GBS and shingles

• Anonymous
      February 21, 2007 at 2:41 pm

I have been feeling terrible the past few days. Bad headache, numbness in my face, and some blind spots in my sight…called the ambulance and went to the hospital…My wife and I feared the worse…a stroke…tests came back negative. Symptoms continued and today my doctor diagnosed me with shingles…they are right behind my right ear. Doctor said they will be painful and that the numbness and blind spots can come from this. He also said people that have auto immune illnesses are very vulnerable to this. I am thankful that I have a sharp GP for a doctor!

What next?

Danny

• Anonymous
      February 21, 2007 at 2:49 pm

And on top of all that, they have a new vaccine for shingles but won’t give it to me because of my history with GBS. Can’t win for loosing. Jeff

• Anonymous
      February 21, 2007 at 2:51 pm

Well…they have put me on massive doses of Valtrex and pain medication…I just hope this gets over with in a hurry…

• Anonymous
      February 21, 2007 at 4:38 pm

Danny,

I get cold sores – the herpes variety – I understand it is the same virus as shingles. Yes, very painful and I can only imagine what the nerve neuropathy must feel like behind the ears. OUCH!

Hang in there and get yourself well soon ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      February 21, 2007 at 6:02 pm

Chrissy,

Yes I have been told that too. I was told I had shingles, and they flip flop between calling it shingles and a cold sore (herpes variety). When I asked about this, they told me it was one and the same thing. Its extremely painful and effects mainly my left hand, arm and underarm – those are the very painful parts, but it doesn sometimes spread through my left hand side. My meds for it is VERY good, as long as I take it when I start feeling it come on.

• Anonymous
      February 21, 2007 at 11:08 pm

I have had shingles also. Mine were on my back and spread upwards towards my left cheek. They were so painful I couldn’t put a shirt on for 2 weeks. Felt like needles. I see so many similarities in so many peoples symptoms and previous possible triggers. This gets more confusing by the day to me.:confused:

• Anonymous
      February 22, 2007 at 12:44 am

Shingles were here too!I had them on my right side and lower back a couple of years ago.Very painful…

• Anonymous
      February 22, 2007 at 7:13 am

Thank you all sooooooo much, really!!!! What a coincidence……..

I have Shingles as we speak, and before I went to the Dermatologist, I thought….. “Now What”??? Mine is behind my right ear and neck, as well……..and the pain????? My Goodness…………I feel better now, as time and the creams, (I guess), are working. At least, I can sleep now……without waking up with what feels like a burning iron behind my neck and ear. Again, thank you all (GBS family):) , for sharing this seemingly, common experience.

Take care, and love ya’ll,

Per

• Anonymous
      February 22, 2007 at 8:57 am

Yeah…this whole thing and experience pretty well sucks…itches…burns…and causes partial blindness. BTW, Perry, I live in Burleson.

Danny

• Anonymous
      February 22, 2007 at 11:58 am

Wow, am I glad that you brought this up. About 5 months post GBS I had an incredibly painful case of herpes. I was off work three weeks. It was more painful than the GBS!! I figured it was auto-immune related. Not something I want to repeat. Mine were in my anal region, including inside my rectum. Oh OUCH!!!

• Anonymous
      February 22, 2007 at 10:56 pm

Years ago I backpacked through Europe alone…..10 countries from Spain up to Norway. My pack was stolen in Nice, France after the first week and I had 5 weeks left. When I got home, I broke out in Shingles. The dermatologist told me I had FLEAS! I told him fleas weren’t that smart to follow a day to day pattern going from behind my ear to my chest and then to the other side of the chest and back up to the other ear. He gave me a prescription for flea powder. Can you imagine???? I later found out it was Shingles. I looked it up in my vitamin books and they said to take Vitamin C. I got rid of it in 2 days. All of the people whom I have helped since then have gotten rid of them as easily as I did. So skip the creams and the pain. If the shingles don’t leave, then you are not taking enough. Simple.
      As for herpes, yes, vitamin C will work for that also BUT lysine is needed. I have been blessed not to get cold sores or other herpes infections, but a friend who went to leading doctors in NYNY with no avail, was helped by the lysine. People are amazed that it is so easy.

• Anonymous
      February 23, 2007 at 5:07 am

Danny,

………”Yeah…this whole thing and experience pretty well sucks…itches…burns…and causes partial blindness. BTW, Perry, I live in Burleson.”,,,…….

NO WAY!!!:) ๐Ÿ™‚ Cool……..these kinds of experiences, that we ALL have, just continues to show how small the world really is, ya know??? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Can I email or PM you, Danny??

Perry

• Anonymous
      February 23, 2007 at 7:41 am

herpes came out here too, about one month after the GBS attack. The plasmapheresis takes all the good antibodies suppressing the herpes out of your system, making more vulnerable for outbreak. Very painful and annoying I agree!!