that it can be.

I laughed when you said that you have tests to check every day…I am the same way. I lost strength in my biceps and could not raise them over my head. Every day, I touch them behind me to make sure I am not losing strength again.

I have had a VERY fluctuating pattern as well. At the end of December, I was on an upswing, and then went downhill again. Sometimes I will feel like I am getting weaker again, but then it will ok again. Finally this month, things seem to be stabilizing a bit, so about 4 months later.

I am pretty tough and taking limited meds, but I would recommend a low dose of Xanax (.25) to help. I actually had anxiety attacks and crying spells a lot in the beginning and one doctor told me that it was a symptom of the disease, that the neurotransmitters were out of whack. I am a lawyer, so pretty rational I would like to think, so it was very bizarre to me. It starts to level out a bit, but I still take the Xanax in the a.m. before work. When I get up is the worst for me because I have weird sensations, and I still freak out a bit by it.

You definitely sound like you are having a lot of the same symptoms….we definitely have to support each other because I have never experienced anything like this in my life, and people do think you are a little bit crazy! ๐Ÿ™‚ How can you explain what you are feeling??

• Anonymous
      March 29, 2010 at 5:07 pm

Jessica,
      I also lost 25 pounds, which was not the way I wanted to do it. I subsisted on Gatorade, primarily and little else. I could not stand to eat any solid food, because if I did, I would feel completely, painfully full and would have to use milk of magnesia to relieve it. Even then, the relief was minimal. I am quite sure my motility is slower. I have seen a GI, but he has been treating the bacteria more than paying attention to the motility, and he has no experience in seeing nerve problems in the GI from vaccines. I think that is the hardest part, trying to convince doctors that try to lump their experience with what you are feeling, when this vaccine is a completely new entity and they can’t possibly know what will happen. My first neuro also told me it was a mild sensory GBS and then when I had the constipation he was like “that doesn’t happen with GBS, that can’t be it.” Then, I also had urinary problems and facial tics and he kept saying “that’s not like GBS, it must be something else” When i finally responded by saying, “Yes, we know you don’t think it’s GBS, how about finding out what it is?”, he stopped answering my phone calls.
      It really struck me what you said about the mornings. As I go to bed at night, i get these severe anxiety issues that I can’t explain and then when I wake up, my symptoms also are the worst of the day. I start to feel better late morning to early afternoon. I have found that anti-inflammatory meds like Alleve help some with the symptoms. This makes me feel better, because chronic neuropathies usually do not respond to anti-inflammatory treatments.
      I will try some anti anxiety meds which he prescribed for me (Klonapin). I was hesitant to take them originally because one of the side effects is, guess what, CONSTIPATION, so as I thought that the GI stuff was by far the worst part also, I wanted to stay away from that. Maybe a small amount, though. I will let you know if I learn anything more about mine from my docs, as most of my bloodwork so far has been negative (ANA, Rheumatoid, Lyme’s disease, etc…). Hang in there and keep being tough and I hope that eventually all this will be a bad memory for us. I, too, will shy away from every vaccine from here on out.
      All my best,
      Chris

• March 29, 2010 at 5:43 pm

OK you guys, I am going to have to search you guys out and bonk you over the head with a comprehensive stool sample box to check for candida/leaky gut!!! It is so simple, just ask for it. You guys both speak of allergies (cause neurotoxins which leak out of the gut which cause …neuro symptoms!! Get the Elisa test so you can eliminate the allergens that increase inflamatory process in gut and everywhere with their neuro toxin release. Trust me I am NOT sold on this naturopath stuff, there are no side affects listed on the bottles, no contraindications on the bottles, it is scary, but at least the tests can point us in the right direction.

Chris, not that I am glad you were recently sick and felt worse symptom wise, but I have been out of my mind worrying about a relapse for us, only to find out strep, some other virus and my sons good friend who has been w/us every day was sick and now you too confirm that feeling sick made you worse. The funny thing is, we have been at this cidp crap for 3.5 years and each time we are sick with a cold/virus, something different happens. this is the first time there was more than pain tiredness and zaps. This was the first time the heavy legs reemerged. They since seem to have gotten better as he was on the trampoline yesterday and is going to have an airsoft war tomorrow after treatments w/his friends.

You asked what our history is, cidp about 3.5 years ago took about 4-5 weeks for dx, first dx was a psych dx, second charcot marie tooth, third gbs, fourth cidp all of this happened in the 4-5 week period, a time in our life we will probably never forget. Currently we are weaning down from 140grams of ivig monthly (split into 2 week intervals) to starting tomorrow, 30grams per month. So 15 every 2 weeks. We will be off by June if everything holds. Appointment is on Fri. Good Friday,I am praying Jesus will hear me and all of Kevs reflexes will be intact as they were in Dec. If not, I am sure a ncv/emg will follow in the coming days to compare to our last one in June which was near normal. If there is any variance, loading doses will be in order and we start from the begining to find a permanent threshold. I suspect that number will be 70. That is where we held for a long time. I am praying he has been feeling the way he has as of late because of virus as you mentioned. Good luck and keep us posted!

