Foot Drop

• Anonymous
      June 11, 2007 at 11:52 pm

Hi All,

It’s more than 3 years I suffered from this disease. I am almost normal except my right ankle. I have a foot drop in my right leg. Thou its not completely dead but I have a walking problem especially in climbing stairs and walking long distances.

I wanted to know, should I continue with physiotherapy. My physiotherapist is not very hopeful of me recovering the distance.

Has someone recovered from ankle drop (or from any other disability) in this disease after such a long time (its more than 3 years for me).

Looking for valuable advice.

Thanks
      Pravesh

• Anonymous
      June 12, 2007 at 12:30 am

I am not saying that it is impossible to see more recovery after 3 years, but realistically probably not. Have you condisered wearing an AFO on the one leg, or is it not that bad? All things considered, it sounds like you are doing really well for one who has CIDP. Good to hear from you again…
      Pam

• June 12, 2007 at 8:21 am

My foot drop never went away completely and I just had my 5 years since dx. It has good days and bad so I’ve come to just rely on AFOs if I’m going to be on my feet for very long. Luckily there are some newer ones that are lighter weight and not so uncomfortible. Mine are ToeOFF by allard and they’re pretty easy to wear.

• Anonymous
      June 12, 2007 at 1:05 pm

[QUOTE=herself]My foot drop never went away completely and I just had my 5 years since dx. It has good days and bad so I’ve come to just rely on AFOs if I’m going to be on my feet for very long. Luckily there are some newer ones that are lighter weight and not so uncomfortible. Mine are ToeOFF by allard and they’re pretty easy to wear.[/QUOTE]
      Herself….i checked their website but no price on ToeOff that i could find. Could you give an estimate for them.. Thanks…..Ericc….

• Anonymous
      June 12, 2007 at 1:55 pm

I use AFO’s, but I have also found that lace boots like a hunting boot or my old desert boots give fairly good support and help with the foot drop.
      If the problem was caused by CIDP it is going to depend on where the nerve was too severely damaged to recover. If it hasn’t been then it needs “rest” to heal. That means not trying to over use the leg mussel as the myelin sheaths rebuilds.
      Never give up hope, but remember over exercise can do more harm than good.

• Anonymous
      June 12, 2007 at 6:09 pm

I bought the Dorsi Straps but i admit i rarely use them as you have velcro straps that pull the feet up buts almost imposible to align both feet the same so one foot is usually pulled up more than the other. I’ll just keep looking….

• June 13, 2007 at 8:09 am

They were a little spendy around 650 each but Medicare paid all but about 200 for both of them. That included the office visit also. I liked them after wearing those plastic ones they mold to your leg. I had gotten pretty sick and lost about 50lbs, the plastic AFOs have to be re-fitted with each weight lose or gain, the ToeOFF will fit as I lose and gain from the meds. Also there is more of a shoe selection as the part that goes in the shoe is really thin and not so bulky, Guess I get to excited over AFOs but after spending a couple of summers in the old ones I’m a happy camper,lol.

• Anonymous
      June 13, 2007 at 8:23 am

How bad is your foot drop and how can physiotherapy help ? If the nerve is damaged badly, how long would it take to heal ? I’ve had foot drop for almost two years now. I can walk ok, I guess. I just have to concentrate and wear certain tennies. Sandals and flip flops are about impossible for me.

Are the afo’s flexible ? I need to look at a website I think.

any advice is appreciated.

Stacey

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2007 at 9:23 am

I’m on my 11th year suffering from CIDP and I wear MAFO (Ankel Braces) on both legs everday, all day. If you want to get the best fit and performance talk to a podiatrist and get a prescription for the Step Smart Brace made by Insightful Products. If you Google: Insightful Products it should come up. Let me know if you need any more help. The company sends a kit to your Dr and he fits the cast that they make the braces from. It’s low profile and much better than anything else I’ve found.

Michael
      Greensboro NC

• Anonymous
      June 18, 2007 at 2:41 pm

Does foot drop and difficulty going up stairs go together???:confused:

Does foot drop and walking long distances go together??:confused:

I have great difficulty with the stairs and stepping up on sidewalks and curbs but my neuro has never said that I have foot drop.

