GBS Relapse

• July 28, 2013 at 12:56 am

I had a mild relapse of GBS at the beginning of July 2013. I have been out of the hospital for 3 days. My first attack was in August of 2001. The docs caught it quickly and it stopped at my waist. I was in the hospital for 2.5 months. This relapse came on weirdly and went away just as weirdly. The top of my right foot started hurting on Tuesday and I went to the ER on Friday when the pain transferred to my left foot. I was diagnosed with cellulitis and given an antibiotic and pain med prescription and sent home. Went back to the ER on Saturday when the pain got worse. Same ER doc, same diagnosis. GBS was not on my mind. On Monday, I slept all day and woke up loopy. My BFF was in town (thank God) and when she got back from her business meeting, I could barely walk (with a walker) and I don’t know how I got the door open! Once she got in, all I remember saying was, “I think the Guillain-Barre is back…call 911.” She did. In the ER, they gave me some IV antibiotics and an IV steroid. Whatever it was, it worked! I was on the “regular” floor for a week and rehab for a week and a half. I’m back on Neurontin, 200 mgs 3 times a day. Walking on the walker. Moving slowly and carefully but walking…which is amazing! All of the docs were amazed by my recovery with no major intervention. Has anyone else had a relapse? If so, was it mild or just the same as the first or worse? Thanks!