• Anonymous
      March 30, 2010 at 10:24 am

Chris,

I have the same thing, worst in the a.m. and better as the day progresses. I am the best in the evening. I used to actually vomit in the a.m. like morning sickness. Not any more, thank god. I had some urine problems too, urgency issues. They came and went. I hope they are gone now, but don’t know.

I too was afraid to take things to make the constipation worse. Also, a lot of meds cause nausea. I tried Cymbalta, and got blurry vision, vomited, was really nauseous. At that point, I was underweight, so I stopped after one day, even went to the ER. I couldn’t risk losing any more weight. I think that the vaccine really messed up our bodies. I had an MRI last week and boiled up in there and even had a sunburn like rash. They said that noone ever had that reaction unless they had the dye, which I did not.

All of the medical professionals that I have seen have been completely stumped. The University of Chicago neuro actually “got rid of me,” saying that since all my tests were normal, there was nothing more she could do for me and had no explanation for my symptoms. Very frustrating…I just take it one day at a time and focus on the things that have improved…hang in there.

• Anonymous
      March 30, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Jessica,
      What tests did they do besides the MRI? Did they try a nerve biopsy or antibodies against nerves or cells etc… (ANA, anti-ganlioside, anti heparan sulfate). Did they completely rule out CIDP, or just never test for it?

Dawn,
      How did they diagnose your son’s CIDP? Did he have slow symptoms, like us, or was he much more severe with paralysis, etc….Just curious. I know a lot of cases present differently. I don’t think we have candidiasis, as it typically occurs in immune-suppressed people and not often in healthy adults, although at this point I’m not ruling anything out. The simple fact is that it would be weird for it to occur 2 days after the vaccination just out of the blue. I will look into it though.
      Thanks for all the support, guys:)
      All my best to both of you!
      Chris

• Anonymous
      March 30, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Chris,

I had 3 EMG/NCV’s, one in November, one in December and one in January, all normal. I had numerous blood tests to check for autoimmune diseases, antibodies, etc., all normal. I don’t know exactly what all the blood tests were because they did not explain, but I know that they were checking for antibodies, autoimmune, etc.

I had a brain MRI and thoracic/cervical MRI, both normal. I never had the spinal tap and the current neuro has not said anything about this. I think CIDP is diagnosed by the nerve tests and spinal tap. (Dawn can explain). I also had a sweat test and skin biopsy, normal. I have not had the nerve biopsy, but that is invasive and I have heard that it can cause residual numbness, so I would question this if anyone recommended this. I think if your nerve tests were normal then it is probably not CIDP. It seems like it can take a long time for that diagnosis though, years sometimes. But it seems like weakness is a big part of it, not just sensory symptoms.

• Anonymous
      March 30, 2010 at 5:28 pm

Jessica,
      I had head and cervical MRI to rule out MS. Two blood tests for autoimmune markers (some not all). I had one NCV in january that was negative. The disturbing thing that I discovered was that in 50-60% of CIDP cases, all these test can be negative. The one tell all test, which also can be negative on occasion, is the biopsy. It really depends on the degree of demyelination. Often, neurologists rely on a differential diagnosis of putting the person on IvIgG or steroids and if they get better, well then they have CIDP. Pretty lame diagnostic tests, if you ask me.
      In doing some research, I discovered a paper that really caught my attention. Apparently, early trials with a drug that is an analog of an intermediate form of tryptophan, which is used by the body to make both serotonin and melanin, had remarkable results in curing vaccine induced GBS and experimental autoimmune neuritis. Unfortunately, there were some adverse effects in a small sub population of people with MS, so it was stopped, but I know of other compounds that are similar and I wonder if they might be something that might have some benefit to us. I know Resveratrol, the antioxidant in the news so much from the skins of wine grapes, is a potent anti-inflammatory. The issue is that many of these supplements are at doses far below the therapeutic dose. My cousin works with the Professor from Harvard who discovered the compound and he says that they have seen some amazing effects in neuropathy. I might try to find some of these compounds and give them a try. It makes sense to me, because an inflammation can be the result of the insult of the vaccine or underlying nerve inflammations and then when our antibodies against the vaccine (IgGs) begin attacking that same inflammation, it never subsides. It may not be damage to the myelin sheath, it may simply be inflammation that has never been given a chance to subside. If it goes away, so to might the IgG responses to it. We can only hope. OK that is my lame lecture on immunology for the day. I hope that you continue to feel good and lets keep exchanging ideas and updates so we can figure out what is going on with us.

Linomide suppresses experimental autoimmune neuritis in Lewis rats by inhibiting myelin antigen-reactive T and B cell responses

[url]http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/119058339/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0[/url]

Take care,
      Chris

• Anonymous
      March 31, 2010 at 10:46 am

Chris,

Very interesting information….it makes sense about the nerve inflammation. The first neuro told me that I had “nerve inflammation.” I feel like this is the case, that there is something going on continually, and you are right, it is not causing demyelination as far as we know. I actually feel like they are inflamed if that makes any sense, like my arms will feel weird when I scratch them.

