Fundraising Events???

• Anonymous
      September 11, 2006 at 4:29 pm

hello all,
      I am new to the forum and thought I would ask around and see if anyone knows of some fundraising events in the states. My mom was diagnosed with gbs april of 2004 and has been doing well on her road to recovery. I recently started running 5K’s,10K’s and half marathons and thought it would be such an fantastic feeling to do a run that benefits research of gbs so someday someone wont have to go through what my mom and whole family has. If anyone knows of any events I would greatly appreciate any information ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ˜€

• Anonymous
      September 11, 2006 at 5:17 pm

hi sunkissed, neat ideas! the people to contact would be the foundation, the number is on the front page of this site. hi to your mom.:)

• Anonymous
      September 11, 2006 at 6:22 pm

Walk-a-thons would be a good idea too, then an event would be open to people who use canes, walkers and wheelchairs. I think you would have to put something together yourself and this foundation would be a great place to donate the proceeds.

If you can put some money into it and take a personal loss, you could order bracelets or bumper stickers, that appeal for a cure for GBS/CIDP. You cannot use the blue/white tiles which are the foundation logo as part of design. And again, proceeds should go to GBS/CIDP Foundation. If this appeals to you, just search for web sites that make bracelets.

• Anonymous
      September 12, 2006 at 11:20 am

thanks for the ideas. I am going to do a lot of research and find out what is the best way to get something started. ๐Ÿ˜€

Fundraising events?

• Anonymous
      September 11, 2006 at 12:25 am

hello all,
      I am new to the forum and thought I would ask around and see if anyone knows of some fundraising events in the states. My mom was diagnosed with gbs april of 2004 and has been doing well on her road to recovery. I recently started running 5K’s,10K’s and half marathons and thought it would be such an fantastic feeling to do a run that benefits research of gbs so someday someone wont have to go through what my mom and whole family has. If anyone knows of any events I would greatly appreciate any information ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ˜€

• Anonymous
      December 4, 2006 at 4:49 pm

[COLOR=blue]I have looked for something like that as well. I haven’t seen anything or know of any group that would be willing to do something of that nature.[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=#0000ff]Good luck in any case.[/COLOR]

• Anonymous
      December 4, 2006 at 9:48 pm

Sunkissed,

The daughter of a friend of mine was having a 30th birthday party, so she decided to turn it into a fund raiser for GBS.

She held it in a rented party room at a local restaurant, sent invitations explaining what the party was for, and requested that people make donations to GBSFI, instead of giving birthday gifts to her.

I thought this was a really creative and generous way to do some fund raising for GBS.

Suzanne

• Anonymous
      December 4, 2006 at 11:09 pm

Suzy Q,

That is very generous, and a fantastic idea. I think the walk-a-thon at the symposium was to raise money.
      Also, I wanted to mention that the foundation works extremely hard at getting grants, sponsorship, donations etc to raise money for research. Maybe your local liaison has some information.

• Anonymous
      December 9, 2006 at 10:54 pm

As a liaison in Chicago, I know the foundation would like us, the liaisons, to organize local walk-a-thons in May to commemorate GBS/CIDP awareness month. I really need to find out how to do something like that here.

Shannon

• Anonymous
      December 10, 2006 at 2:54 pm

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=darkorchid]Marge’s memorial read, instead of flowers, donations to GBS/CIDPFI would be appreciated. Right to the end, GBS/CIDP will benefit because of our Marge![/COLOR][/FONT]
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=darkorchid][/COLOR][/FONT]
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=darkorchid]Like Shannon, I would LOVE to find out about the ‘ins-&-outs’ of having a benefit run in May of next year. Before my GBS, I was a 5K runner & was, at that time, training to run a half-marathon in the fall of 2000. I would imagine recruiting sponsors is the main thing to do. Besides giving each runner a GBS/CIDP hat, I wonder if it would be possible to give runners, who collect between $50 – $75, a free GBS/CIDP t-shirt. Most runs I have been in have t-shirts as incentive and they list the sponsors who contributed on the t-shirt.[/COLOR][/FONT]
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=darkorchid][/COLOR][/FONT]
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=darkorchid]Now is the time to begin setting up GBS/CIDP events.[/COLOR][/FONT]

• Anonymous
      January 6, 2007 at 10:29 pm

I am also new to the forum, my 8 year old son has CIDP 2 years ago, I think a walk a thon would be great to get the word out about GBS and CIDP, there are not to many people that have even heard of either, I know I didn’t until he was diagnose. I would be very intrested in some kind of fundraiser.
      Wendy

• Anonymous
      January 7, 2007 at 1:02 am

With the help of the staff it would not be hard to get some sponsorship from corporations to have a t shirt pinted out with the GBSFI logo on the front…the date and the name of the event! On the back you could list all the corporations that contributed. Some would be able to donate things for in a goodie bag for people to use. Rubber twist pads for opening up jars or large grip pens for the handicap fingers! They are always looking for ideas and some already have health items they donate for things like this. I have received many many goodie bags and any thing is appreciated! I have had bottles water companies supply each participant with a bottle of water. Some of the local bagel companies donate treats for all the participants. They all have their favorite way of contributing in some way…..some just like to pay toward the t shirts or some like to pay for the printing. Break it down any way, but it all adds up to success! Hospitals and pharmicutial companies like to get their names out there. Hospital equipment companies! Some have a budget and some are delighted to help out and you don’t have to beg! Even a note pad or calendar with their logo on it gets them advertisement! Just start early so they can figure your event in their budgets! Some need more notice than others! Might be too late for some of them this year but not for next year! Even a small donation can become a door prize! Just make sure you give them credit for their donations! Besure to check with your local laws to make sure you can offer raffles, 50/50 drawings and if you need a permit to use a grove at the local park or if you need to have police for the number of people you expect or need them to close certain roads…some make you have an ambulance for groups or events like this too! Thanks for the reminder that May is the Month!

• Anonymous
      March 2, 2007 at 2:55 pm

Hello:

Although the Foundation has held walk-a-thons in the past, this year we are encouraging all liaisons to organize a one-mile walk in May called “A Miracle Mile – Because We Can.” Please check with your liaison to see if one if being organized in your area.

If none is being organized and you are serious about holding a walk, please contact me for a manual with suggestions and things to think about (email me at [email]b.katzman@gbs-cidp.org[/email]). All liaisons have received one of these manuals. The liaison (or organizer) who submits the most money from the walk will get to go to the next symposium for free.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Barbara Katzman
      GBS/CIDP Foundation International