GBS Benefits…

• Anonymous
      May 12, 2007 at 12:51 am

Hi everyone, I was wondering what benefits, and or governmental aid are we entitled to if we have been diagnosed with GBS?
      And if so, how did you go about applying for such aid.
      Thanks.

• Anonymous
      May 12, 2007 at 8:40 am

Many companies/cities/states have disability insurance that will start after a specified time period.

SSDI — Social Security Disability insurance is also available. There is some information on this site. Do a search for SSDI or Social Security to access some of this information or go to the Social Security Web site.

Application is different for each and I do not have the experience to address the process.

• Anonymous
      May 12, 2007 at 11:29 am

To apply for Social Security Disabilty you have to have your Dr. say that you will be disabled for 1 year or more, that’s the start. You will have to call Social Security and apply for SSD. You can tell them you want to answer their questions over the phone if you cannot get to a Social Security office.
      Then they will send you paperwork to fill out and also they will send paperwork to your Dr to fill out. It’s a long process and you must be out of work for 6 months before you can file for SSD. If they grant you disabilty you would get your money retroactive from the first day you filed for it.

Hope that helped.:)

• Anonymous
      May 13, 2007 at 12:05 am

The easiest way to see what’s available and also to get help is to see a social worker at your hospital.

Jerimy

• May 13, 2007 at 9:36 pm

so what constitutes disability? There are days that I am a mess with weakness, fatigue, some pain and can barely do the dishes let alone think of working outside of home. since I have been a mom for so long and work at home would I qualify? or would they laugh at me?

• Anonymous
      May 14, 2007 at 8:19 am

The social security website is: [url]http://www.socialsecurity.gov/[/url]

There are booklets you can download which explains their definition of disability and the work requirements to be eligible for disability benefits. They are even written in plain english so they are easy to understand! I know the applicacation process is long and tedious. I have applied and I did my application on line. I applied at the end of March so I am still waiting. They have 5 months to make a decision. My work disability required me to apply.