Currently, I am having a dizziness/headache problem that started about a week ago. I took a homeopathic remedy so I am not sure if this triggered something else or if this is just a new symptom of what is going on.

I have been considering to Mayo, hoping that maybe they have dealt with vaccine reactions, but have not bit the bullet yet. Keep me posted on what you find out about the drugs. We need something to help us because I don’t want to keep on living with this quality of life. Everyday I am able to function, work, take care of my family, but all the while feeling terrible. My kids are young (2 and 4) so I want to be active with them. I feel like it is a daily struggle just to function, all because of some vaccine. I was completely fine before this….

• Anonymous
      March 31, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Jessica…I will definitely keep you posted. I feel the same way. We need to figure this out. I have three girls, two 13 and one 5, so as much as I try to keep it from them, it affects everyone’s life when I can’t go do as much as I would like. My gauge has been working out at the gym and seeing how fatigued I am or how weak. I haven’t lost any strength, in fact I can lift more than when I started, but as of late, I get more fatigued faster and have to take longer breaks between working out. That is what scares me. I had the dizziness early on, and neuropathy does affect proprioception and balance. I tried some meds and the one that worked the best was a simple antihystamine like non-drowsy benadryl, but that also slows down nerves and can cause digestive issues. It was constant during the hours I was awake, now it comes and goes much less frequently. I am going to see my neuro again on Monday and I am going to push him hard to theorize about what is going on and I will plug him for information about inflammation vs. demyelination. Whatever I learn, I will pass on. Hang tough and keep chatting. It helps me and I hope it helps you. At least we have this to realize that we are not going crazy and it is real.
      All my best,
      Chris

• Anonymous
      March 31, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Chris, yes, this is helping me. Everyone on this forum has been very helpful, but it is nice to know that someone else had a similar reaction to the vaccine. I told my husband yesterday, “See I am not crazy!” ๐Ÿ˜‰ He knows that I am not…but it is nice to be able to tell him that others out there have had similar problems. I have been told I am the only one by all the docs I have seen.

Let me know what your neuro says. I have not had much luck with mine and I am in Chicago, so you would think that Univ of Chicago, Northwestern would know, but nope. We’ll keep trading notes…

• Anonymous
      April 2, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Jessica,
      I had one more question for you. You said that you got so weak that you couldn’t hold up your hairdryer. Was it weakness or that your muscles would get really fatigued? Mine is that I can’t do things for very long without my muscles aching. This includes chewing and I have had some “difficulty” swallowing. More the sensation of my throat and jaw muscles being tired, I would guess. How are you feeling the last few days? I have had a rough few, but I am hoping you are feeling better and are on the way back to normal.
      Cheers,
      Chris

• Anonymous
      April 5, 2010 at 10:28 am

Chris,

My biceps actually got weak and I couldn’t touch my arms behind my head. I am not sure how long it lasted, maybe a week. But I remember having trouble holding my hair dryer and noticing it while carrying a diaper box, which weighs like what, 3 lbs. I was able to carry my daughter, 25 lbs, but I had to use both my arms. My biceps are still weak, and shake sometimes when I push on my arms, like pushups. I do have muscle aches, like a deep one. If I squeeze my muscle, it hurts. That has gotten a little better.

I wanted to ask you, did you get a rash? I got a rash one week after the vaccine, all over my body, and I actually still have it on my stomach, very faintly.

I have had a rough few days as well. I am not sure if it is coincidence, but I took a homeopathic remedy, and have had dizziness, horrible headaches, nausea again, itching for 2 weeks. I went to my normal doc, and he said, maybe it is an allergy. Then I went to the neuro, who said migraines. I have a history of migraines, and these are nothing like what I have had before. Nothing over the counter has been working. I got some prescription that I am going to try. I am taking the Zofran again for the nausea. I had only been taking it occasionally, but now regularly again. It is very frustrating because I feel like this is a setback. I felt like I had been making progress and moving in the right direction, or at least had some sense of control over things. The headaches have thrown a monkey wrench into the whole thing, and even though the muscle pain is better, I would take that over the headaches.

Again, I am pushing myself through all of this, but I had a rough weekend emotionally. Thank god for my husband who props me up, and my kids, who keep me going and make me laugh. Hope you are getting better, hang in there.

