GBS Update – 45 days

• Anonymous
      November 2, 2010 at 9:45 am

Hey everyone,

My wife was diasnosed on 9/20 and went all the way down to being on a vent and totally paralyzed. She was on the vent for 6 days and we were dischareged from the hospital on 10/22 exactly 2 weeks after she got off of the vent. When we were discharged, she was able to walk with a walker pretty well.

Now, she is not using a walker or a cane though her legs look a little funny when she walks. She can do pretty much anything on her own as long as it doesn’t require a lot of strength…like trying to carry one of our kids or opening a tightly shut lid. The feeling in her feet and hands is still dull but it seems slightly better. Overall the progress has been amazing.

Thanks for your support!

• Anonymous
      November 2, 2010 at 5:41 pm

Great th hear that she and you are doing well. Healing is slow but steady and a series of baby steps. It also help to have the support of loving people around you. Keep us posted
      Harryb

• November 3, 2010 at 7:12 pm

right on necer….stay positive, hope the road is short…all things must pass

• Anonymous
      November 3, 2010 at 11:54 pm

Yes, your wife’s recovery seems to be nothing short of amazing! What a short time to spend on the vent, & walking that well already? I see from your profile that she is only 25, I do think that age has a lot to do with recovery. Soon, she will forget (almost) that he ever even had GBS…

• Anonymous
      November 4, 2010 at 7:35 pm

Outstanding Justin!

Her brain is still re connecting with all the nerves that got interrupted. As she progresses (fast I bet) her gait will get better and pretty soon you won’t even be able to tell.
      If she’s like me her reflexes (you know when they bonk your knee with a rubber hammer?) are gone and may not return. I thought no big deal until I started running for the first time. It was a little dicey so have her be careful there.
      Now’s the time to start adding goals. A little trip here. A weekend there. Maybe salsa dancing lessons!
      Cheers!
      Johnny Mac

• Anonymous
      November 5, 2010 at 9:40 am

Johnny,

She have very limited reflexes to begin with…but your are probably right and they won’t come back. She is a jogger so in a few months we will see how the joggin goes.

As for salsa dancing…I think I will have the disadvantage there.

• Anonymous
      November 6, 2010 at 11:27 am

I am so happy for you and your wife as she is advancing so quickly!

Many GBS’ers have long slow recoveries…..it is refreshing to hear of your wife’s quick recovery. Being an athlete will be an advantage……..I too am a runner….have had about 3 start-ups since my GBS in March ’09…..this one is going to take I think……..one needs to be very patient……my advice…”test and rest”……when it seems right she will test her abilities……but always provide plenty of rest. And don’t get caught up on the “I used to be able to run a lot faster beat me down mentality”……revel in each small victory and in time things will get better. As regards the reflexes..it is case by case….my last visit with my neuro in September was promising…..all but one of my reflexes has returned…very confident that everything will be back by next visit.

Wishing your wife continued good progress……….