Cathy B

• June 19, 2007 at 6:46 am

Cathy, I have problems with both stairs and distance when it comes to the foot drop. My toes will catch going up. With distance I believe it comes with being tired if on my feet too long.
      Pattie

• Anonymous
      June 19, 2007 at 11:05 am

90% of my damage is in my legs, specifically in my feet. I use the Richie braces, and I’ve had excellent results. Like a few of the posters, a podiatrist worth his or her salt can hook you up. It’s quite a difference in mobility, stability, and most importantly, confidence.

• Anonymous
      July 5, 2007 at 11:08 am

I have been wearing braces for a long time now and they have always been uncomfortable and bulky. About a year ago I was on the internet and found a company that makes low profile orthoics that are comfy. If anyone is interested in better braces for drop-foot google “Step-Smart braces” or click the link [url]www.insightful-products.com[/url]. I would much rather not use any brace but this is the next best thing. I hope it helps someone out there.

MAC34

——————————————————————————–

• Anonymous
      July 5, 2007 at 11:41 am

I tried the whole AFO thing and they worked well at putting sores on my ankles. Like Jim C, I’ve found that waterproof hunting boots work best. Waterproof boots are built with the tongue attached to form a sock like design and they provide excellent ankle support. I also check the sole design to make sure the toe turns upward, you know, like Elf booties, minus the little tassle of course…Dughy

• Anonymous
      July 5, 2007 at 2:54 pm

Hi

My foot drop was the first thing I noticed before my diagnosis on CIDP was
      confirmed…my right foot. I have AFO’s that push my calves forward to be
      able to stand, but I can’t walk.

My physical therapist’s at the hospital say that once the myelin sheath goes
      away, the chance of regeneration is slim to none. The muscles that support
      the Dorsi-palsy (foot drop) run on the outside of the knee to the ankle…it
      is a superficial muscle that needs strengthening…the AFO’s prevent tripping
      and stumbling…you can build strength in your quad’s and hamstrings to allow
      you to walk with some form of assistance: walker, cane, etc. Whether you
      can will be up to your particular case.

I would continue physical therapy…it helps, but, I’m not so sure it will be the
      answer to stopping it. The sheath is the receptor from your brain to move
      the foot…once gone, it can’t receive the impulse to lift up. My PT’s say
      that it’s not the worse thing to happen…if all your other nerves die off in
      your body, then, that’s the worse.

Good luck, get the AFO’s, they do help…mine have hinges that are adjustable
      at the ankle…but you need to have them checked frequently for pressure
      point redness…if that happens, the orthotic must be shaved or molded to
      correct the problem…this happened twice to me, now they are fine.
      Also, you’ll need to buy a shoe one size larger for it to fit. They are not too
      pretty, but they do help.

Miami Girl:D

• July 6, 2007 at 8:20 am

My problem with foot drop and stairs is the foot doesn’t stay up and catches on the stair when going up. Distance is because I get tired, tired feet and legs make my foot drop worse.

• Anonymous
      July 6, 2007 at 5:45 pm

I’m using one SMO, which is a small orthotic and brace to prevent my foot from rolling outward ansd allows the strong part of my foot (which runs out to my big toe) to do the heavy lfting for me. Its hard, thin plastic and hinged at my ankles and strapped above my ankles. A well-fitted brace is a thing of beauty when it helps you walk confidently and without pain.

Foot drop

• Anonymous
      June 11, 2007 at 11:51 pm

Hi All,

It’s more than 3 years I suffered from this disease. I am almost normal except my right ankle. I have a foot drop in my right leg. Thou its not completely dead but I have a walking problem especially in climbing stairs and walking long distances.

I wanted to know, should I continue with physiotherapy. My physiotherapist is not very hopeful of me recovering the distance.

Has someone recovered from ankle drop (or from any other disability) in this disease after such a long time (its more than 3 years for me).

Looking for valuable advice.

Thanks
      Pravesh

• Anonymous
      June 12, 2007 at 10:42 am

pravesh,

besides whatever you do in regards to your physio, constantly try to make the foot do the right thing regardless of outcome. if you don’t, it will accept what it is now doing & not change. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength