GBS and Shingles shot

• Anonymous
      May 21, 2008 at 7:11 pm

Has anyone ever heard that one cannot get the ‘Shingles’ shot if you have had GBS because of uncertainty of it’s reaction to someone that has had an autoimmune type illness?

thanks

• Anonymous
      May 21, 2008 at 7:18 pm

Hi: My doc refused to give me this shot because of GBS. She considered it too much of a risk. Jeff

• Anonymous
      May 21, 2008 at 8:42 pm

When I got GBS the first time, I was moving to Tampa and asked my wonderful wholistic doctor if I should get a tetanus shot. He said NO and if I ever needed it to get the more expensive one. There are two kinds and right now I cannot remember – thank you, GBS! IS one made from horses and the other one is made differently?? JUst thought I would throw that in.

• Anonymous
      May 22, 2008 at 1:38 am

Check out “Chicken Pox Vaccine” thread.

• Anonymous
      May 22, 2008 at 4:36 pm

[SIZE=”4″]My MD said that I was not to recieve any more vaccinations of any kind. No Flu, Pneumonia, Hepatitis, None at all. That is could possibly make my symptoms worse.[/SIZE]

• Anonymous
      May 22, 2008 at 5:59 pm

Some people should not get shingles vaccine or should wait.
      A person should not get shingles vaccine who:

has ever had a life-threatening allergic reaction to gelatin, the antibiotic neomycin, or any other component of shingles vaccine. Tell your doctor if you have any severe allergies.

has a weakened immune system because of:

HIV AIDS or another disease that affects the immune system,
      treatment with drugs that affect the immune system, such as steroids,
      cancer treatment such as radiation or chemotherapy,
      a history of cancer affecting the bone marrow or lymphatic system, such as leukemia or lymphoma,
      has active, untreated tuberculosis,
      is pregnant, or might be pregnant. Women should not become pregnant until at least three months after getting shingles vaccine.
      Someone with a minor illness, such as a cold, may be vaccinated. But anyone who is moderately or severely ill should usually wait until they recover before getting the vaccine. This includes anyone with a temperature of 101 point 3 degrees Fahrenheit or higher.

Cut and paste the following link for the entire document.
      [url]http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/vis/downloads/vis-shingles.pdf[/url]

• Anonymous
      May 22, 2008 at 9:32 pm

I would think that a shingles shot is not necessary. I got a case of shingles after I backpacked alone through 10 countries in Europe for six weeks. They stole my pack in Nice, France after the first week so I did the rest with a large handbag. The stress brought on shingles when I got home. I took Vitamin C and they were gone in a few days. Friends of mine have followed this and had the same good results that I did. The vitamin C supports the white blood cells and they fight the virus. Simple. So why bother with getting a shingles vaccine.