Jessica

• Anonymous
      April 5, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Jessica….I am sorry the last days have been rough. I, too, rely heavily on my wife and kids for their support and don’t know how I would do without them around. I saw my neuro today and he explained a lot, because I finally had some good questions to ask him. He said that reactions to vaccines are typically demylinating, but that the level of my and, I assume your, reaction is basically sub-clinical. He has seen cases like this before and true CIDP is usually much worse where one has pronounced weakness and abnormal NCVs. I explained the fatigue and he said clinical fatigue would mean I wouldn’t even be able to life the cell phone or work out, not just get tired from it. He said that insults to the nerves occur in all degrees and in most of the cases that he has seen like ours, it eventually resolves or has minor set-backs. He said this doesn’t completely rule out that it could progress or turn into the chronic relapsing/remitting disease, but he doesn’t think it will be that as this level doesn’t usually turn out that way. So, maybe some good news. He also said he would be very remiss to give things like IV IgG or steroids or other immunosuppresive drugs to a patient at my level, as the side effects of the drugs are often much worse than what the current symptoms seem to be. This made me feel better, but still doesn’t completely get rid of all I am feeling. I guess it will just take time and he said that often it can be months and years before things get back after a neural insult.
      Take care and I hope those headaches subside.
      All my best,
      Chris

• Anonymous
      April 5, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Chris, neural insult? That is a good one. Makes sense though. At least your neuro has tried to give you an explanation which is more than I have received. I guess we should be grateful that things are not worse, or will hopefully not get worse, but being in limbo with no treatment is a bit of torture too. I had been holding out hope that IVIG would help, but have received the same answers, that the side effects are worse.

And I am not patient….like I wanted this gone yesterday. This has really taught me to be more patient, I guess, and my husband keeps saying that I have been doing everything I can and all I can do now is give it time in addition to trying to get answers. He gets this weird cramping pain from time to time and I told him to imagine that it was like that all the time, never going away and nothing that you can take over the counter helps.

I do try to remind myself of the beginning and use that as a benchmark. If I am having a bad day, I try to remind myself that it is better than when I was bedridden and couldn’t eat. Small consolation, I know. I went to the mall in the first month, at Christmastime, and I could hardly walk. I recently went again and was able to walk around for a couple of hours. Still tired, but improvement. I think the improvements are so incremental that you can’t even notice them. That is why I just focus on one day at a time now, because what else can we do. Thanks for the update.

• Anonymous
      April 6, 2010 at 12:15 am

Jessica,
      That is so right. I do the same thing comparing to the early days and it is better in some ways but worse in others, because I never had any muscular involvement until recently. I think everyone now-a-days is impatient and I am, definitely. We are somewhat accustomed to getting over illnesses with a pill or a few days of rest and have to take stock when it is something that takes longer. This experience has taught me that also. It is true that the uncertainty is unnerving, but I think we will mend. Interestingly, the doc also told me that the often in GBS, an NCV test will initially appear normal when a patient is completely paralyzed and then later when recovery begins, will appear abnormal. In the same way, he said that the nerves can often cause pain, fatigue, weakness and other symptoms when they are on the mend from an initial “insult”. You’re right that is a funny term. So, what we might be feeling is our body mending and causing new sensations as things heal up. That is what I am going to try to focus on day to day.
      Hang in there and talk whenever you need it. I hope with time that our issues will get better.
      Take care,
      chris

• Anonymous
      April 6, 2010 at 10:33 am

Hey Chris, I had a thought about your issues with feeling “full” in the initial stages. I think that you had/have gastroparesis, like I do. That is one of the symptoms, early satiety, and a light bulb went off for me yesterday when I was thinking about this. I did not have this symptom so it did not occur to me right away. You may want to google it. It is caused by damage to the vagus nerve. My gastro did an endoscopy and said that mine was “mild” and should improve over time. He believed that it was caused by the GBS. There is not much to do except take Reglan (bad drug, can cause Parkinson like tremors) and some other drugs. I have been researching and there have been trials with Botox that have been successful, but it only lasts for about 6 months and then you have to repeat it. Mine has improved so I just cope with meds (zofran and miralax) for now. Just wanted to pass this on…..

• Anonymous
      April 7, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Jessica…..I am certain that it caused some gastroparesis, also. When I ended up with the concurrent bacterial infection, the docs attributed all the gastric problems to that, but I have had some minor problems since, and I know it is still nerve related. The neuros kept saying “it can’t be the vaccine or GBS, it doesn’t usually present that way”, but I reminded them that this is a new vaccine and that the doctor in my ER said that he had seen an inordinate amount of patients with constipation, bad constipation, following this vaccine. Clearly, the doctors don’t really know when something is new and they should spend more time listening to the patients to help the next one in line instead of disregarding the symptoms. I found that eating a lot of fiber (lots of cooked beans, kidney, black, chili) has helped more than anything and taking probiotics like keifer and Culturelle (a supplement) has kept my stomach with minimal problems (knock on my head, or wood). I saw a GI and he also didn’t really put two and two together and assumed everything was bacterial. It has been 4 months now and it still isn’t completely better and he is starting to put a little more stock in the nerve issue. He gave me Protonix, which is for acid reflux, usually, but works well to soften and stimulate food movement. Also, my neuro gave me Bethanechol which is a little milder than Reglan, but works more on the intestines. So far so good. Thanks for the info and for helping me out. I think as time goes, so will the problems. That is what I hold onto. In the mornings, it is tough because I always feel lousy, but hopefully that will change soon. I also wake up several times a night with tingling hands, drives me nuts.
      Take care and keep on healing.
      Chris

• Anonymous
      April 8, 2010 at 10:52 am

Chris, I will have to take note of those drugs that you are taking for the GI issues. I was taking an acid reflux med and it didn’t seem to be helping, but I was not aware of that other one. Maybe I will have to try that one and start eating more yogurt, etc. My main problem is nausea, and low appetite.

As for the tingling, numbness at night. One thing I have tried is taking 2-3 ibuprofen when I go to bed, and it seems to help. Maybe keeps the inflammation down. Problem is that it can cause GI issues. You might want to try it. I noticed a big change after I started it. Gabapentin is supposed to help too, but I haven’t tried that yet. I don’t like taking a lot of meds, but we need to, to function. Take care.

• April 8, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Jessica, 2 aleve at night helps with inflamation issues. cfraker mentions probiotics, I am telling you this naturopath could help. For instance the stool sample can measure how quickly you bm it can tell if it is a sluggish bowel as opposed to gastroparesis. My father in law had constip problems from the neurotnin and vicodin.

• Anonymous
      April 8, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Jessica…I have been taking ibuprofen and sometimes Alleve and they help a little, but my Doc said that if you are noticing a real effect when taking them, then it might be a good sign because typically true demyelination will not respond to over the counter anti-inflammatory meds. I also was given gabapentin, which I tried a couple of times, but that makes you feel sluggish and will affect negatively the digestive issues as it is a neuro-suppressive agent. That is what I hate about the meds. It seems like I take one to speed up my nerves for the digestive issues, which has the side effect of causing more tingling etc…and then the ones I take for the tingling slows down the digestion. That is why I basically stopped all of them. Sometimes I feel the docs don’t think before prescribing. Why give two meds that cancel out the effects of eachother? ๐Ÿ™‚ I am hoping that time will take it away. Thanks for the tips, though, and the talk. Incidentally, a friend of my Mother’s had the virus, not the shot, and he has had almost identical symptoms to the two of us. So, it appears to be related in my eyes, to the viral matter and not so much other ingedients of the vaccine. We are just a few of the lucky few that have reactions to that material. ๐Ÿ™‚
      Take care,
      Chris

• Anonymous
      April 20, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Ok, I have been moving along here for 5 months now with improvements in some areas and status quo in others. My symptoms tend to fluctuate daily, even hourly.

Yesterday a.m., I woke up with a weird rash all over my body, a new one. One week after the vaccine, I had a rash all over for one week and it went away except for my stomach and chest. This rash is different and hurts when I scratch on it, almost as if I am scratching nerves. It is all over my arms, legs with small and big circles. What is interesting is that my right elbow has always hurt and there are big rash circles on my elbow that are painful. It is like the rash is in all the areas where I have pain and nerve issues. I also have hypersensitivity again, when I was shaving today. I have not eaten anything funny, changed my detergent, etc. My GP was perplexed yesterday, told me to take Benadryl.

Is it possible that because my immune system is out of whack, that my body is reacting to another virus or something? Has anyone had any rashes in relation to GBS/CIDP or any kind of “nerve sores”? I know this is bizarre. Should I even bother telling my neuro about this? I thought it was shingles, but the doctor said that it is only on one side. Because I am one of the few people (aside from Chris) to react to the H1N1 vaccine, NONE of the doctors know what to do with me. They all scratch their heads, hmmm…

• April 20, 2010 at 3:47 pm

ringworm? contact dermatitis? Psoriasis? Something else that comes to mind is sclerodoma, spelling is wrong I am sure. Kevin had rashes in the begining, only to find out it was from the ivig, but I researched sclerodoma and I think I specifically remember red roundish, oval patches that were red and itched. I think there were two kinds, systemic and localized. Try looking it up, it has been about 3 years since I looked it up. Could it be fungal, another of our rashes that I thought might be a lupus rash turned out to be fungal which led me to my systemic fungal search. (Leaky gut and candida) good luck.

• Anonymous
      April 21, 2010 at 10:12 am

Thanks Dawn. I don’t think it is scleredoma. I just looked that up. It does seem to be going away. I have been taking Benadryl and putting hydrocortisone on it. I hope that is a good sign, that it is going away. I just worry about the cause of it because it is abnormal for me. But by the same token, I am not surprised anymore. ;)My GP told me to go to a dermatologist, but I am sooo tired of going to the doctors, who don’t know anything, and just prescribe medicine after medicine. I really wish they could get to the root of these problems. Enough venting for today….

• Anonymous
      April 21, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Jessica…I am sorry for the rash but I am glad to hear that some things are resolving. It is the same for me. My stomach is a problem again, but other things (fatigue) seem to be improving, but as it comes and goes, it could just be a good period. To me, the rash sounds potentially like shingles. The hypersensitivity and the pain are what make me think that. Also, shingles is something that often occurs in conjunction with autoimmune disorders. It, like a lot of disorders, can occur in a wide spectrum of presentation (severe, less severe), but the rash is a hallmark sign. Is your rash everywhere or more “band-like” in specific areas or on one side of your body. These are some of the characteristics. Also, shingles often will turn into blister like spots. I hope it resolves and it sounds like the Benadryl might be helping. How is your fatigue? Any better?
      All my best,
      Chris

• April 21, 2010 at 3:17 pm

caladryl lotion helps with the itching (we used it for chicke pocks 0

• Anonymous
      April 21, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Thanks Dawn and Chris.

Chris,

I thought it was shingles too, but it is all over not just in a band. My GP did not think it was shingles. I am going to give it a few more days and see. I feel ok otherwise. Fatigue is ok, getting better, but there are ups and downs.

My main issue is muscle aches and pains and the headaches. Headaches are temporarily better. I feel like my muscles ache and throb constantly and it makes me feel miserable. Also, I have chronic nausea which ebbs and flows. Still eating ok, so that is good. I just do not feel good, period. The only time I feel the best is like 8-10 p.m. and even then it is still not “normal.” But I keep on going….what else can I do?

Hope you are feeling better. I am amazed that you can work out. I don’t even attempt it since I am so sore all the time. I get a little workout chasing after my kids, so that is enough for now!

• Anonymous
      April 22, 2010 at 10:19 am

Jessica…glad to hear some things are better…Mine is a trail of ups and downs, also. I feel like the fatigue is getting better, but then I went to work out yesterday (nothing like I used to) and I was shaking and weak after. The worst is my stomach which always feels full, so I eat less and am losing weight again and I think this adds to the weakness. I think my fullness is the same symptom as your nausea, we just are expressing nerve problems in that area differently. It comes and goes. I am 6 months out now and I keep hoping, like you, that the docs will find some magic fix it or it will just go away. Just keep hanging on, that’s all we can do. I just turned 40 on Saturday and I was laughing when I was telling my friends I feel like I am 60, like my grandparents when they would talk about all their ailments. “Oh, my legs ache and my stomach is acting up again blah blah” It has some humor, for sure.
      Take care,
      Chris

• Anonymous
      April 22, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Happy 40th Chris!! ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ve got another year and 4 months until then, but I know what you mean about feeling like you are 60. I have felt like that too, actually even older because there are a lot of active, healthy 60-90 year olds!! So maybe we are like 100 year olds…;)

It is so tiring and exhausting..I feel like I am constantly fighting a battle and I don’t even know what I am fighting…Why oh why, did we get this vaccine?? I keep hoping that it will just magically go away too and then I get these new symptoms, which are a setback. I did call the vaccine injury department yesterday and asked about putting in a claim. If you need some info on that, I can let you know. What is funny is that I called a vaccine injury attorney I found on the internet, and they won’t take H1N1 claims because I don’t think the volume or severity is there. Can’t get anyone to help….

Well, hope you celebrated your birthday. I keep telling my husband I want to go on a boat on Lake Michigan…hope he is saving up! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      April 22, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Lake Michigan is beautiful. I have family in Leland (lower peninsula) and we go on the lake frequently during the summer. You will get there and you will be fine when you do. I can feel it. I agree it is discouraging and I would love that info for the vaccine injury hotline because I don’t really feel like all these co-pays and bills should be my responsibility when the pharma company that made my vaccine reported record profits from it the quarter after it was used. Unfortunately, those big companies have iron-clad protection against events like this and I think it wouldn’t be worth the stress and the effect it might have on our bodies. It would really be nice, though, to get a concrete diagnosis or some idea as to when it will go away, if at all. Thanks for the birthday well-wishes and I will be cheering for your trip on the boat. Hang in there and keep playing with the kids to take your mind off of our troubles…that is what I do.
      All my best,
      Chris

• Anonymous
      April 23, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Chris,

The number is 888-275-4772 for the HRSA. The website is [url]http://www.hrsa.gov/countermeasurescomp/how_to_file.htm[/url]. The H1N1 vaccine injuries need to be filed under this program, the Countermeasures Injury Compensation Program, not the Vaccine Injury Compensation program. I spoke with someone yesterday and you just send your info to an address listed on the website. It tells you what to send too. You have one year from the date of the vaccine to file. You don’t need an attorney. I have a legal background, so I’ll just do it myself, but I was hoping to find someone else to help me. The vaccine attorneys get paid by the govt so there is no out of pocket cost to you/us. I may call another firm and I’ll let you know.

I just want my out of pocket/co-pays reimbursed. I figured out that I have been to the doctor about 30 times roughly since November, not to mention all the tests, 2 ER visits, etc. We have Blue Cross/Blue Shield so I am lucky there, but I think we still have like $2000-3000 Out of pocket. I could’ve used that for my new roof that I need, that I now have to take an equity line of credit for. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Hope you have a nice weekend! My son’s 4th birthday party is Saturday so I am looking forward to that. I have to pace myself though, which I am not used to!

• April 23, 2010 at 4:54 pm

Hi Jessica,
      Happy birthday to your son. When is the tonsilectomy/adnoidectomy? Is this the same son? Besides the co-pays, there also is the notion of life time benefit. I do not know what yours is currently, but they do roll them over. For instance, if you are with BCBS now and switch to say Guardian and then go back to BCBS, they resume the tally from where you left off. If you happen to have no lifetime max now, you could at a later date. Obama says he is going to obolish that practice, I will believe it when I see it, not holding my breath. Anyway, maybe that could play into your compensation. Have a great birthday weekend.

• Anonymous
      May 6, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Jessica,
      Hope this post finds you feeling better. I had my NCV yesterday and the gist of it was that there was no evidence of any severe demylination. The doctor was incredibly thorough and knowledgeable and he assured me that this should all pass in time as the F-wave test, which shows conduction to and from the nerve roots along the spine, was really quite normal. I am still having some issues and definitely have gatroparesis as a result of this (loss of autonomic nerve function) but this is probably due to the fact that I am 24 years diabetic and it exacerbated underlying neuropathies that might have taken years more to really show themselves. The real reason I am writing is that if you remember about a month ago I was telling you I was going to try Resveratrol on the recommendation of several immunologists. I ordered a supplement (which was recommended by the scientist who discovered resveratrol, no company affiliation, and with whom my cousin works at Harvard) and although it might be anecdotal and coincide with healing that is already going on, I have seen a marked difference in how I feel after about 4 weeks of taking it. I don’t tingle at all any more, my strength is returning, the fatigue is diminshing (although all of this comes and goes in waves) and I feel generally better. If you are interested in trying it, the product is called Longevinex
      [url]http://www.longevinex.com/[/url]
      I didn’t want to tell you to try it until I had taken it for some time to test it. It is fairly expensive (120.00 for a 4 month supply, 1 capsule a day, so about a dollar a capsule), but it has done the most for how I feel. It is a much more potent anti-inflammatory than naproxen or ibuprofen etc… and I didn’t see any lasting effect with those, just temporary. Remember it falls under the category of nutriceuticals, so it is not FDA regulated, but I researched this one fairly heavily and I have several friends who take it as a regular supplement and have done so much longer than me with no adverse side effects. It is simply a compound found in grape skins (the whole French red wine paradox comes from this). I hope you are feeling better and you are in my thoughts. Let me know if you decide to give this a try and we can compare notes. ๐Ÿ™‚
      Take care,
      Chris

• Anonymous
      May 6, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Your story rips my heart. My heart & prayers go out to U. So sorry your Drs. seem uncaring, unconcerned. I feel that U should be disabled, because the stress of a job is too much. Need a Dr. to disable U. I too was referred around like a hockey puck, morbid depression. I see a shrink, very helpful, U should do likewise if ins. pays for it.
      I agree if a Dr. had it, then sympathy, empathy & more agressive treatment!
      Remember HOPE is eternal!
      Gentle hugs, smitty

• Anonymous
      May 6, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Chris,

I am glad to hear that you are doing better…it gives me hope!! Good news about no demyelination. ๐Ÿ™‚ I have been thinking about how you are doing. I have been MIA for a bit because of my son’s tonsillectomy, and my husband getting sick at the same time. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Did you need a prescription for the Reservatol (sp?) or can you buy this over the counter? I have been thinking about going to a rheumatologist and immunologist. I am done with neuros for now. I would definitely like to look into the supplement that you are taking.

I too have been feeling a bit better, but it is so up and down. That is what is so maddening about it. Yesterday and today, I took some alpha lipoiec acid. I have decided to try some experiments. I am going to try this, then maybe some Sam-E. I have also been thinking about changing my diet to mostly organic or gluten-free. My sister keeps harping on how gluten-free really helps autoimmune disorders. I too have continuing gastro problems, and mostly burning pains, and muscle aches, twitches, etc. Just a general sense of never feeling good. I had a moment the other night where I felt “normal,” but I couldn’t rejoice much because I knew it would be short-lived. I agree with you about the underlying problems. I have been thinking about this too, that because of other issues, I was more susceptible. Just genetics or bad luck, I guess. ๐Ÿ˜‰

We’ve got to stick together to beat this vaccine injury. I keep thinking to myself that I won’t let it “win” or take over my life!

Smitty,

Thanks for your kind words. Some days, I have felt very close to needing to be on disability, but I push on. I actually notice that on the days that I am not working, I get more depressed and feel worse. I think the distraction of working helps me feel better and more focused. It is a daily struggle and challenge, that is for sure. I tried 2 psychologists, one whispered and the other told me to read a book for a distraction. The psychiatrist I saw never called me back after I told her that I had an adverse reaction to Cymbalta. So I have given up on those professionals for now, and am managing on my own. My kids and my husband help me a lot, playing with my kids and hearing their laughter does wonders for me. Thanks for being supportive. This forum also helps me immeasurably. There are a lot of angels on here looking out for everyone else!

Sorry for the long note!

