For those on steriods

• Anonymous
      August 9, 2007 at 10:20 pm

Most of you may already know this but I still wanted to pass it along for those who don’t know about steriods and the effect on the body.

Dell went to the endocronologist (spelling?) today. He was pleased with his growth. He’s way under the growth chart but in the past 7 months has gained 3 lbs. and grown 1-1/2 inches. He says it’s better than he expected with him being on high dose solumedrol.

He explained that if Dell was not sick, his body would automatically be making about 3 mg a day of steriods. He’s on 160 mg a week. He said at this point, the important thing is that we get his disease under control then we could wean off of some of the solumedrol.

The reason I’m writing:
      He told me to make sure Dell gets a multi vitamin, 800 units of Vitamin D a day and added calcium. I do not know what an adult should be taking but if you are interested, I would contact your dr. I’m not sure if your neurologist will be able to give you a correct answer, maybe consider consulting an endo.

Hope everyone is surviving this horrible heat, it was in the upper 90’s here today and the humitiy feels like 100%.
      Love, Lori

• Anonymous
      August 10, 2007 at 12:31 am

Lori

You are correct about taking calcium and vitamin D. I’m on 50,000iu of the
      vitamin D (prescription only), yes 50,000iu. I take it once a month, as well as
      a calcium pill. Apparently, the steroids open you up for osteoporisis faster
      than old mother nature. They suck the life out of you…so you definitely need
      supplements.

Miami Girl

• August 10, 2007 at 6:51 am

When I was doing the solumedrol IV treatments they had me on calcium 600 plus d three times a day and a weekly suppliment such as Flosamax. You also need to be good about getting your eyes checked yearly and go in right away if you notice any difference in your eye sight as they can cause caterac {spelling is probably wrong} among other things.