Getting gbs/cidp covered by the vaccine compensation fund

• Anonymous
      October 3, 2010 at 8:21 pm

In November 2008 my mother received a seasonal flu vaccine. Shortly after she got very sick and was ultimately diagnosed with a severe variant of GBS and also had a stroke during GBS treatment (IVIG). The neurologists told us that without a doubt, both were the result of the vaccine. Two years later my mom still cannot function, stand, sit up or feed herself and she suffered vision loss due to the stroke. She had previously been a healthy 65 year old college nursing instructor who had never heard of GBS, much less this type of reaction to a vaccine.

There were 7 other patients at the same hospital with serious neurological disease including GBS from flu vaccines in the NeuroICU at the same time as my mother. This is MUCH more common than the medical community or CDC is willing to admit. The statistics only come from the number of cases reported. Only one of the 8 cases were ever reported to the CDC – my mother’s because I did it.

I have been involved in correspondence with the Chief Master of the Vaccine Compensation Fund to try to have GBS and related disorders added to the list of tabled (therefore covered by the fund) illnesses. If a disorder is not on the table, it is not compensated, whether or not it was vaccine caused. The Chief Master has been very receptive.

I am mounting a campaign to not only get the illness covered but also to educate the Vaccine court, CDC, Government, the Medical Community and the general public about the possibility and impact of getting a neurological disorder from immunizations. I am asking for people to send me an email with their name, their town and city and also their story if they wish, especially people who were injured by vaccines. I am going to send in the names in the form of a petition. I am attending the conference in Pennsylvania and hope to get a positive response. I encourage you to contact me and also send this message to anyone you know involved in or interested in this issue. Thank you.

Katie Beecher katherinebeecher@gmail.com

• Anonymous
      December 15, 2010 at 1:18 pm

I was immunized for Yellow Fever in 2008…and several days later my feet went numb..I was subsequently diagnosed with CIDP…My residence at the time was in Manchester, Vermont..I was immunized at Bennington Hospital. Dr.Latov, my NYC neuro, thought the vaccination was a possible culprit. I am not a rabid anti-vaccine type…but perhaps the incremental insult to the immune system is just too much for some of us…my condition is still “severe” and I am now doing prednisone, after unsuccessfully doing IVIG for 4 months.

• Anonymous
      December 16, 2010 at 7:52 am

Good luck with your mission. I think you are going to be fighting an uphill battle on this, but its cause is worthy. You can google all sorts of testimonials from people having adverse reactions on you tube. Coincidence?
      I also think the people regulating the fund are sympathetic, but beauracracy and rules require more than a maybe regarding gbs, and hence is flawed. B.T.W. It is (GBS) listed on the application, but is hidden under the heading of something like “other causes”. Can’t remember the exact title.