• Anonymous
      May 6, 2010 at 8:40 pm

Jessica….you do not need a prescription. Just order online and it will come within 3 days. I am still feeling pains and twitiches etc….and I agree with you that just continuing to work and carry on keeps me sane, I also get bummed out staying at home where I am hyperaware of every small tingle etc…..I was encouraged by what the doctor said mostly because he was confident that it wouldn’t get worse, only that it might waffle for some time. He said it can take quite a while for inflammations like that to resolve and that with demyelinations, which he feels we both probably had (he was not a big fan of vaccines) it takes some time for the nerves to remyelinate. He said that the typical pattern is that strength returns first, then with a sudden burst, the fatigue will just change one day. That is the pattern he has seen for years in similar insults to the system. I think I find it hard to be patient, but at this point, 6 months later, I have learned patience. As for the stomach issues, it sounds to me like you might have some gastroparesis, also. Nausea is one of the symptoms and burning abdominal pains etc…Today I learned from my endocrinologist that they are using a medicine off-label to treat gastorparesis (which is usually injury to the vagus nerve) with miraculous results. My doctor described a patient that had intractable gastroparesis due to diabetic neuropathy, who was hospitalized for 6 months unable to take anything by mouth with horrible nausea and having to be tube fed. The patient was given one pill daily and within a few days, the gastroparesis had resolved. The patient is now mobile again off of tube feeding and better. This has been the case with 8/8 patients that they have tried this on at our center in Miami. I am going for a gastric emptying study on may 17th qand until then, I am going to stay on my current medication (Bethanechol). After that date, I am going to go on the other med (Lyrica) and then go back for another test to help my docs in their study. They said they might include me as a coauthor and the paper, also, which doesn’t hurt my academic career. Talk to your doc about getting Lyrica. It is typically used for diabetic neuropathy off-label and as an antidepressant, but it has many other uses that are currently under investigation. If you have any trouble, I can put you in touch with my docs and they could explain it to yours. I am confident it will really help.
      Keep moving forward and I feel we will get over this.
      All my best, my vaccine buddy ๐Ÿ™‚
      Chris

• Anonymous
      May 7, 2010 at 10:28 am

Chris,

You are a wealth of information! Thanks.

I noticed that you mentioned an endocrinologist. I had asked my docs if I needed to see one and they said no. I called the endo’s office and they said I needed a referrral. Are you seeing multiple different docs, neuro, endo, rheumatologist, immunologist, gastro? Are they communicating with each other? I went to the gastro and he did the endoscope and then sent me on my way with Miralax. My current neuro, when I went back to him for headaches, said, “Oh, you’re back so soon.” I have not tried the endo, rheumatologist or immunologist and I suspect that I will need referrals. Did your neuro give you the referrals or your primary? That is why I have considered Mayo because I have heard you get all the docs at one time, in one place. Just wondering how you were able to coordinate this. It sounds like your doctors are good and really trying to help you. The only ones I feel like have been caring have been my primary ones.

I am encouraged by what your doctor has been telling you, that it should resolve. I feel like I have small improvements, if I compare to a few months ago, but I am still nowhere near where I would like to be, 6 months out.

Jessica

• Anonymous
      May 7, 2010 at 2:44 pm

jessica…sorry, I should have clarified. I go to an endocrinologist because I am a Type 1 insulin dependent diabetic. Gastroparesis is a common side effect of diabetes as are all peripheral neuropathies (thus the idea of my underlying conditions being affected by the vaccine). She referred me to the gastro and she is also doing the study in conjunction with other endos on the Lyrica…..as they commonly see lots of gastroparesis and send the patients to gastroenterologists for treatment. I have only been to the gastro and the neuro for my vaccine issues. I went to a general practitioner to rule out things like rheumatoid and other conditions (like neurosyphilis, HIV, myasthenia gravis etc…all conditions with neuro possibilities, but I wasn’t expecting any of those to appear). I don’t think you need to see an endo, but one of the conditions that can cause neuro issues is realted to the thyroid so it might not hurt to have your general doctor screen thyroid hormones etc….and vitamins, as well, like vitamin D, serum potassium, calcium and magnesium. Maybe some of your fatigue etc….is related to the eating problems and might be nutrition related.
      Keep on fighting it, I know we will beat it in the end.
      Cheers and have a great week-end.
      Chris

• Anonymous
      May 7, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Thanks Chris. I did have my thyroid checked and it was ok. I made an appt with a rheumatologist and am going to try this angle. I don’t know if it is coincidence, but I have taken the alpha lipoic acid for 3 days now, and my aches and pains have been better. I am going to stick with that for now and check out the other one you recommended.

Hope you have a nice weekend! I am looking forward to celebrating Mother’s Day! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      June 2, 2010 at 8:20 am

Jessica,
      Sorry I didn’t get to wish you a happy Mother’s Day. Hope it was great. I was just writing to say “hey” and check in and see how you are doing. Let me know how goes the battle. ๐Ÿ™‚
      Take Care,
      Chris

• Anonymous
      June 2, 2010 at 10:58 am

Chris,

I was just thinking about you recently too and wondering if you were checking this site. I am going to send you a Private Message.(top right is the link). The saga continues with ups and downs. One day at a time, right? I had a wonderful Mother’s Day…thanks!