GBS-MFV twice in less than 3 years

• Anonymous
      November 5, 2007 at 5:29 pm

Hi, I’m new to the discussion boards but I had a question I was hoping someone might know how to answer. In 2002 when I was only 22, I had the beginning symptoms of GBS (mouth sensitivity to cold and pain in my fingers and toes from cold with a bit of numbness). I had no idea what the symptoms were for and they went away within a week without getting any worse before I could be diagnosed with anything. Two years later in 2004 I started to get the same symptoms and was alarmed again and this time it got much worse within a few days with the numbness travelling up my legs and arms and double vision and extreme fatigue. When my family doctor and the emergency room doctor were stumped I finally got into see a neurologist who diagnosed me with GBS-MFV after lots of contemplation of my symptoms. I had nerve conduction and a spinal tap. Luckily after about of week I started to heal without having to be hospitalized and only mild effects that lingered for a couple months such as numbness in my finger tips and toes, dialated pupils and some fatigue. My neurologist thinks that I recovered quickly due to my young age and physical fitness.
      I’m wondering if it is normal to have GBS with that kind of frequency. I haven’t had any symptoms since but I fear that since it was much worse the second time, if I get it again it’ll be even more severe. Does anyone have any information that could help me with this?

Thanks and stay strong.

• Anonymous
      November 5, 2007 at 10:13 pm

hi & welcome,

3% of gbsers will have another attack. i doubt info exists that answers your ques. since you’ve had it twice you might see if your neuro is agreeable to Rxing ivig immediately if you get it again. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength