Full Recovery!

• Anonymous
      February 9, 2008 at 6:11 pm

I’ve read on this forum off and on for the past year and a half, and decided I had to post our story. Our son was diagnosed w/GBS Sept of 2006, he was 17 at the time.Thankfully, he was diagnosed early, probably within 3 weeks or so of the onset. He was begining his Jr. year of football, looking forward to the season since he was a projected 2-way starter. He loves the game of football more than anything, and was hoping to stir up some college scouting interest, as the Jr. year of playing time is the most crucial in the world of college football recruiting. He was diagnosed the day of the 3rd game of the season, was hospitalized for 10 days, received 5-IVIG treatments, responded to them and started to rehab back into shape. Unfortunately he missed his whole jr. season, he got back and dressed for the last two playoff games that year, but that was it. I am so happy to report that this past Wed., he signed a National Letter of Intent to play football at Eastern Illinois University on a full football scholarship! We are so proud and happy for him, he worked so hard and never gave up. He was able to get back into full football shape and had a very successful year this past season (his Sr. year, and they made it to the State Championship). He was always able to walk, but by the time he was hospitalized he was walking like a very. very old man, and was starting to lose balance, he also lost all reflexes. He just had his last visit w/neuro and got a clean bill of health, reflexes and all strength back to the fullest. Please push to try to get the best physician care you can, we are so lucky to have had the Dr. we did working w/ our son. DONT GIVE UP! BEST OF LUCK TO ALL!

• Anonymous
      February 10, 2008 at 5:02 pm

Nice story to keep in my folder to let teens that get GBS read. It is these sucess stories that give those hope that are just in the first scarey stages of GBS. Let us know how he does during his Football Season. Thank you for sharing with us!

• Anonymous
      March 28, 2008 at 8:19 am

Great success story!