GBS diagnosis 2 weeks ago, was doing fine, now throwing up?

• February 16, 2019 at 8:03 pm

Hi everyone. I am new to the forum. My daughter was diagnosed with GPS 2 weeks ago. She was in the hospital for a week, then was doing really good, getting stronger, walking by herself, pain was getting less. Then she went back to daycare. This week, she was great all week and her walking excellent.
      Today, she woke up and threw up and not feeling well. She threw up a few more times. Is this just a bug or does this happen even when you are trying to get better after being diagnosed? Any information would be greatly appreciated. She is 3 years old.

• GH
      February 18, 2019 at 11:53 pm

I’ve never heard of that being caused by GBS. The main thing is to monitor strength. A temporary weakness from an ordinary illness should not be confused with persistent weakness from nerve damage.

• June 12, 2020 at 6:34 am

Hi Cori Puma

No, GBS doesn’t cause nausea. The medication might, but not the disease itself.

First of all, you need to be aware, that GBS is an autoimmune disease.
      So every kind of infection, illnes, virus or what so ever, can trigger the sympthoms again and again.
      Back when I got diagnosed with GBS with the age of 11y, my doctors kept me on antibiothics for as long as my body was stable again, to avoid any infections.

I had GBS 18y ago and got diagnosed with CIDP half a year ago.
      I know that I have to watch out. Less is more. Don’t force her or yourself to get her back on track by a 100% as soon as possible. This disease cause is rooted deeply and needs time to recover.
      I was even suspended from sports during first and middle school, since physical exercise can trigger a relapse in early states.
      I know this is easier said than done when it comes to children but as my mother used to tell me back then “the calmer you are, the quicker it will go away”.

If you should have any further questions, don’t hesitate to contact me.