GBS and high blood pressure

• Anonymous
      June 25, 2006 at 6:39 pm

I am in the hospital and was told I have GBS but a mild case My blood pressure will not go down and one doctor said it was caused by GBS and my PCP said that could not cause it. Has anyone had a blood pressure issue with GBS????

• Anonymous
      June 25, 2006 at 6:50 pm

Hi,

I recall somewhere else on the forum reading about someone who seemed to have the same problem. So many posts out there, i think it would be hard to find it. Knowing this forum, im sure there are a few people who will help with an answer.
      Welcome to the forums! 🙂

• Anonymous
      June 25, 2006 at 7:16 pm

I was one of the ones where the GBS affected my heart. I had an arrythmia to the point that if they turned me on my left side, my heart would stop beating. Yes, the GBS can effect your blood pressure. Mine was up due to the meds for the arrythmia and who knows what else. Now, mine tends to run on the low end of the normal scale.

Tonya Correll

• Anonymous
      June 25, 2006 at 7:19 pm

Dear Abernthaler:

GBS generally attacks all peripheral nerves simultaneously. Some nerves control heart rate and vascular constriction which in turn has an affect on blood pressure. GBS can cause either low or high blood pressure.

Perhaps your PCP was taking the safest approach in assuming GBS is not the primary cause of your high blood pressure. If you take the approach that GBS is the cause of high blood pressure, then it may be possible that you are overlooking a potentially life threatening problem. I would hope to have a doctor who is overly vigilant, as opposed to reckless indifference.

Lee

• Anonymous
      June 25, 2006 at 7:44 pm

While I was in the beginning stages of CIDP and in the hospital, I also had irregular/rapid heartbeat and pulse. Also my temperature would fluctuate. I was told by my Neuro this was caused by my CIDP and sure enough once IVIG was given and things got under control that went away. I can’t recall exactly but I believe they also gave me a drug of some kind to help with the rapid heartbeat.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      June 26, 2006 at 3:19 am

Hi
      Yes, I faced the same problem & I took medicined for controling Blood Pressure for almost 2 yrs after the onset, but now my Blood Pressure is normal & I am not taking any medicines.
      My doctors also told me the same thging, that some patients face High BP problem in GBS.

So I dont think it is uncommon.

All the Best
      Pravesh

• Anonymous
      June 26, 2006 at 2:09 pm

[COLOR=”Red”]While in the hospital my blood pressure was all over the place. (never had a problem before) Now I have develope high blood pressure. (almost thirteen years later) Was it cause by GBS? Maybe? Could GBS made it worse? Could have? But, I also have a family history of high blood pressure. So, who knows. I am on medication for it. I was taking two, now I’m done to one. Hopefully by end of this year NO MORE![/COLOR]

QueenDuchess
      aka
      Jennifer

• Anonymous
      June 26, 2006 at 2:59 pm

I’ve always had really low blood pressure, but for the first 2 or 3 weeks after onset, my BP was all over the place. Very high one minute, and very low the next. My doctor said is was common with GBS patients, because the GBS messes with your autonomic nervous system. I believe the term was “disautonomia”? For the same reason, I also felt freezing cold one minute and burning hot the next, but my body temperature would never move from about 97*. I guess it’s just the nerves acting goofy. So no, you’re not going crazy if it happens.

• Anonymous
      June 26, 2006 at 3:46 pm

i had borderline high blood presure before gbs. during my attacks, my pressure skyrockets. while i’m sleeping my pressure drops dangerously low and always makes the nurses jump and run into my room to check on me. even now between my events my pressure will go up with the pain and fatigue levels and go low while i sleep. take care.:)

• June 26, 2006 at 8:16 pm

It seems blood pressure is one of those “growing” pains – as in older. My blood pressure was noted to be “dangerously” high at arthroscopic knee surgery about four years ago. Medication has it under control and while in hospital with GBS last year there was no noticable change, other than when I didn’t get the meds. GBS is so variable I’d not want to say it doesn’t cause high blood pressure, but it may not have been noticed before.
      Al

• Anonymous
      June 30, 2006 at 9:46 pm

Since GBS I have had iratic blood pressure and pulse rate. Sometimes high, sometimes low, other times normal.

• Anonymous
      July 3, 2006 at 3:37 pm

Yes I did not have High Blood Pressure, but gbs sent mine sky high and they had a hard time controlling it. At one time I was taking 5 blood pressures pills a day I am on 1 now and a very low dose.

18 months

• Anonymous
      July 9, 2006 at 7:19 am

Hi–yes GBS can affect BP and heart rate. I needed ramipril while in hospital as well as a low dose (5mg daily) for a month or so after getting back home. The heart rate stayed high(90-100 or so) for a couple of months but slowly returned to normal, in fact both BP and heart rate eventually dropped to what I consider below normal for myself. BP was high normal before GBS and now is normal. I don’t know if that’s good or bad but I’m more comfortable mentally with a BP on the lower end of normal.
      Ray

• Anonymous
      July 9, 2006 at 12:00 pm

Yes, to this day, when I am “more fatigued” (not practicing good energy management, as Lee would say!) my blood pressure is higher than usual. But on the days that I take care of myself, I’m normal :rolleyes: The medical community still doesn’t recognize many things that this disease does. And some things we just don’t know about ~ yet. Guess where the best studies come from ~ the patients themselves!!

• Anonymous
      July 13, 2006 at 11:57 pm

My son Nate was 28 last December when he was diagnosed with GBS.
      His blood pressure went way high. They had a real hard time getting it down.
      It stayed high for about 3 mos then just started getting lower and low enough that they took him off the meds.
      It has been ok since then.
      Hypertension runs in my family and Nates’s dads family too.
      Hopefully he won’t have problem with it later.